HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:06 PM
BANNED

I was under the impression that the Luhrs tower would remain, but the parking garage to the south was going to be demolished for this project. Does that make sense?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:08 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I was under the impression that the Luhrs tower would remain, but the parking garage to the south was going to be demolished for this project. Does that make sense?
The Luhrs tower (which is the white art deco building) is staying. The Luhrs building which is the slightly shorter brick building just East of it staying as well. Whats going is the single story Luhrs Central building which is allegedly unsalvageable.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:16 PM

/\ The Luhrs Central Building is not the 1-story "arcade" between the two towers. The building being demolished is the 2-story building south of the 11-story brick "Luhr's building".
Seen here:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:42 PM

Yes , the arcade is staying and the tower will go between the existing towers, and set back as well, also taking up the 2 story pictured by PHX31. If and when it happens, I think it will be great. I know losing the 2 story building sucks, but keeping both towers and the arcade I see as a great thing. HX would also love to see them somehow keep the facade of the 2 story building and build the new tower, keeping the 2 story facade. that would be really cool.

I would think we are years away from that, considering they are still working on rehabbing the existing towers.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:57 PM
BANNED

Thanks Hoover, Phx31, gymrat for clearing up the confusion.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:19 PM

This is good...very good...but it better not fucking back fire and end up in the demolition of the Luhrs Central Building and then nothing happens. That should be part of the agreement...that nothing shall be demolished or touched until financing is secured and an agreement with a hotel brand is made.

Quote:

ORDINANCE S-36333 -

REDEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT WITH HHLUHRS, LLC

Request to authorize the City Manager, or his designee, to enter into a redevelopment agreement (RDA), leases, easements, and other agreements as necessary (collectively, the Agreements) with HHLuhrs, LLC, or its City approved nominee (collectively, Developer), and for the City Controller to accept and disburse funds for the development of an approximate 315-room select-service/ extended-stay hotel at the northwest corner of Madison Street and Central Avenue (the Property).

The Developer, the owner of the Property, in response to the City's request for mixed-use development proposals, will develop an approximate 315-room select‑service/extended-stay hotel at the southeast corner of the Luhrs block. The limited service hotel will include various amenities, including a bistro bar, no more than 8,000 square feet of meeting facilities, a fitness center, and a swimming pool. The hotel will include a level of furniture, fixtures, finishes, amenities, services, and other characteristics consistent with Courtyard/ Residence Inn by Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites or other similar dual brand hotels.

Under the proposed business terms, the Developer shall pay a performance deposit, in the amount of $50,000, payable fifteen days after Council authorization (Authorization Date) of the terms. Within six months from the Authorization Date, the Developer shall enter into an RDA with the City. Within twelve months from the execution of the RDA, the Developer shall provide an executed franchise agreement with a major hotel brand. Developer will be required to commence construction on the Hotel Project within twenty-four months from the Authorization Date and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for the Hotel Project within twenty-four months from the commencement of construction. A twelve-month extension to commence construction may be granted upon City review and approval of a written request from the Developer that includes a current market study.

Upon the satisfaction of certain requirements, including the timely submission by Developer and City approval of a current environmental report for the Property, the Developer will convey the Property to the City at no cost. The City will enter into a thirty-five year lease with the Developer with lease payments beginning at $5,000 in the first year and increasing to $355,000 in year thirty-five, and pursuant to current state law, the improvements will be eligible for Government Property Lease Excise Tax (GPLET) treatment with the first eight years of GPLET abated. At any time during the term of the lease, the Developer will have the option to repurchase the property for $50,000. All proceeds from the lease, repurchase, or sale of the leasehold shall be deposited in the Downtown Community Reinvestment Fund. Additionally, the City will require a Payment in Lieu of Property Tax from the Developer until the final C of O is issued for the Hotel Project.

The Developer is not permitted to sell, assign, or otherwise transfer its interest in the property or leasehold interest without prior approval by the City unless the transfer is to an affiliate of the Developer. Upon the first sale or transfer of its interest in the property and/or the leasehold interest, the Developer shall make payment to the City as follows: years 1 - 5 $300,000; years 6 - 10 $250,000; years 11 - 15 $200,000; years 16 - 20 $150,000; and years 21 - 35 $100,000. Developer will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500,000 for eligible streetscape improvements that are installed within public right-of-ways that are adjacent to the Luhrs block. The City will provide the reimbursement on a matching expense basis. Developer is required to comply with all provisions of Title 34, Arizona Revised Statutes for the procurement and completions of the eligible streetscape improvements. The agreements may contain such additional terms and conditions deemed necessary or appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:49 PM

By the way, the FAA permit issued 08/2008 shows a maximum allowable height of 264' and 24 stories. It calls the hotel "Phase I" and says it will have a 2 story underground garage.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...eCaseID=591174

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:57 PM

This really is great news. Just to understand, this would be on the SE corner and have nothing to do with the eventual tower between the two Luhrs buildings?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:59 PM

Correct.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
This really is great news. Just to understand, this would be on the SE corner and have nothing to do with the eventual tower between the two Luhrs buildings?
Um...what eventual tower? I thought the Hanji Group - if I'm saying that correctly - was only going to rehab the two existing Luhrs buildings and then build a hotel? I didn't realize there was mention of another building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:17 PM
High Voltage

Don't ask me why, but I have a strong intuition or 'gut feeling' that a W Hotel is going to wind up on that block as part of the plan for a new tower. It is in an ideal location.

Realistically, it is probably just one of my hair-brained pipe dreams. But hey! I like to dream big. It could happen.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Um...what eventual tower? I thought the Hanji Group - if I'm saying that correctly - was only going to rehab the two existing Luhrs buildings and then build a hotel? I didn't realize there was mention of another building.
There are two new buildings that are supposed to go on that block, one being this smaller 24 story hotel, and the other a 36 story 514' mixed-use building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:27 PM

I'm confused about this height. You say this hotel has a maximum height limit of 264' but on the same block there is a maximum height limit for 514'? how does that work?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:27 PM

Would 514' even be allowed on that block per the urban form height limits or whatever height restriction documents there are? I thought someone just said that the Central Station lot has a 483' height limit... I can't believe this lot, closer to the flight paths, would be able to have a 514' building on it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:45 PM
Skyriser

Subtract 1083' from the following:

The SE corner has a 267' limit, and the part where the mixed use tower would go (between the existing taller buildings) has a 517' limit.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:50 PM

On that block, grade is at 1086' above sea level, so if you subtract that from the 1600' allowed, you get 514', which is what they are going for. Maximum allowed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 8:56 PM

That's the map I can never find... thanks. Ok, 514' makes sense, not that it will ever happen.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:52 PM

It is positive news instead of negative or no news...... At this point, it's all we got!!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 10:23 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Would 514' even be allowed on that block per the urban form height limits or whatever height restriction documents there are? I thought someone just said that the Central Station lot has a 483' height limit... I can't believe this lot, closer to the flight paths, would be able to have a 514' building on it.
That was me. Where I got that figure (for the transit station) was from the Urban Form guidelines, which haven't been adopted yet. The Urban Form height limits lower some areas a bit, and raise it in others. The thing Sean posted is the current limits.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 10:29 PM

Man...the lot behind Orpheum Lofts could have a building as high as 542'...how awesome would that be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest