HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 6:36 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 4:30 PM

I'm amazed at how fast this one is going up!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 1:07 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 8:40 PM

These don't seem to have been posted in this thread yet. Beautiful images by Baumberger Studio for Boora.

I also put some floor plans / general info up here. Oh, and Mark - can you change the thread title to 178' | 16 floors? Thanks.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:01 PM

Thanks maccinnich! I find myself checking nextportland.com more than once a day now.. Great work.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:10 PM

Its an odd difference of culture when comparing these new Portland buildings with what is being done up in Vancouver BC. It looks like every building going up in BC wouldn't dream of not providing some outdoor space for residence. Balconies dominate the building type giving the buildings are far more diverse look, breaking up mass with livability. Here we stagger windows. Is it a cost thing? I do think its a dangerous design choice as the pressure on outside resources will be exacerbated because the internal builds don't offer a private space. It also very cold, flat design. Green life doesn't drip from the building to offset the cold glass and steel as it does up there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Its an odd difference of culture when comparing these new Portland buildings with what is being done up in Vancouver BC. It looks like every building going up in BC wouldn't dream of not providing some outdoor space for residence. Balconies dominate the building type giving the buildings are far more diverse look, breaking up mass with livability. Here we stagger windows. Is it a cost thing? I do think its a dangerous design choice as the pressure on outside resources will be exacerbated because the internal builds don't offer a private space. It also very cold, flat design. Green life doesn't drip from the building to offset the cold glass and steel as it does up there.
To me, towers with balconies look cluttered and a bit like old-school housing projects. I, for one, am glad Portland is not following Vancouver's design culture.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:58 PM

Form over function. Looks great in images, bad to live in.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:01 PM

I am 100% a fan of balconies over not having them. It extends the activity to the outdoors and enriches the social experience versus a bunch of tall glass and steel facades much the way that windows on the ground floors of buildings do.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:21 AM

A few shots from yesterday. I especially like the brickwork on the smaller building.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:32 AM

I'm surprised at how fast the brick is going up on this one, given how painfully slowly the brick was done on the Parker.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:33 AM

As much as I want to eventually move back downtown, I need a sizable balcony to consider it even an option. These buildings are fine for most people though. Many cities have required private outdoor spaces, even in high rises. Perhaps Vancouver does. I would rather not have it mandated, so that it doesn't control the design, but that said, I'm not seeing many new buildings provide that.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
I do think its a dangerous design choice as the pressure on outside resources will be exacerbated because the internal builds don't offer a private space.
Given that Portland Parks & Recreation charges an SDC of $5,528 per unit of housing in the Central City, I'm not really worried about the impact of new development. This building alone will have paid $1.5 million into the City bank account dedicated to building new parks.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:24 AM

More night photos, if my count is correct, Block 17 is one floor away from topping out.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:30 AM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:10 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:28 PM

A few shots from this afternoon:

IMG_9754 by rydie34, on Flickr

IMG_9770 by rydie34, on Flickr

IMG_9766 by rydie34, on Flickr

IMG_9772 by rydie34, on Flickr

IMG_9764 by rydie34, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:12 AM
A before E

I like the tower, I am not liking the stubby little brother.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I like the tower, I am not liking the stubby little brother.
Interesting - I really like the brick low rise best. It's simple, well detailed, urban, great at the street with the live work units, porches, entry canopies....the white brick looks great with the green landscape of the park. I like how it continues the scale of the adjacent and nearby 4-6 story buildings and it feels like a good scale on the park- mitigating the scale of the tower behind.

To me, the 17 tower is ok- efficient although not beautiful. It's an ok backdrop to the more beautiful low rise.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 10:52 AM
obit anus, abit onus

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
Interesting - I really like the brick low rise best. It's simple, well detailed, urban, great at the street with the live work units, porches, entry canopies....the white brick looks great with the green landscape of the park. I like how it continues the scale of the adjacent and nearby 4-6 story buildings and it feels like a good scale on the park- mitigating the scale of the tower behind.

To me, the 17 tower is ok- efficient although not beautiful. It's an ok backdrop to the more beautiful low rise.
I agree! I'd also add that the asymmetry of the 'stubby' building's facade is ever-just-so unsettling, as though a piece of twentieth-century urban fabric had been scrambled by a computer virus... for the impressionable kids playing on that playground, providing just that modicum of frisson that visually reminds them they're in Portland.

Whereas the best that can be said of the tower is that it's surprisingly wraithlike, all that glass and retro-patterned monotony helping such a massive building to seem like just so much pixelated background noise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland