HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
Perhaps I'm misremembering the design commissions comments, but I don't recall them saying anything that would have have compelled them to completely alter the design. I'd call it a gross overreaction if that's the rational. Whatever the case, I'm intrigued to hear their take on the new iteration.
The Commission's Summary Memo encouraged "a total rethinking of the building", noting it's "schizophrenic quality" and "alien character". Pretty harsh, and undoubtedly what prompted such a dramatic design change.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:27 AM

Wow yeah, you're right. Somehow I totally missed that. Uncalled for reaction by the design commission if you ask me - I liked the original design, whether or not it was too "conservative" (read early 2000s).

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:08 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:48 PM
Karma Police

I like this new design much better than the old one. The old design seemed extremely disjointed and sloppy IMO, with a lot of unnecessary angles and shapes. Here, the randomness is a little more coherent and not as forced.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I like this new design much better than the old one. The old design seemed extremely disjointed and sloppy IMO, with a lot of unnecessary angles and shapes. Here, the randomness is a little more coherent and not as forced.
I agree, that this is more coherent design. My concern about this new one is:

1. Can they pull off the detailing and construction in a way that looks good. This firm is new and may not have the experience needed. A design like this could easily be poorly executed and look really bad.

2. I'm concerned this is yet another attention-getting project along Burnside. The simple elegance of the historic arcade is getting lost amid all the architectural one upmanship we're seeing.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:02 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltJ View Post
I agree, that this is more coherent design. My concern about this new one is:

2. I'm concerned this is yet another attention-getting project along Burnside. The simple elegance of the historic arcade is getting lost amid all the architectural one upmanship we're seeing.
I am also somewhat in agreement with Item 2. The design guideline to continue the E. Burnside arcades is only marginally satisfied by the random projections and cantilevers of recent proposals. I hope that there will be upcoming projects that utilize columns to form an arcade, in fact, a "loggia" that defines a public space that is more intimate than merely coverage provided by cantilevers.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:27 AM

Well, any of the recent projects on Burnside satisfy the guideline in a more real way that the Trio Club, which was approved through design review:

Quote:
A5-1. Reinforce the Effect of Arcaded Buildings Fronting on East Burnside Street.
Maintain, continue, and reinforce the effect of sidewalk arcaded buildings fronting on East Burnside Street.

Findings for A5 & A5-1: All the new improvements along the East Burnside right-of-way will be maintained and the new development will enhance these improvements by providing additional street trees and on-site stormwater facilities as well as rebuilding portions of the existing eastern sidewalk to current City standards. The development of a single-story building tight to the street lot lines maintains the effect of the existing sidewalk arcaded buildings fronting East Burnside. There is no existing arcade currently on the site. These guidelines are therefore met.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well, any of the recent projects on Burnside satisfy the guideline in a more real way that the Trio Club, which was approved through design review:
I've long ascribed to the theory that the effort and care you put into a design for a jurisdictional design review process will be directly proportional to the amount of scrutiny you receive from the committee. I've seen the most heinous shit fly unencumbered through while something that was obviously done with a higher design proficiency get hung up in the process while the merits of this or that get "discussed". it's not just Portland, but all over this region.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 11:16 PM

A demolition permit for the existing building has been issued.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland