HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 12:40 AM

I just don't get the red rabbit thing. Is this just trying to be Sacramento's version of bear peeking in at Denver's convention center? Better than a big, red cow I guess but red rabbit? For Sacramento?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 2:23 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Why not put something that actually makes sense, like a giant palm tree or a locomotive? the rabbit idea is HORRIBLE. Makes no sense and it's totally out of place

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 3:06 AM
Here we stAy

Yeah, the rabbit makes no sense at all. Maybe an elk to recognize the historical wildlife of the valley.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 7:09 AM
NIMBY Hater

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 8:00 AM

A red rabbit? Not in my backyard.

And palm trees are not indigenous to sacramento. They also are a poor representation of sacramento as a city of trees, since they do not fill the same capacity that "real" trees do for this city.

Why not create something that represents Sacramento's relationship to trains. Even though its at an airport ha ha. But its still a rad idea. What I would of hoped from these so called professional artists, is that they would have done some homework about the city. I would have liked to see something about Sacramento's diverse cultures. You know, something that might represent the people actually using the airport. Cultures are chalk full of material for influence for artists, so this surprised me. But maybe that speaks to the caliber of artists that where chosen or maybe more to the panel of judges. Which brings me to this point: who in their right mind would select this as a piece of art that would reside and be functional in its environment. The balance of the object looks so heavy and even threatning They should have sent this guy back to the drawing board.

This is a quote from his site: "The primary problem with most public art, both contemporary and historical, is invisibility." I guess he just corned the market with his red rabbit which sticks out like an iconic turd stuck in the wire structured cage of a shopping cart. Much of his art seems to be about objects in locals that wouldn't be suited for the object. In other words, leaning found art against something or drawing in the attempts at reaching some goal related the juxtaposition of objects. He's none other than an artist in the truest sense in that he seeks to find inner truths. Especially about us here in sacramento in that we are so paranoid and obsessive that we can't wait to get to our luggage. Anyone that has spent time in one of our terminals knows that there is time to eat a small meal before the conveyer is even activated.

By the way i like his Denver bear. Its hella creepy in a sort of mest up uncle looking in on small children sorta way. But at least that has truth with Uncles named Joe.

I'm suggesting this in the same vain of his reasoning as an "artist". My idea goes like this:There should be a bear risking the rushing waters diving and fishing for luggage in a river that would run right through the airport. Wow now there is an idea that represents Sacramento or in the narrowest sense the very real activity of fishing for your luggage on the conveyer or also another symbolic form related to luggage loss and the issues related to getting it back. So who will stand alone and support me. I have at least 21 units of ceramics and sculpture experience, so I kinda know what I'm doing. I could also use the $800,000 to buy some palm trees for my yard to express how wealthy I am.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Yeah, the rabbit makes no sense at all. Maybe an elk to recognize the historical wildlife of the valley.
Er.. anyone who has spent some time in the rural areas of the Sacramento Valley will likely have seen a lot more jack rabbits than elk.
Ever hear the term "hopping on a plane"?

A train? seriously? That makes about as much sense as hanging a giant model plane at the train station. The only train I want to see at airport is the light-rail.

But why not a bird.. being that it's all about flying.. and it would pay homage to the bird migratory habitat that the airport destroyed.

Last edited by ozone; Oct 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 4:28 PM
Here we stAy

Hence why I said historical.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 4:36 PM

Aw...that's sad but true..

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:27 AM

I like the Rabbit.

Tree idea is boring and lame.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:34 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

How about a 3D collage of all the failed highrises in Sac?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 9:05 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Er.. anyone who has spent some time in the rural areas of the Sacramento Valley will likely have seen a lot more jack rabbits than elk.
Ever hear the term "hopping on a plane"?

A train? seriously? That makes about as much sense as hanging a giant model plane at the train station. The only train I want to see at airport is the light-rail.

But why not a bird.. being that it's all about flying.. and it would pay homage to the bird migratory habitat that the airport destroyed.
I agree. No more trains. It's a f**cking airport. I'm keeping an open mind about Mr. Rabbit. Maybe it can be an evil scary rabbit, remember "Donnie Darko" the movie...there was a scary rabbit in that flick.

I think a California Bear would be best attacking a gold panning miner whose fishing for chinook salmon in the american river.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 2:57 AM

Aargh what's up with the forums and their high traffic errors lately?? I wrote a big long post about all the pros and cons of the art, hit 'post' and got that error message. When I went back everything I wrote was gone

Shine it, i'm not going to re-write everything -
Portraits: BORING Bunny: NO Chandelier: YES (if they do it right it could be awesome)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 7:32 AM

In case you missed the Q & A regarding the red rabbit in the Sac Bee a few days ago.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1359057.html

Questions abound on airport rabbit sculpture

By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published: Friday, Oct. 31, 2008 | Page 1B

The county's approval this week of a prominent, red rabbit sculpture for the new Sacramento airport terminal sparked consternation, some chuckles, and plenty of questions among Bee readers.

Here's a peek inside the rabbit hole at how and why public art happens in Sacramento.

Q: What? $800,000 for a rabbit!?

A: Yes, it sounds hare-brained, but here's the context: In 1977, the county created an Art in Public Places program to bring more life to public-funded architecture. The program requires builders of government buildings – such as the airport – to set aside 2 percent of construction costs for art.

The airport expansion is so huge, however, that the county finagled a lower art percentage. It's still a whopping $8 million.

Q: This from a county that can't balance its budget?

A: The $1.27 billion airport expansion – and its art – are financed by the airport account, not the county general fund. The airport is a separate company, so to speak, and pays for itself from fees on airlines, fliers and other airport users.

Q: Why can't the airport give some of this money to the county for more sheriff's deputies or other services?

A: County officials cite a legal barrier between the two accounts. Besides, they say, the artwork is just a small part of a bigger county need to replace outdated Terminal B with a new terminal, add gates for jets, build another parking garage and upgrade Terminal A.

Q: Why should government be buying art when everybody's pocketbook is hurting?

A: That's a legitimate debate. But it's not new. See Paris, Rome, Athens. In 1957, Philadelphia was the first U.S. city to create a public art program. About 450 areas now have them. County supervisors say they believe art invigorates public places and gives them a distinct identity. Art advocates say that goes especially for the airport, which is Sacramento's front portal to the world.

Q: But, really, a 56-foot red rabbit greeting you when you arrive?

A: Really. Advocates say it will do what public art should – get noticed and get people thinking and talking. They might even enjoy it.

Q: So what does the artist have to say about how a big red rabbit and Sacramento go together?

A: Lawrence Argent of Denver says the rabbit will appear to have leapt through the glass walls from the fields outside. It will stretch across several stories of the atrium lobby, racing down toward baggage claim where a stone suitcase with a swirling vortex on its side awaits, seemingly to swallow the rabbit up.

Q: And that means what?

A: Argent, the artist, talks about metaphors and myths and paradoxes, but some local advocates suggest a simpler approach: It's whimsical. Maybe the rabbit is a traveler hurrying to get its suitcase. Maybe it's a child's lost stuffed animal searching for home. Several say they like the view from baggage claim – just two red paws poking down.

Q: It still seems jarring and frivolous. Didn't the panel consider context?

A: They say they did. The rabbit fits the size of the atrium lobby. The red color is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it choice. One art commission official said she was taken aback at first but added that's not unusual. The suitcase art piece in Terminal A's baggage claim had people scratching their heads but has become a favorite.

Q: Why pick an artist from Denver? What about local artists?

A: The first three commissions went to out-of-towners. At least six of the next 11 airport art pieces will be commissioned to Northern California artists.

Q: In the end, though, aren't we going to become known as the red bunny airport?

A: Maybe not. Officials are soliciting ideas for another piece that could be the true signature art at the airport – even bigger and bolder than the bunny. It would sit on the grassy area in front of the new terminal. So, hold onto your hat, though it's not likely an artist will pull another rabbit out of it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 3:14 AM
silly slackergeek

They return in the Spring...

Chatted with some folks who should know and of the three major transcontinental flights disappearing over the winter, all have been rescheduled this spring.

JetBlue:

SMF-JFK returns 5.21.09

USAir

SMF-PHL (Philadelphia) returns 5.10.09

SMF-CLT (Charlotte) returns 6.02.09

SMF should also get one of USAir’s first A-321s no later than next month to PHX.

And then, here’s a very interesting rumor that’s picked up a little steam over the last month. I would normally never pass along a rumor that is still so much in its early phase, but this is just so juicy...

When Northwest and Delta merge, Northwest moves from Terminal B to join Delta in Terminal A. The abandoned Northwest counter and gate are then picked up by Virgin America who uses them to start flights to LA and San Diego. Haven’t been able to get anyone to confirm and I’d give this no better than 30% at this point. But VA is looking to expand in California and will gain new slots at John Wayne airport this spring for flights to SFO and continuing on to SEA. They also have recently picked up several intrastate government contracts. So all I can say is, hmmmmmm….

Virgin America has an outstanding product and would bring a pretty swingin' image to SMF... along with that rabbit of course...

Last edited by travis bickle; Dec 17, 2008 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 3:54 AM
Here we stAy

Landing VA would be awesome if it does happen. Do you think if it doesn't happen now, that they'd be a lock for when the expansion is done in a couple years?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:06 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Landing VA would be awesome if it does happen. Do you think if it doesn't happen now, that they'd be a lock for when the expansion is done in a couple years?
I would say, as long as fuel prices don't spike again, it is a lock even before the expansion. I am told that after Orange County, the two cities they are looking at on the West Coast are Sacramento and Portland.

They are based in California and want to position themselves as California's airline. Also, they very much see the state contracts as a reliable revenue stream in uncertain times and obviously Sacramento provides a great opportunity there.

Sorry for the cliché, but I am told it is a matter of when, not if. For most of this year, that "when" had been 2010. Lately, that has begun to change a little. Just a little mind you... but a change none the less.

Hmmmmmmm...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:09 PM

Elevated tram will keep things moving

By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2008 | Page 1A

The first in an occasional look at Sacramento International Airport's $1.3 billion makeover, one of the biggest public works projects in county history.

Holiday travelers will notice something new this year at Sacramento International Airport – a major construction zone.

Work barriers are up. Excavators are rumbling. And a gaping 16-foot-deep crater marks the foundation for a new four-story terminal and hotel.

While inconveniences are mild now, it raises a question: When the billion-dollar transformation is done in five years, will the airport lose its long-held reputation as easy-in, easy-out?

The answer literally is up in the air.

An automated tram system – called a people mover – will whisk passengers back and forth at about 20 miles per hour on a skyway over the north airfield between the new terminal and a separate jet gateway building.

The airport recently signed a $30 million deal with Bombardier of Canada, a company that has provided people movers for 17 airports, including San Francisco International and the acclaimed new terminal in Beijing, China.

Airport officials say trams will turn a several-minute walk into a 45-second glide – with panoramic views – keeping the expanded airport convenient for Sacramento fliers.

"It's an easy way to transport a lot of people," consultant Brent Kelley of Corgan Associates said. "It's faster than a moving sidewalk."

It represents both a physical and psychological break from what Sacramentans are used to at their airport.

Today fliers do their ticketing, baggage pickup and catch planes all in a single building, either Terminal A or Terminal B. That will no longer be the case when the new terminal replaces antiquated Terminal B.

Ticketing and baggage will be handled in the new four-story central terminal. But the federal security checkpoint and jet gates will be housed 300 yards away in a "remote concourse" building.

For the foreseeable future, Terminal A will remain a self-contained full-service terminal. Someday, however, it too might be served by a people mover, county representatives say. Its ticketing and baggage claim would be moved to the central terminal.

That arrangement would eliminate the traffic congestion problem in front of Terminal A and allow it to add gates, officials said.

Holiday fliers at Sacramento airport offered a mix of opinions last week about the mover, some lauding the convenience, others complaining it's another step between them and their plane.

"At our age, we like anything that can move us without walking," said Rita Raney, a retiree who flew to Sacramento from Wichita, Kan., and enjoys airport people movers. "You usually are tired. You have your hands full."

Some fliers, however, question whether midsized Sacramento needs a big-ticket tram.

"It makes us modern, but could it be overkill?" asked Gregory Ford of Antelope.

Airlines, which pay a percentage of expansion costs, lobbied for a more modest plan.

"They want a Bentley, and we can afford a Chevrolet," Southwest Airlines executive Ron Ricks complained this spring.

Airport director Hardy Acree counters that the $1.3 billion expansion is the right size to handle growth projected for the coming decades, and the people mover is part of a design that gives the airport flexibility to grow more later.

Economic concerns, however, have mounted this year as airlines cut flights amid a historic recession.

Airport officials are scheduled to go to market in two months in hopes of selling up to $500 million in bonds for the project.

Project funding does not involve the county general fund. It's paid by fees on airlines, passengers, parking and companies doing business at the airport.

Airport officials are saying little about the upcoming bond sale. In an e-mail to The Bee, Acree wrote:

"The financial markets remain in flux and too volatile to predict at this point. We will go through our normal process."

Acree has said the airport can save costs by postponing building a second garage.

The people mover idea came about as a solution to a design problem, consultant Kelley said.

Space is limited at the airport, and planners needed to find a way to build new facilities while keeping terminals A and B fully functioning, he said.

To do it, "we made the jump from one long building with long walks to two buildings," Kelley said.

That left the question of how to get fliers from one building to the other.

Designers at first talked about building a tunnel with a rolling sidewalk under the north airfield. But that would be hard to maintain because of the high groundwater table, and traveling underground adds stress for travelers, Kelley said.

After visiting airports around the country, Sacramento officials say they settled on an overhead people mover, with room for expansion.

Kelley said the people mover cost pencils out to no more than if the design were a single building, because it allows for a more efficient construction process.

To get to the people mover, fliers will ride an escalator up one flight in the new terminal to the third level. An alternating pair of automated trams will launch every 80 seconds from the facility's third level, above a double-deck road.

Each hour, the two-tram system would carry up to 3,000 passengers in each direction on an S-curve guideway that alights at the center of the concourse building.

There, passengers will go through security and head either right or left to their gates.

"The farthest walk we'll have is 600 feet," Kelley said. "That's about the walk distance in Terminal A."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 3:26 AM

I'm looking forward to JB's return and hopefully, VA entering the market. Is there any word on any international flights/ routes the airport has had discussions with?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:24 PM

Well, it looks like that grandiose airport project will not be fully complete for several more years as officials are announcing delaying the parking garage, and perhaps, the mid-rise hotel.

Sacramento airport parking garage project postponed
By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009 | Page 1B

With the economy in a tailspin and fewer people flying, Sacramento County officials Tuesday postponed plans to build a second parking garage at Sacramento International Airport and are considering delaying construction of an airport hotel.

Both structures were to be elements of the airport's ongoing billion-dollar-plus expansion.

Construction continues, meanwhile, on the centerpiece features of that expansion, a four-story terminal building in the center of the airport and a separate 19-gate jet concourse building. An automated people mover will ferry passengers between the two.

The terminal is scheduled to open in 2011, and will replace aging Terminal B.

A $161 million multilevel parking garage was to have been built adjacent to the terminal starting in 2012 with completion planned in 2014.

But with passenger levels projected to drop 13 percent this year, a new garage probably won't be needed until at least 2016, airport representatives said.

"I don't have to recite for you what has happened and continues to happen in the airline industry and capital markets," airport director Hardy Acree told Sacramento County's Board of Supervisors.

He said he could not predict when the industry will catch an updraft again. "Nobody's crystal ball is all that reliable at this point."

Originally, officials expected to have to handle 6.8 million passenger boardings by 2016, up from 5.3 million last year.

The new projections are for passenger numbers closer to 5.4 million in 2016.

Despite postponing the garage, airport officials say they still must sell about $500 million in bonds this summer to finance further construction of the terminal and concourse buildings.

That bond sale originally was scheduled this month, but was postponed when the nation's credit markets froze last fall.

The spate of worrisome financial news led Supervisor Jimmie Yee to request airport officials study the possibility of delaying construction of a planned airport hotel. Currently, the hotel is planned to be a part of the new terminal building.

"I'm not saying you have to (delay) it," Yee said. "I am concerned with the economy the way it is; I'd like to look at the pros and cons."

Acree said his staff will report to the supervisors in March on the financial ramifications of postponing the hotel.

County representatives have talked with a private hotel company about a partnership but have not reached a deal.

"We always knew the hotel would be a challenge in light of the current economy," Acree said. The hotel industry's outlook at the moment is as "ugly" as any other industry, he said.

Supervisor Roger Dickinson, a staunch advocate of the airport expansion, said he believes the cutbacks will not change the long-term future of the airport.

"It's a dream deferred, not denied," he said.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 2:54 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

In the above article, when Bizjak talks about 6.8 million passengers and 5.3 million passengers; he must be talking about only one terminal? Have we not already hit the 10 million mark a couple of years ago?

I was at the Amgen 2009 Race today, and the SMF people had a booth set up. The woman in the booth confirmed that the garage would be delayed at least until 2016. She said everything else is on schedule with no delays.

She mentioned that when they connect Terminal A with the Central Terminal with a people mover it would connect where the present day baggage claim is located at Terminal A. Also, she said anyone who wants to bring a sledge hammer on Day 1 of the Terminal B demolition will be allowed take a few swings at it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area