HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:27 PM

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jun 26, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:53 PM
Ascension

^ Great. Truly great.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:44 AM

The overview satellite on Google Maps is from October 2013. Street view would depend when and where the shot was taken. Most of downtown is from February 2017.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:50 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
The overview satellite on Google Maps is from October 2013. Street view would depend when and where the shot was taken. Most of downtown is from February 2017.
That makes sense. I wouldn't have noticed except for the fact that sooooo much has been built since 10/13. It really illustrates how fast DTLA is transforming.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:
George Lucas Museum Gets Approval From Los Angeles City Council

By Covey E. Son
June 27, 2017

LOS ANGELES— The City Council here formally endorsed a plan to allow “Star Wars” creator George Lucas to build his long-planned art museum, the expected finale to a saga that stretched from Chicago to San Francisco.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday morning to green light the $1.2 billion Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in a neighborhood near his alma mater, the University of Southern California.

Mr. Lucas and his wife, Mellody Hobson, appeared in person at City Hall Tuesday to celebrate the moment—and endure a universe of “Star Wars” puns.

“A long time ago in a city not so far away, two people had a dream for a museum, and we said from the beginning that the force was very strong here in Los Angeles,” Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said at a news conference after the vote.

The couple will also donate over 20,000 pieces of art and film memorabilia, said Don Bacigalupi, the museum’s president.

“We’ve come here to join the other museums in Los Angeles, to be a partner in making Los Angeles a museum city,” Mr. Lucas said. “The goal of the museum is to…inspire people to think outside the box, to imagine whatever you want to imagine.”

Los Angeles’s museum scene has already been rapidly expanding from a foundation that includes world-renowned institutions like the Getty and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The Broad opened in downtown in 2015, featuring the vast collection of Eli Broad, and a slate of new museums are on the horizon or recently opened.

Construction of the Lucas museum will begin early 2018 and is expected to open in 2021, Mr. Bacigalupi said.
Quote:
“Who knew it’d be so hard to give away a museum?” Hobson said, half-joking. “Despite this long journey, the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art was always meant to be in Los Angeles.”

Hobson told the council she grew up in Chicago, scheming about the day she’d be successful enough to create a cultural space for everyone, a space “where I belonged.” Now the chairwoman of the board of directors of DreamWorks Animation, she’s embedded in LA, which she said is experiencing a renaissance.

laloftblog.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:37 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

laloftblog.com
Sweet! Another reason to visit LA!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:00 PM
Ascension

Chicago let this one slip away. The Lucas Museum would've been great for this city (who needs every penny it can get). Owell. Chicago's loss is LA's gain.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:25 PM

tbh wished the George Lucas museum opened up in San Francisco (Treasure Island). He's from the area too but I guess the city didn't want additional traffic.

Oh well, another reason to visit SoCal for me

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Militant Angeleno fb page
LMFAO! This is great

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:21 PM

Have any images been taken of the Wilshire Grand Tower with the Korean Air logo lit up?

I've only seen renderings of the logo on the glass sail. I still can't believe it was approved.

From the renderings I've seen, the logo looks HUGE, and in my opinion it will look as though a Korean flag is flying over Los Angeles as if it were taken over by Korea. Their logo looks too similar to the Korean flag.

Don't get me wrong, I love the diversity of Los Angeles and love all nationalities and races. I used to live in K-town and I have a soft part in my heart for it, but the fact that the Korean Air logo looks like another Nation's flag and will be featured so brightly, and so huge (far larger than any other signage in the downtown skyline) it will send mixed messages. I think the design review board should have downsized the allowable size of the company logo.

I am eager to see real images of what that looks like.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:34 PM
Ascension

In a city that has a logo or some type of sinage on a majority of it's high rises, I see no problem with this. Plus it's LED so it'll change regularly.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 11:23 PM

The LEDs have a cycle from Korean Air to Intercontinental Hotels to no logo and just light design. The only Sign logo I have a problem with is the USBank

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:07 AM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:20 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

That podium is painful to look at. I'm also sick of all these twin/sibling towers.

The height and amount of housing is nice though.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:51 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
That podium is painful to look at. I'm also sick of all these twin/sibling towers.

The height and amount of housing is nice though.
The podium looks fine. Provides nice massing and is wrapped with housing units. Not all podiums are bad, just the ones that look (and are) like giant parking garages.

Love the amount of units in this project. Disappointed the roofs are not flat but it is what it is. Hope the LA Times get to stay in their building.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It just looks like two towers plopped on top of a low-rise structure. They should bring the glassy curtain wall all the way down to the ground level. And that's just one aspect of the design. The overall aesthetic resembles too much of the generic architecture that defines Toronto's skyline.

And yeah, what's going on with the LA Times? Are they looking to relocate?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The podium pays homage to the historic Times building with its pilasters and scale. It's not great, but you can see where the ideas originated.

They might have been better served by following the lead of the base of the Federal Courthouse.

Above the podium, with the illusion of stacked boxes, they did follow the lead of the other residential buildings planned for this area.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
The podium pays homage to the historic Times building with its pilasters and scale. It's not great, but you can see where the ideas originated.
I figured that was the case. Thoughtful idea, poor execution IMO.

I'm also guessing that the middle part of the podium is also meant to pay homage to the horizontal fenestration of the connector between the original and annex portions?

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations