HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:36 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Thousands. =P

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 6:44 PM

Spooky rubble

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 2:00 PM

Walked by the site last nite, the Thai place is now history. Anytime now, they should be excavating! This is sooooo exiting!!!!

Will check there on Monday to see what's up. I oughta check out the 1st & Main site and see if that's going on yet.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 3:29 PM
Karma Police

The Thai place has some asbestos abatement that has to happen before it's demo'd. I don't know how fast that's progressing, but it could be another month. It's a very tedious process. But otherwise, it's still good to see progress on this site.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 5:54 PM

no renders in this thread? what a travisty

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:42 PM
Karma Police

Nice.
Thanks Dougall.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 12:35 AM

God thats pretty... I like how the face has been broken up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 12:51 AM

I like everything about the top I just keep remembering that there could have been wind turbines on the top. oh well

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 3:53 PM

so I had a chance to meet up with my friend from Gerding Edlen this weekend for a few drinks. I was dying to ask him about the Silverado block but knew he'd clam up if I asked too early. So we talked about ZGF, briefly about the submitted RFP for the 10th and Yamhill smart park (nothing new he could or would tell me there) but after a few drinks I brought up the Silverado block.

Though it isn't finalized, GE is looking to create a miniature 'Time Square' bridging the Pearl and the West End. The Silverado block will be demolished, but they are saving the pie shaped ornate annex building next door. The new building will be only a few stories taller than the current building, but should have a 'cutting edge' design, however it isn't decided whether they are building office space or apartment/condos (well at least he was being coy about that). Within 60 days Silverado and Club Portland should be closed, and demolition could begin this summer. Depending on the couplet, they'd like to create a larger pedestrian island/sliver park, possibly blocking off one of the two streets that intersect at Stark and Burnside.

From what I can remember (I was drinking too) that was about it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:56 PM
Criss Crosser of Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The Silverado block will be demolished, but they are saving the pie shaped ornate annex building next door.
I'm glad to hear they're saving the flatiron building. It's small, but very cute. As for the rest of the block, they can have at it! I hope the "cutting edge" design actually turns out cutting edge; it would be a nice splash for that area.

Has anybody yet heard for sure whether Silverado and/or Club Portland will be relocating?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:58 PM
Well designed mixed use

I heard that both are looking for space in Old Town, along with the Eagle, which will open a gay club next to Magic Gardens. Old Town is going to be a huge nightlife destination unlike anything the city has ever seen.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:11 PM

I can see Silverado going to Old Town, but would be somewhat surprised if Club PDX did, but you never know...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher519 View Post
I'm glad to hear they're saving the flatiron building. It's small, but very cute. As for the rest of the block, they can have at it! I hope the "cutting edge" design actually turns out cutting edge; it would be a nice splash for that area.
Yes, the tiny wedge shape building (Ringler's Annex) stays. It's actually a separate lot with a different owner.

I saw a preliminary rendering (very preliminary) of the 7-8 story glass and LED wrapped new building they would put there if the existing building doesn't pencil out and is removed. Very cool!! Especially with the tiny flatiron at the corner juxtaposed against it. It's still very preliminary (did I mention it's very preliminary?) But a very promising start. It would be a focal point joining the Pearl and the West End.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:22 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
I can see Silverado going to Old Town, but would be somewhat surprised if Club PDX did, but you never know...
Yeah, I think OT/CT could be too expensive for that use. If they relocate, it'll probably be close-in eastside. Although they may want to pay the extra rent to be close to the gay bars.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:27 PM

Sounds cool - I'd love to see something like this to bridge the Pearl with the rest of DT.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Oh my god. Are you guys kidding? Times... muahahaha!

Although I'd rather have Tokyo's Ginza than Times Square, to tell the truth.
(this just sounds wrong tho, comparing little 'ol PDX to either NYC or Tokyo!!!)

Maybe they could do something creative with the facade, ala the Dior store in Tokyo?

...on seconds thoughts, I think it's going to take a lot more than this to turn it into either place!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 1:59 AM
Bears of antiquity

We need to get them to try, though-- that'd be awesome

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 2:53 PM

okay Zilfondel, we get your point. To be truthful, I kinda smirked when he used that term as well, but this is their dream and we are all just pawns in their game...in any case, I think he used to term to describe a central square for the city with bright lights, shops, restaurants, night clubs, all within a pedestrian heavy few blocks. Maybe central hub/square would have been a better description than a Portland 'Times Square'?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:54 PM
Karma Police

This is more like what I saw at Gerding/Edlen. A 7-8 story glass wedge-shaped box with the teeny tiny Ringler's Annex in the foreground.

I don't think Times Square is the right analogy here. This building will be more like a brightly-lit beacon, not a public square surrounded by competing advertisements.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:57 PM
Well designed mixed use

I expect something bold. That intersection is a Gateway to lots of Goodman property. Goodbye parking lots!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland