HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:11 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Philco Drive (78745) Neighborhood Construction - Your Thoughts?

My grandma and grandpa built on this cul-de-sac after WWII, and now my cousin lives in the house. She told me last night that there is a guy going around and buying up all the houses as they come available and renovating them. That's perfect fine and welcome. But what he's been doing since July is building casitas (mother-in-law additions) in the backyards of each house. They are 2 bed/2 bath little places and he attempts to cut the driveway into the backyard for access. This street never had enough parking as it is, and it will surely get worse in the future. What will this do to property values? What is your opinion of this type of development? Personally, I don't like it. Neither does anyone in my family. Just wanted to get an unbiased perspective.

Here are a couple of tree permits for 912 Philco. Each one has a different view of the layout of the lot and addition.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10770508

906 Philco

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10774104

900 Philco

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10819291

There are many other permits if you search Philco Drive.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
These are actually great for density. They don't have to be used for mothers-in-law, but are much more often used as rental units for young individuals by future owners. They raise property value tremendously and are a great addition to toolboxes against sprawl. very popular in places like Portland and Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 7:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Yeah, they are definitely going to be rented out. I believe he's actually leasing. I think one is already called Unit B.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
My grandma and grandpa built on this cul-de-sac after WWII, and now my cousin lives in the house. She told me last night that there is a guy going around and buying up all the houses as they come available and renovating them. That's perfect fine and welcome. But what he's been doing since July is building casitas (mother-in-law additions) in the backyards of each house. They are 2 bed/2 bath little places and he attempts to cut the driveway into the backyard for access. This street never had enough parking as it is, and it will surely get worse in the future. What will this do to property values? What is your opinion of this type of development? Personally, I don't like it. Neither does anyone in my family. Just wanted to get an unbiased perspective.

Here are a couple of tree permits for 912 Philco. Each one has a different view of the layout of the lot and addition.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10770508

906 Philco

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10774104

900 Philco

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10819291

There are many other permits if you search Philco Drive.
I favor these and think they should be allowed everywhere in Austin as a matter of right. It's an easy way to add diversity of housing stock for different levels of income, add density to a not very dense city, and make affording steep property taxes easier for those on a fixed income and bring vitality to an area.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:12 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

As I have said before I live just a block or two from there on Jinx Ave. near the intersection of Hank. I think its fine as we are planning on doing the same on our property in about a year or two. Somebody recently tore down a house on Jinx, not far from the Hank intersection and there was a for sale sign on the lot, now its gone. I wonder who bought it and if they are just planning on building a new house there?...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:22 PM

I know someone who bought on that street 10 years ago. The lots are not "normal sized," but more along the lines of 1/4 acre. To put it in perspective my neighborhood with 1/7 acre lots allows casitas, alley flats, or whatever you want to call them. The big difference is the alley access and the parking that can be done in the back of the lot and not in the alley ROW.

There may be a few more cars parking on the street, but in a way that isn't such a bad thing as it slows down traffic.

Is the area zoned for such 2nd unit build-outs? Did they get a variance?

Are there two mailboxes at the curb or does the carrier have to go to each house? There will be a lot of garbage cans and recycle bins come collection day that you will have to dance around.

Overall I prefer to add density even if it does add a little inconvenience occasionally. I also don't like to see renters singled out as second class citizens, after all isn't Austin majority renter?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:20 PM

Probably the city proper is majority renter, although I didn't find stats for Austin itself.

However, the entire Austin area housing stock is majority owner occupied.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ranks-low.html

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I know someone who bought on that street 10 years ago. The lots are not "normal sized," but more along the lines of 1/4 acre. To put it in perspective my neighborhood with 1/7 acre lots allows casitas, alley flats, or whatever you want to call them. The big difference is the alley access and the parking that can be done in the back of the lot and not in the alley ROW.
Yea yard sizes are large, the main reason why my family bought our house in 78. My yard is one of the largest lots with alittle more than half an acre.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin