HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:31 AM

Hyatt Place and Allison Residences | 250' | 23 Floors | On Hold

350 NW 12th Ave (currently the parking lot at 12th & Flanders).

Via Portland Maps:

Quote:
New construction of 11 story Hyatt Place hotel with a FAR of 9:1 to be achieved through transfer of 3:1 FAR from the nearby historic landmark site. The site zoned EXd and is located within the CC Plan District.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 8:53 AM

It will be sad to lose that tree, but nice to lose a surface parking lot and gain some ground floor active use.

I've gotta wonder though: are we close to hitting the theoretical max on Hotel projects? The number of new rooms coming online is absolutely bonkers. Or has hotel capacity just been that staggeringly under built for current demand?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:08 PM

Another Hyatt branded property?! That's crazy, they must really believe in the Portland market.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:46 PM

Hyatt Place is more of an extended stay brand with sofas and kitchens in the rooms so I would say this is a sign that Portland is becoming more and more of a business town. It's the kind of place you stay at for a two week or one month assignment. Often they have a 2nd bedroom for when the spouse and kids come along but won't stay long enough to merit getting an apartment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Hyatt Place is more of an extended stay brand with sofas and kitchens in the rooms so I would say this is a sign that Portland is becoming more and more of a business town. It's the kind of place you stay at for a two week or one month assignment. Often they have a 2nd bedroom for when the spouse and kids come along but won't stay long enough to merit getting an apartment.
That's Hyatt House, like the one in Riverplace. Hyatt Place is more a less like a Courtyard by Marriott, or perhaps more appropriately an Aloft with slightly larger rooms. They don't generally include a kitchenette or walled off bedroom.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post
It will be sad to lose that tree, but nice to lose a surface parking lot and gain some ground floor active use.

I've gotta wonder though: are we close to hitting the theoretical max on Hotel projects? The number of new rooms coming online is absolutely bonkers. Or has hotel capacity just been that staggeringly under built for current demand?
You know, it is always a little sad when an old tree is taken down in Portland. We love our trees.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:29 PM

I think the FAR transfer is cool.

Is there a central marketplace or clearinghouse for FAR? Where do development teams go to find FAR credits? How much are they worth?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:43 PM

Noticed a rendering here: http://vibrantcities.com/parq

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:53 PM
A before E

It will be good infill, it is good to see the Pearl finally getting hotels. I remember for years there being no hotels in the Pearl which just seemed odd for how much of a hip neighborhood it was turning into back then.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Seattle developer planning a 170-room Hyatt Place hotel in the Pearl District

There's the Hyatt House hotel in the Riverplace District, the Hyatt Place at the airport and two under-construction Hyatts in Portland at present, including the Hyatt Regency Portland at the Oregon Convention Center and the Hyatt Centric at Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street.

Now another Hyatt will join the Portland market in a few years thanks to Seattle developer Vibrant Cities.

The firm is planning an 11-story Hyatt Place Hotel with about 176 rooms at 350 N.W. 12th Ave. The property is currently home to a parking lot that sits at Northwest Flanders and 12th.

James Wong, co-founder and CEO of Vibrant Cities, said the company plans to break ground in 12 to 18 months depending upon the city's permitting process. The project was on the list of early assistance intakes with the city this week. Construction will likely take another 18 to 24 months after it starts.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal (behind paywall).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:54 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...oposed_in.html

Quote:
Hyatt Place hotel proposed in Portland's Pearl District
Updated 8:18 AM; Posted 8:17 AM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A Seattle developer has proposed to build a Hyatt Place hotel in Portland's Pearl District.

Vibrant Cities, a company that's developed apartments in Portland under its former name, SolTerra, said it plans to build an 11-story, 176-room hotel at 350 N.W. 12th Avenue. The site is currently used as a parking lot.

The company has already secured a license to use the Hyatt Place select-service upscale hotel brand, said chief executive Brian Wong. Vibrant Cities has partnered with the Sunray Hotels, a hotel development firm based in Madison, Mississippi.

The company had planned an apartment building on the site, which it's owned since early 2016, but reconsidered after Portland instituted its inclusionary zoning policy, which requires large housing developments to include rent-restricted units, Wong said.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:59 PM

Noticed this was recently posted under the same 350 NW 12th address...
Quote:
PC - PreApplication Conference - 23-story mixed-use building including hotel and residential uses.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:49 PM

Whoa. That would be the tallest building in the south Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 12:50 AM

Otak have scheduled a Design Advice Request hearing:

Quote:
23-story building including 11 stories for a new Hyatt Place brand hotel with ground floor public uses and 12 stories for a new residential apartment community (approximately 120 residential units total).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Otak have scheduled a Design Advice Request hearing:
Adding residential to this project is not what I would have expected at this point in the cycle. "Residential community" is frustratingly vague, curious to know if its Condos.

Either way a 23 story building south of Burnside will be a real standout. I was already somewhat awed by the scale of the 1430 NW Glisan project relative to its neighbors.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 4:08 PM

So what are the "ground floor public uses"? A park, public restrooms, bike racks, a public walkway like the Heartline?
As a member of the public, I find this either very generous or poorly worded.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
So what are the "ground floor public uses"? A park, public restrooms, bike racks, a public walkway like the Heartline?
As a member of the public, I find this either very generous or poorly worded.
Public use just refers to whether or not the space is open to the general public, such as a restaurant, or coffee shop, or yoga studio. It doesn't mean public "benefit".

Public use makes sure that the building opens up onto the street with spaces for the general public's use. A Starbucks for example, unlike, say, a fitness room for building residents only.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:58 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:08 AM

Draft Presentation [9 MB] (dated August 7th).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland