HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:25 PM

Walk from Peel to the Bay, underground or on the street, it's jam pack. It's really a nice alternative when it's freaking -150C like the past 8 weeks. Both work really well in Montreal - one is not cannibalising the other.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:38 PM

there would be no underground network without the Métro. It's basically an underground network so you can go from point A to B without having the need to go outside. The best part... 200 restaurants.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:42 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
How much does an average hole weigh?

Air density, like air pressure, decreases with increasing altitude. It also changes with variation in temperature or humidity. At sea level and at 15 °C, air has a density of approximately 1.225 kg/m3 (0.001225 g/cm3, 0.0023769 slug/ft3, 0.0765 lbm/ft3) according to ISA (International Standard Atmosphere).

Density of air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air

Lets say a tunnel is 1000 metres long, 40 metres wide and 10 metres high. That "hole" would weigh approx. 490 tons. (if it was at sea level and 15 C.)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:39 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
The best part... 200 restaurants.
Yeah, 200 subways, McDonald's, Amirs and Sukiyakis served to you on a paper plate. Big deal.

I'm not hating on the RESO really, but I like it the way it is. I don't want to see it expand to a point where the over-ground downtown becomes irrelevant. I just think that as a Northern city, we should acknowledge that we live in polar weather instead of retreating underground like a bunch of terrified ants. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in this city, but I've been walking down Ste-Cath everyday this winter and yeah it's cold, but I guess I can take it. I've gotten used to the cold. I reckon that if you're always hiding from it underground you never get used to it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yeah, 200 subways, McDonald's, Amirs and Sukiyakis served to you on a paper plate. Big deal.

I'm not hating on the RESO really, but I like it the way it is. I don't want to see it expand to a point where the over-ground downtown becomes irrelevant. I just think that as a Northern city, we should acknowledge that we live in polar weather instead of retreating underground like a bunch of terrified ants. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in this city, but I've been walking down Ste-Cath everyday this winter and yeah it's cold, but I guess I can take it. I've gotten used to the cold. I reckon that if you're always hiding from it underground you never get used to it.
Toronto - PATH and Calgary +15. I know a couple people from Montréal who used the +15 network and all said that it was very useful. In the downtown core, you end up with wind corridors, not good when it's -20c outside.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:22 AM
Give us a kiss

I have used the Réso countless times to go between my office and clients, not having to change into boots and outerwear is super useful. I think in the financial district linking every office building makes a lot of sense.

Outside of that, yeah, leave the street life on the street.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
It's basically an underground network so you can go from point A to B without having the need to go outside.
Thanks for clearing that up for us!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I like being able to leave Waterfront station here, and walk west underground through Waterfront Centre, that way I only have to cross one street to get to my office.

Here is a great shot of the space under West Cordova street. You can see the skytrain guideway, with windows on the lower levels of the Marine Building, that once upon a time looked over the ocean.

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/ball..._0705.jpg.html

Here are some pics of the old postal tunnel from the old Post Office to Waterfront Station:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...line-1.2463624

http://topofmydesk.com/2014/01/20/under-the-street/

Last edited by red-paladin; Feb 20, 2015 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:12 PM
Mooderator

Quote:

I am a pussy in winter, and whenever I have to come to MTL for work, I walk underground amongst that crap, from the train station to the McGill exit near President Kennedy to get to my office on Sherbrooke (where some asshole will shove a metro 'newspaper' in your face.. every time).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:17 PM
Look at me!

Yeah linking Office towers and shopping malls in the CBD is fine. But the idea of linking and connecting every single building in downtown with an underground pathway just makes no sense if you're the type of lad who enjoys busy active streetscapes.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
At least there are Amirs and Sukiyakis, rather than just Rotten Ronnie's, Burger Thing, PFK (poopoo fucking kaka), and Taco Hell.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:50 PM
Mooderator

I am sure there will be an explosion of Tim Horton franchises once the Ottawa LRT is open.

Train doors open, Tim horton -->

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah linking Office towers and shopping malls in the CBD is fine. But the idea of linking and connecting every single building in downtown with an underground pathway just makes no sense if you're the type of lad who enjoys busy active streetscapes.
You make it sound like they're mutually exclusive. Maybe you can point out, out of the 32km already built, areas where the streetscape really sufured because of the underground pathways.

Last night, I walked from the St-Denis area to the place des arts - it sucked, it was hell. I totally believe that a good streetscape is the most important aspect of a city but last night I didn't give a damn and would have loved to have the option of going underground. The underground is great when the elements outside are really bad, which happens a lot here during winter.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:09 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Last night, I walked from the St-Denis area to the place des arts - it sucked, it was hell.
It was -20 last night. I'm sure it sucked!

I blame Netflix.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:12 PM

I was very happy to use the PATH this morning.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:17 PM
Mooderator

When I lived in Toronto, I would walk from King to St. Andrew (to go west), just for a change of pace. I'm glad I did, because I discovered a lot of crap in that underground maze.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:34 PM

Like most people the PATH is only used on the bad weather days. It has very little impact on the streetscape above it. People still use the stores and restaurants above the PATH network. It just makes for a better way to travel by foot on days where you wouldn't want to be on the street unless you had to. Aside from office workers most Torontonians avoid the PATH because they don't know how to navigate it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I found the PATH tricky to navigate (seemed to up and die in various places despite the map saying otherwise), and I am a veteran urban explorer. Montreal's RESO is also not particularly easy to navigate in numerous spots, although I revel in demonstrating my knowledge of the obscure nooks and crannies, byways and sideways, etc. to visitors and to native Montrealais alike.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:32 PM

I always get lost in Montreal's RESO. Most of the time in the underground malls at McGill. I have yet to try the PATH so I can't compare them.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Aside from office workers most Torontonians avoid the PATH because they don't know how to navigate it.
God yes. I avoid PATH whenever I visit because its confusing as hell. They really need to put better wayfinding down there. Maps, signs, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada