HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
My 401K is doing just fine.
this attitude pretty much sums up the point people are trying to make here about companies profiting off of incentives while others just get kicked out of their homes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
this attitude pretty much sums up the point people are trying to make here about companies profiting off of incentives while others just get kicked out of their homes.
Let's not argue politics too much here. I think we all come here for information and we don't want this to devolve into infighting.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Let's not argue politics too much here. I think we all come here for information and we don't want this to devolve into infighting.
i apologize, these times just have me on edge and ready to pounce.

back to relevant things, anyone hear anything about the hostel on Annunciation and Felicity? it recently closed and looks like it's being completely renovated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9304...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
LSU moves forward with new $100 million Mid-City housing complex for med students
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...49e566da7.html

Pretty massive project - 600 beds of student housing at the corner of Poydras and Galvez. They own a couple of other lots right next to this, would be nice if they worked with the developer to bring some additional housing and maybe retail and hotel to that strip of Poydras. Something like a slightly less luxury South Market would be great near the med school and hospitals.

I agree with you that a mid tier south market district thing would be great to have as that end of pydras is currently kind of a backwater. I just think that would be incredibly hard to pull off as getting retail to move to tulane avenue, let alone poydras between claiborne and s. broad is already difficult. But given time and addition of residents it could at least conceivably happen. I just think that would take decades to build a critical mass of people and more desirable areas like CBD and Tulane ave etc would have to be completely full from a retail perspective and i dont see that happening anytime soon.

After reading the article, the whole thing seems ambitious to me. LSU seems to already have dorms at 70% occupancy. Granted they are outdated but would grad students really spend over 1,000 month to live in a dorm with shared common area etc or spend slightly more per month and have your own apartment? 600 rooms is a lot of people that would have to occupy that building and i am not sure grad students are looking for the dorm room experience IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I agree with you that a mid tier south market district thing would be great to have as that end of pydras is currently kind of a backwater. I just think that would be incredibly hard to pull off as getting retail to move to tulane avenue, let alone poydras between claiborne and s. broad is already difficult. But given time and addition of residents it could at least conceivably happen. I just think that would take decades to build a critical mass of people and more desirable areas like CBD and Tulane ave etc would have to be completely full from a retail perspective and i dont see that happening anytime soon.

After reading the article, the whole thing seems ambitious to me. LSU seems to already have dorms at 70% occupancy. Granted they are outdated but would grad students really spend over 1,000 month to live in a dorm with shared common area etc or spend slightly more per month and have your own apartment? 600 rooms is a lot of people that would have to occupy that building and i am not sure grad students are looking for the dorm room experience IMHO.
I agree it is ambitious and sounds a bit expensive for student housing. But I don't think it's more than what most students are paying, so if it offers the opportunity to be walking distance to the school and hospital, that's very attractive.

That area is certainly desolate now, but not much different than Loyola Ave was before the SMD. Between things like 2424 Tulane and the Charity redevelopment, and now this student housing, that's probably almost 2000 new residents to the area and they will need retail and services. And if they could do some kind of linear park along Poydras between Galvez and Broad, I bet the area would really pop.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:32 PM

The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans to get $40 million upgrade

https://www.nola.com/business/2019/0...n-upgrade.html

The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans on Canal Street will undergo a $40 million renovation starting in May. The work is expected to be complete this fall.

The renovation will update carpeting, décor, furnishing and bathroom features in 451 of the hotel’s 527 rooms, according to a news release. Treatment rooms and the salon in the hotel’s 25,000-square-foot spa will also be updated over the summer.

Annie Jones, communications manager for The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans, said the renovation work — a project the hotel is calling its “redeux” — is currently set to take place from May through the end of October. Jones said the goal is to “brighten everything up, make it more streamlined, while still maintaining some whimsy” and New Orleans-specific touches. She noted the detailing on the dressers and guest room headboards, which have a design that reference the wrought iron seen throughout the French Quarter.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
LSU moves forward with new $100 million Mid-City housing complex for med students
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...49e566da7.html

Pretty massive project - 600 beds of student housing at the corner of Poydras and Galvez. They own a couple of other lots right next to this, would be nice if they worked with the developer to bring some additional housing and maybe retail and hotel to that strip of Poydras. Something like a slightly less luxury South Market would be great near the med school and hospitals.
Do you or does anyone else have any insight as to why they would build the building on this lot? With all the parking lots, it could be better connected closer to Tulane Ave. The only real benefit that I see would be being close to campus late at night. As a student in the medical district, we see some crime every so often and much of it is at night, so I could see people wanting to live in something attached to the hospital buildings or classrooms, similar to what Tulane has attached to the hospital or medical school. Personally, I don't see why people would live in a dorm unless they wanted to live attached to campus since New Orleans is such a vibrant neighborhood city and there are some good deals on rent in mid-city just a few mins bike/drive/bus/streetcar away.

Maybe if these are more suite/apartment type buildings it could be cool to be living with classmates. As of now, the Saulet is a faux-dorm for first year students as its prices are kind of comparable to the dorms and its much nicer facilities. I didn't live there but many in my class did who were from out of state and did not know the city well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
its not your home if you dont own it.. no one gets kicked out of place they dont own. the hyperbole is getting old

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
https://www.nola.com/business/2019/0...n-upgrade.html

The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans on Canal Street will undergo a $40 million renovation starting in May. The work is expected to be complete this fall.

The renovation will update carpeting, décor, furnishing and bathroom features in 451 of the hotel’s 527 rooms, according to a news release. Treatment rooms and the salon in the hotel’s 25,000-square-foot spa will also be updated over the summer.

Annie Jones, communications manager for The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans, said the renovation work — a project the hotel is calling its “redeux” — is currently set to take place from May through the end of October. Jones said the goal is to “brighten everything up, make it more streamlined, while still maintaining some whimsy” and New Orleans-specific touches. She noted the detailing on the dressers and guest room headboards, which have a design that reference the wrought iron seen throughout the French Quarter.

I love how they pretend its not because of the Four Seasons lol... that said they def need the upgrade! .. im going to Four Seasons sales center next week so will give an update after that

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 1:14 PM
-

Long-Term Infrastructure Development Plan
Status
Conceptual

Sector
Public - City
Estimated Value
$83,800,000

Project Type
New Construction,
Site Work

Building Use
Transportation Terminals - Airport
Description
Site work and new construction of a transportation facility in New Orleans, Louisiana. Conceptual plans call for the construction of a transportation facility.
Construction of new terminal facility and related infrastructure on north side of airport property.
As of March 14, 2019, Project is Included City of New Orleans FY 2019-2023 CIP. Bidding documents, design team or contractor selection has not been released. A firm timeline has not been established. *
*Project information has been obtained through a public capital improvement plan (CIP). A CIP is a financial schedule for short- and long-range projects which is updated regularly. Information listed in the CIP often evolves based on funding availability and the project details, including timeline and value, are subject to change. The content management team will continue to pursue additional details as they become available.

333 Canal St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:J3DKYA
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Anderson John
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/20/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Re-demising of interior lease space, renovations to facade, and mechanical and electrical service modifications for future tenants, The Shops at Canal Place, first floor at corner of Canal St and N. Peters street.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 2:16 PM
-

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 2:25 PM
-

3601 Canal St, Unit A·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:LNS1Q2
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Mhic Tri Development
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/22/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
CHANGE OF USE of one ground floor unit to office. No renovation. Attached release letter from SFM.

djsnola
4133 Banks St·New Construction · Ref Code:58N7FF
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Scott Evans
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/22/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of an Administration Building addition at Jesuit High School. The scope of work also includes the renovation of two thirds of an existing boiler room. Brick masonry construction with curtain wall, new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, new elevator and stairs.

400 Harrison Ave, Suite 101·Attached Sign · Ref Code:0MA3DE
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Daniel Dicharry
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/22/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Attached signs on building for 400 Harrison Suite 101 - We are proposing that there be 3 signs on the side of the building - the first sign Toy Shoppe is 12" tall and 7’-10" wide - the second sign Little Pnuts is 3’-4" tall and 6’ wide - the third sign Party Boutique is 12" tall and 8’-6" wide

546 Carondelet St·Attached Sign · Ref Code:KFBNFS
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Edr Architects
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/20/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Canopy signage of hotel name.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 4:40 PM
-

NEW ORLEANS ERNEST N. MORIAL CONVENTION CENTER CELEBRATES CONSTRUCTION MILESTONE
Posted on March 14, 2019

The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center – the sixth largest Convention Center in the nation – recently held a “Topping Out” Ceremony to celebrate a milestone in the construction of a $65 million transformation of Convention Center Boulevard, stretching from Poydras Street upriver to Henderson Street. The project, approved in May 2015 by the New Orleans Exhibition Hall Authority (Authority), the governing board of the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, will connect the expansive Warehouse/Arts District with the Central Business District and historic French Quarter by improving the out-of-town guest experience for visitors while creating new outdoor attractions for residents.

Key design elements include a tree-lined pedestrian promenade, covered terraces, outdoor event spaces, interactive water features, green walls, shaded communal gathering areas and public art. Roadways and intersections within the Warehouse District will be improved as well to ease travel to and from the CBD. Shuttles, taxis and ride shares will centralize in a new Transportation Center being developed at the foot of Calliope Streets terminating at Hall G.

The highest point of the project will be the canopy over Convention Center Boulevard where the Topping Out occurred. The 215 foot long canopy that terminates at Hall G will cover the attendees arriving at the Center by shuttle bus, ride shares and taxis.

These improvements are part of a $557 million five-year modernization plan that will transform the guest experience including reimagined meeting rooms, restrooms and public spaces. Negotiations are underway to develop a 1,200 room headquarters hotel connected to the Center. The hotel will be surrounded with a 39-acre mixed-use project on an adjacent tract owned by the Authority.

The Pedestrian Park Project is expected to be complete by late 2020.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/S5l2hFHZJhk

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 1:43 AM

The new windows being installed on the Four Seasons look great.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The new windows being installed on the Four Seasons look great.
I agree .. really gives the building a fresh look

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 3:56 PM
-

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:26 PM
-

Residence Inn St Charles Ave

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:28 PM
-

Hostel International

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:31 PM
-

1036 and 1032 Canal

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:31 PM
-

The Canopy Hilton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations