HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:11 PM

How about this one:

Anybody who has lived in Portland long enough has experienced the disaster that is the network of roads around I-405, Barbur, and the Ross Island Bridge. During the evening rush-hour it can take upwards of 20 minutes to get from Barbur onto I-405N due to the absurd traffic lights and horrendous traffic.

It has been this way for at least the last decade.

I heard a while back that there were ongoing studies to figure out how to route people from I-405S onto the Ross Island Bridge and to fix that entire mess of roads. Has there been any progress on this?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:45 PM

^nope

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

News of that kind of info should go under the transportation thread.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:18 PM
Karma Police

^^^^
.... if there's any new news. Otherwise, it's just a rumor.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 1:12 AM

Has anyone else heard that OHSU is planning to reskin its main hospital on Marquam Hill? I was surprised to hear this given their recent financial woes. But maybe it's an energy conservation measure that will save money over time. Good for them if that's the case.

Any ideas what this might look like? Or what the justification might be?

Photo from Flickr.com

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:14 PM
Well designed mixed use

Here's the best rumor I've heard in a long time. Randy Gragg, who is about to launch his new magazine Portland spaces, is also launching a development web site that will report original news and development oriented material. I'm not sure when this is happening, but it's just what PDX needs.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Here's the best rumor I've heard in a long time. Randy Gragg, who is about to launch his new magazine Portland spaces, is also launching a development web site that will report original news and development oriented material. I'm not sure when this is happening, but it's just what PDX needs.
I can't wait for this magazine. I also have a fair amount of photography that I'm planning on submitting to them once they get rolling.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 2:55 AM

New Rumor:

So, I was looking at the Honeyman Hardware lofts today, and the receptionist told me that the complex will be going month to month starting next February. They anticipate the low brick building on the corner of Park and Hoyt will be demolished and replaced by a 12 story apartment building.

They said the plans were finalized, but they haven't submitted the plans for approval. Anyone heard of this?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 3:53 AM

yeah, in january they submitted plans to do just what you've described, only i think at the time the plan was for a 10-story building.

here are a couple pics i extracted from the pre-app document:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 9:08 PM

I bumped up the thread...I think it was archived...glad to hear it is moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 3:27 AM

Rumor has it...

Sage Hospitality (developer of The Nines, and the new Courtyard) is experiencing serious financial issues.

The rates at The Nines can now be found for as low as $99 a night!!! Sage has significant debt, and the hotel market is crumbling.

Would be very ironic if the Courtyard project didn't get finished and sat vacant another 20 years...(I know that isn't going to happen...but...)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Rumor has it...

Sage Hospitality (developer of The Nines, and the new Courtyard) is experiencing serious financial issues.

The rates at The Nines can now be found for as low as $99 a night!!! Sage has significant debt, and the hotel market is crumbling.

Would be very ironic if the Courtyard project didn't get finished and sat vacant another 20 years...(I know that isn't going to happen...but...)
Ironic? That's how you feel about the current economic situation facing developers and hoteliers, that it's ironic? Good grief.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:41 AM

^ you forgot "Charlie Brown"

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:00 PM

I'm sure the hotel would be successful if they only built it taller.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 8:19 PM
A before E

if anything, this will definitely put the ego at the Nines in check. I have a feeling that they felt they were going to be above this issue because they were the new premier hotel on the market.

Shame they didnt finish this hotel a year earlier, it would of been a better market to come out in and they would of been able to balance it out more with this downturn.

Actually, if the Nines wants to be successful they need to do it Lucia style. The reason the Lucia became successful is because they did internet discount companies like it was no bodies business. While it didnt bring in wealthy clientele at first, it did help spread the word about them quickly and gave them tons of reviews because of it.

Also, if the Nines jumped on board with that, it would be a great time for people in Portland to enjoy a night at a luxury hotel downtown for little to nothing.

Also, when is the finish date for the Marriott? That hotel should be fine if it comes on market during the summer, plus on top of that, it will be geared towards extended stay which is going to appeal to anyone who is in Portland for long periods of time, this would definitely cut down their costs.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear
Ironic? That's how you feel about the current economic situation facing developers and hoteliers, that it's ironic? Good grief.
Yes, ironic that the Courtyard building sat empty for 20 years, and could sit empty for another 20 with a new skin.

No, I don't find the current economic situation facing developers and hoteliers ironic...

chill peeps.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
chill peeps.
whatever

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:14 AM

Rumor has it...

Something is happening on the block between 4th & 5th, and Market & Mill. It's kitty corner from Keller Fountain block. The block was recently fenced off and it appears as if site demolition is beginning. I'm not to active in the Portland threads, so maybe this is being discussed already. Does anyone know?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:14 AM

I ride the streetcar past there everyday & have no clue what is going on there right now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Rumor has it...

Something is happening on the block between 4th & 5th, and Market & Mill. It's kitty corner from Keller Fountain block. The block was recently fenced off and it appears as if site demolition is beginning. I'm not to active in the Portland threads, so maybe this is being discussed already. Does anyone know?
nothing to get excited about, it's a new stone retaining wall to replace the old stone retaining wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland