HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:11 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Hmmm, some of those store comparisons seem off.

Firstly, there's no Saks in dt Calgary; did they mean Holts?
Has the dt Toronto Saks moved or expanded recently? When I was there in the summer, it seemed like a temporary location within The Bay. One minute you're in The Bay, then Saks, then you turn a corner and you're in The Bay again. I was in a rush with my three year old in tow, but it definitely didn't seem like a dedicated store, and certainly not 170k sf

Either way, the new store in Montreal sounds very nice!
The Toronto store has matured now and filled up all it's space, but who the f%$k in Toronto is buying those $4000 jackets??

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
The Toronto store has matured now and filled up all it's space, but who the f%$k in Toronto is buying those $4000 jackets??
You'd be surprised how many delusional, label obsessed, more money than sense people there are out there. How else would cupcake shops, flavoured olive oil, build a bear stores ever have been a thing.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I shop at Sobeys, can I apply too????
Give it time ...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:46 PM

Parody of Galen Weston on 22 Minutes from a number of years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQYzu63f4M

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:40 AM

you can get a $25 gift card or rebate or something from loblaws if you purchased bread at one of their stores prior to march 2015, all you have to do is register and fill out an online form, i believe it starts jan 8. I will try find the link again.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you can get a $25 gift card or rebate or something from loblaws if you purchased bread at one of their stores prior to march 2015, all you have to do is register and fill out an online form, i believe it starts jan 8. I will try find the link again.
Here is the link: https://loblawcard.ca/

Basically collusion with the other big national bakeries and retails to price fix. Since price fixing is not legal, Loblaws must be punished, and giving out $25 gift certificates is a good start at a punishment.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Here is the link: https://loblawcard.ca/

Basically collusion with the other big national bakeries and retails to price fix. Since price fixing is not legal, Loblaws must be punished, and giving out $25 gift certificates is a good start at a punishment.
Since they've been granted immunity from prosecution, it would be more the whole enchilada than a "good start".

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Video Link

Galen Weston Jr. may be the world's biggest dweeb. What a pencil neck.

The person with the most pencil neck in the entire world is undoubtedly bashar assad.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Since they've been granted immunity from prosecution, it would be more the whole enchilada than a "good start".
In the age of social media, corporations fear public outcry almost as much if not more than prosecution. There reputation will be run through the mud, now when the free give away starts. It will be run through again when the site opens for registration. Then again when it is getting near to close. Then again after it closes and people who procrastinated are outraged they did not get their $25 gift card. Because it is $25, it will get shared around on facebook.

After it all settles CBC Marketplace will likely do a 30 minute piece on them. Excepts of it will be put into various news programs.

They will spend more time trying to restore their good name after it is all done than any fine.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:45 PM
gettin' rich!

Samsung Store - Yonge Dundas

Looking quite ordinary

p

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:47 PM

Merchandise bursting into flames should make it much more lively....

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Samsung Store - Yonge Dundas

Looking quite ordinary

p
The Eaton Centre also has a Microsoft Store. I've never looked inside but I'm curious what exactly they could sell other than Windows Phones, as all their software (Windows, Office, etc) is sold and distributed online now. I'm guessing they mostly do tech support. The inside of the store was very small compared to the Apple Store nearby.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:11 PM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The Eaton Centre also has a Microsoft Store. I've never looked inside but I'm curious what exactly they could sell other than Windows Phones, as all their software (Windows, Office, etc) is sold and distributed online now. I'm guessing they mostly do tech support. The inside of the store was very small compared to the Apple Store nearby.
I bought my Razer Phone at the MS store. I compared it to the iphone 8 plus, Note 8 and Asus Zenfone 4 and decided after listening to the fantastic audio quality the Razer made the most sense. It's so good I rarely use headphones anymore at home.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:34 PM

Likely sell Xbox stuff also. Never been in the place though.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:43 PM

they sell xbox stuff, games, curved screens, etc, the ones here are always really busy

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:36 AM

I wrote this in the "Dead Malls of Canada" thread but thought it should be posted here.

Wow didn't realize that Hart has a new logo. I've been to Hart stores in Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury and some in Quebec. (Rouyn-Noranda, La Sarre, Amos, etc.) There are many locations in Quebec.

That is a chain of stores that could potentially grow much more. I've noticed now that there are a number of locations in Southern Ontario as well as a few in New Brunswick. Hart could become the next Zellers/Target but with few departments.

Another similar chain which is also Quebec-based is Rossy. There is only one location in Ontario (Greater Sudbury) but many in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

I also put Giant Tiger (based in Ottawa) into the same category as Hart and Rossy although I'd say that GT has become very boring compared to the two others and could be in trouble in the near future. Rossy and Hart tend to focus more on style and trends rather than simply being a discount store.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a merger between any of the three store chains I mentioned above.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I wrote this in the "Dead Malls of Canada" thread but thought it should be posted here.

Wow didn't realize that Hart has a new logo. I've been to Hart stores in Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury and some in Quebec. (Rouyn-Noranda, La Sarre, Amos, etc.) There are many locations in Quebec.

That is a chain of stores that could potentially grow much more. I've noticed now that there are a number of locations in Southern Ontario as well as a few in New Brunswick. Hart could become the next Zellers/Target but with few departments.

Another similar chain which is also Quebec-based is Rossy. There is only one location in Ontario (Greater Sudbury) but many in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

I also put Giant Tiger (based in Ottawa) into the same category as Hart and Rossy although I'd say that GT has become very boring compared to the two others and could be in trouble in the near future. Rossy and Hart tend to focus more on style and trends rather than simply being a discount store.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a merger between any of the three store chains I mentioned above.
Not certain I have ever been in a Rossy or Hart.

In the case of Giant Tiger, the North West Company has the franchise for all the stores in Western Canada. Not certain how that would play out in a merger in the North West Company could easily just operate under one of its other banners.

The main counterpart to Giant Tiger out here would be Field's.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Not certain I have ever been in a Rossy or Hart.

In the case of Giant Tiger, the North West Company has the franchise for all the stores in Western Canada. Not certain how that would play out in a merger in the North West Company could easily just operate under one of its other banners.

The main counterpart to Giant Tiger out here would be Field's.
There were a number of Fields stores in towns (not cities) in Northern Ontario but it seems as though all of them closed about 5 years ago. Fields was owned by Hudson's Bay and was more or less a much smaller version of Zellers. I don't think many of those stores were around for very long to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There were a number of Fields stores in towns (not cities) in Northern Ontario but it seems as though all of them closed about 5 years ago. Fields was owned by Hudson's Bay and was more or less a much smaller version of Zellers. I don't think many of those stores were around for very long to begin with.
It was a Vancouver based company from the 1940s. Went public in 1968, then they purchased Zellers and were eventually taken over by HBC.

Growing up in Vancouver in the 1970/80/90s there quite a few around the city. They competed and were very similar to Woolworth in size, format and product. Back then there were a number of Willworth stores.

In 2012 they were sold off from HBC. Today I think they are only West of the Manitoba/Ontario boarder but I could be wrong. I only know of them being in small town Saskatchewan and BC. I believe it is similar in Alberta and Manitoba.

http://www.fields.ca/about.php

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:56 AM

Saskatchewan SSP forumers have given up posting in the national threads these days but I thought I'd post this anyways from the Sask retail thread from a couple months ago...

Looks like Midtown Plaza Redevelopment Plan downtown calls for new office towers, a 50 storey Hotel/Condominium,
...and a new Arts/Convention centre opposite the Plaza from the current TCU Place Auditorium/Convention centre.

Quote:
In line with the City of Saskatoon’s development plan, the vision for Midtown Plaza is to revitalize the downtown core by offering an elevated retail and dining experience.

A new state-of-the-art convention/performing arts centre combined with a high-rise condominium/hotel tower adjacent to the centre will accommodate the projected growing demographic and anticipated increase in tourist traffic.

A new network of landscaped pedestrian and cycling paths will introduce a neighbourhood dimension to the area.

A portion of the shopping centre with frontage on 1st Avenue will be transformed into a 2-storey shopping and dining destination. The existing major anchor space of a 2-level department store will be divided amongst multiple tenants. The entire shopping centre will undergo a major refurbishment including an urban contemporary food court overlooking a new exterior plaza.
http://www.cwcanadaassetservices.com...redevelopment/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada