HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I've been wanting to hold judgment but I've always felt the renovations are lipstick on a pig. AZ Center is cursed.

The only time I ever wanted to be there when I lived in the area was when they had something like a free concert or show but I don't know if that is still a thing now, and/or extends past first fridays. I doubt the renovations included a stage, but that's one way I'd improve the place: regular programming.

Until they finish buildout of the hotel, residential, and probably another few more towers, I don't see it getting much more activity. There's soooo much vacant space and nobody's going to be opening up retail unless the local demographics significantly improve which won't happen anytime soon.
Actually, they did add a stage right in the middle with tables and chairs around it. The whole renovation is pretty nice looking (I would actually term it more of a re-design than a renovation). They have added a lot of features such as the valet and the new entrance through the valet area, elevators extending to the 3rd level (which I didn't even know existed until the project started), added trees in the shopping plaza and removed some hand railings and installed glass barriers. They are moving towards the upstairs portion of the project. It will be interesting to see what the have planned for the 2nd level.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 9:37 PM
Skyriser

Hmm, maybe I should hold judgment until I see it.

Is there still that architecture firm on the second level?

I've wondered if AZ Center failed because it simply wasn't big enough as well--most malls are around 1,000,000 square feet but the Garden Pavillion (the 3 story?) structure was only 150,000.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:01 PM

We use the AMC quite often - and have dinner/drinks at the az center around once a month...

AMC is definitely not the nicest in town, but it's walking distance and beats getting in a car..

And I believe ASU is using much of the second level. Past few times I've walked through during the day its been packed with students.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Actually, they did add a stage right in the middle with tables and chairs around it. The whole renovation is pretty nice looking (I would actually term it more of a re-design than a renovation). They have added a lot of features such as the valet and the new entrance through the valet area, elevators extending to the 3rd level (which I didn't even know existed until the project started), added trees in the shopping plaza and removed some hand railings and installed glass barriers. They are moving towards the upstairs portion of the project. It will be interesting to see what the have planned for the 2nd level.
I'm baaaccck... j/k, two-three novels and I'll go away:

Everything you noted are superficial design tweaks to a severely flawed site plan and circulation that has failed every design tweak it has undergone since 1990 because no owner has yet to make changes that address the major issues of:
1) inward-facing retail when surrounded now by Herberger, Sheraton, PBC, and ASU
2) massive AMC, parking garage, and office towers that are again eyesores at the ground level
3) having to convert the 2nd floor of retail into office space without a permanent mix of residential/hotel uses

The 2nd and 3rd floors of the Garden Pavilion are office space; elevators and the electronic signage planned on the exterior may look nice, but having 2-story anchors like an H&M, etc., would be much better. The hotel and residential will do little other than add permanent feet; both have been designed with their butts to the street and with little to no additional retail. As mentioned, the remaining retail space is quite limited and likely will never be more than casual/fast-casual dining to support programming and office workers.

The AMC does not function in an urban setting connected to the Center, so the less extensive dream would have:

Basic Updates
Street-fronting addition to L-shaped retail.
Taylor Mall extended for at least pedestrians and bikes through to 5th Street; something like 'the quad' at Scottsdale Quarter with a linear park in the center and retail added to the L building and the AMC.

Crazy Ideas
A more ambitious approach would have replaced the 3rd Street L-portion with 2 floors retail + 3 floors office + 5 floors residential;
Phase 2 would replace the Taylor Mall portion with 2 floors retail + 6 floors creative office.

In both, the interior Garden becomes a Beer Garden with signature Brewery and AZ88-type restaurant in the semi-circle.

Sean- yes, the sq footage is too small to serve as a true mall but an urban theatre and better-designed retail catering to ASU students and Conventioneers was not unfathomable. But, when you consider the extra retail possible along 3rd, wrapping the AMC, on the ground floor of parking, etc., the size jumps quite a bit.

I think the issue, beyond design, is the location at the far north-end of what is the entertainment district. AZ Center, Colliers, Block 23, Cityscape, TSA, and Luhrs could have worked with each other. Instead, they all have failed or become food courts essentially.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:41 PM
Modulator

I know you haven't posted in a while (I'm sure you've been lurking), but there have been a couple renderings posted here and there that show cutting back or eliminating AMC altogether. Although, I would like to see a smaller AMC remain, it remains unclear if what exactly will happen. If they do eliminate AMC even partially, that could open up a Taylor St. extension. Hopefully, the current owners see this opportunity and pursue it. But I think it would be years away if they do.

The AZ Center by itself probably cannot sustain it's own retail. But I do not feel and I think others have also mentioned, it is not due directly towards the inward nature of the mall or the towers. I know of a few downtown malls that are inward facing in other cities and they are doing just fine with this design.

The problem is lack of population in the immediate area of AZ Center and I also feel that lack of a couple of late-night establishments also hurts. I believe this will be addressed with the hotel and residential additions. AZ Center will do fine once these are completed. But until the residential is completed, I think there will only be a slight uptick in business due to the fresh redesign, but nothing stellar.

*Edit: We could all be easily wrong on this. Let's remember that a lot of assumptions are based on PAST experiences with a Downtown Phoenix that has always struggled with population and retail. With the amazing amount of redevelopment going on now and a Downtown Phoenix that has suddenly become the cool destination, is it possible that even AZ Center could turn out to be successful due to the influx of population gain that is occurring in the core right now? I guess it remains to be seen what the end result of all this will be. It could all just die or maybe....just maybe...this could be a new Phoenix and this will be the turning point for a city that desperately needs an urban identity.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:49 PM

^^^ totally agree...hard to gripe and moan about the AMC when it's not even part of the future plans of AZ Center

Also, according to the initial renderings, additional retail footprint is supposed to go across the street from Hooter's (see first page of this thread for reference)

I don't think extending Taylor St to 5th St was ever part of their long term plans as seen below:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 PM
METRO: Encanto

We go to AMC maybe 10 times a year, mostly prior to Oscar night, but haven't eaten in a restaurant there since Sam's went away. Anything worthwhile there?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:12 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/arizona-cente...dential-tower/

Good to hear! Also, AC Hotel is planned to start construction in the summer. Bring on the cranes!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Good to hear! Also, AC Hotel is planned to start construction in the summer. Bring on the cranes!
Boom!! Now I wonder if that rendering we found on NADG site is correct since I don’t see the 8th Floor elements on that rendering? or maybe it’s just on the north side of building and can’t tell?

Quote:
The buyer plans to build a residential high-rise, designed by Will Bruder Architects and Forum Studio, known as Palmcourt Tower. The planned 29-story, 354-unit apartment community will start on the eighth floor sitting on top of the lobby and a seven-floor parking structure. The eighth floor will feature 30,000 square feet of indoor/outdoor space including a fitness and yoga facility, lounges, work spaces and an outdoor roof garden with a pool and spa.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Boom!! Now I wonder if that rendering we found on NADG site is correct since I don’t see the 8th Floor elements on that rendering? or maybe it’s just on the north side of building and can’t tell?
We've had 2 renderings, the newer one (which I like better) and the green, basic looking tower that had floor plans and layouts.

no idea which one is getting built at this point.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
We've had 2 renderings, the newer one (which I like better) and the green, basic looking tower that had floor plans and layouts.

no idea which one is getting built at this point.
Since the article is still stating Will Bruder (which is the green tower), I am inclined to think that's what we'll get. I don't remember that it was ever confirmed the NADG rendering was a selected proposal. I would rather have the NADG for the height. It is clearly 13-14 floors above One AZ Center and make a huge dent in the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Quote:
Cushman & Wakefield completed the sale of 1.3 acres at Arizona Center. Palm Court Tower LP, an entity of North American Development Group (NADG), purchased the land located at the northwest corner of 5th Street and Fillmore Street from AGP Arizona Center Owner, LLC (Parallel Capital Partners and Angelo, Gordon & Co.) for $4.027 million.
The article got the location wrong. It's supposed to be the northwest corner of 5th Street and Van Buren. If that's incorrect, I suppose their information on Will Bruder Architects and Forum Studio being the designers could be wrong as well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 2:19 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Since the article is still stating Will Bruder (which is the green tower), I am inclined to think that's what we'll get. I don't remember that it was ever confirmed the NADG rendering was a selected proposal. I would rather have the NADG for the height. It is clearly 13-14 floors above One AZ Center and make a huge dent in the skyline.
NADG owns the lot. That's what they have on their website. I'm inclined what's on their website is what they intend to build, especially considering it's a value-engineered form of what Bruder came up with.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:58 PM

When do we know which rendering? ....and can we post it when we know which with height. EXCITING!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
When do we know which rendering? ....and can we post it when we know which with height. EXCITING!!!!!
The Will Bruder tower would be about 315'. The NADG tower in my estimate would be about 375' (based off a 9.5' floor plate)...give or take.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:57 PM

I guess I am still confused on which one we will get. Bruder or NADG??? ......

Come on NADG at 375'!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I guess I am still confused on which one we will get. Bruder or NADG??? ......

Come on NADG at 375'!!!!!!!!!
I'm assuming combusean is right and it's the NADG version since the article states NADG purchased the lot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:05 PM

Coverage of proposed Palmcourt Tower.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...ower-underway/

Nothing new that I can see--just says planned for later this year.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 12:48 AM
Modulator

Water is back in the pond at AZ Center. I was hoping they would put nice new rock/gravel in the pond, but it's just nice to see the water again.

Also, new Smoothie Cafe opening called Kwench. First new tenant.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:14 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...new-owner.html

Article about one of the Arizona Center owner partners buying out the other partner's interest in the APS bldg.

There is a reference in the article to a future office tower. I assume that this is simply an error amid some confusion with the planned apartments....

"Ownership shifts have become common as the Arizona Center project continues to evolve. In April, the two groups closed a deal on a roughly acre parcel that is destined to be a $100 million office tower.

The downtown center also is expected to be home to an apartment tower and new hotel in the coming years."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest