HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman View Post
Hi Phil.
I appreciate your opinion about Kelowna and lack of centralized mid and high rise buildings within the city. Too much growth too fast, was a big issue for the better part of 20 yrs. I have lived in Victoria, Nanaimo and also Vernon/Kelowna, so I know those communities very well. Short of that, when you make a comparison, it should use the same bounds and parameters for all your population to be tested (here the test population is cities). The comparison of Kelowna to Nanaimo does not seem a valid comparison in the manner you presented.
The area you describe in Nanaimo comprises an AREA vs a street. The 4 buildings you mention are located on Front St, and Promenade St, not all on one street. Downtown Nanaimo can be described as an area bound to the north by Comox St, east by Front St (ocean), south by Front and Esplanade, and west by Hwy 1. The boundaries of the downtown area can vary by any group deadcribing it. However, as with Nanaimo, Victoria or Kelowna, the downtown area is NOT depicted by one street. This is how you have compared Kelowna (Bernard Street) to other cities. So to make a factual based point, Bernard Street is only one of a number of streets in downtown Kelowna; and in fact downtown Kelowna does comprise an AREA like Nanaimo or Victoria. Does Yates Street define downtown Victoria - I don't think so.......
Downtown Kelowna area is well documented in various urban research studies and planning reports. The area is comprised by Harvey Ave - south boundary, Ellis or one street further east, is east boundary, Manhatten Dr as north boundary and Water/lakefront as west boundary. This comprises a downtown area just as Victoria and Nanaimo have downtown areas, and cannot be defined by a "street". Bernard Street is a main street in downtown Kelowna, just like Douglas Street, Blanchard Street, and Government are main streets in Victoria, or Front St and Bastion St are main streets in downtown Nanaimo.
The Kelowna downtown area does have a number of mid and high rises within the downtown AREA, as depicted by Metro One's photos. In fact the photo of Ellis Street shows a great variety of buildings from renovated heritage buildings housing art studios to mid and high rise offices and residential apartments.
Bernard Street does not have many high rise buildings for ONE BIG reason, protected heritage status! Similar to Government Street in Victoria. Hence a lot of new buildings are off Bernard Ave except where non-heritage buildings are present - like the new planned Brooklyn development 25 stories.
So in the future, in order to gain my support in a debate, try to make your argument adhere to the same parameters and bounds.
By the way, I'm a huge Victoria buff, loved living in that city, although back then it was called " city of the newly wed or newly dead".
I know that Kelowna's growth has far exceeded either Victoria or Vancouver but I also don't think there's such a thing as too much growth too fast there are only cities that can't manage growth and in that way Kelowna succeeded.

I'm also not sure why you tried to get into a semantic debate over exactly what constitutes downtown Nanaimo or Kelowna or why you got so heavily into discussing Kelowna's streets but neither had much to do with my point.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 7:03 PM

^^okay so just going to say this once, I know you felt the need to defend yourself Phil, and that's totally fair. But it would be nice if we can just keep these thread posts topical and Kelowna development related. Just saying, in general, for everyone.

Have a great labour day weekend everybody!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 9:45 PM

does anyone know why the aqua project is onhold?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:26 AM
be nice to the crackheads

edit

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:42 AM

Sopa Square is more or less complete and looking great! First highrise in the South Pandosy area of the city. The first storey shops and second storey offices/clinics are basically all occupied as well, after several years of struggling. This is an excellent outcome for a project that had many issues in its earlier days.

The proposed Jenga tower is right beside Sopa on Cedar Avenue. Not sure of any new updates, but it is an interesting design. Hopefully a sign of further improvements to that neighborhood, which mainly consists of run down post-war homes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:17 PM

August just broke the record for the busiest month ever at YLW, and the first time ever that more than 200,000 pax travelled through the airport in one month!
August saw 201,485 passengers, beating July 2018 as the busiest month ever!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrescata View Post
August just broke the record for the busiest month ever at YLW, and the first time ever that more than 200,000 pax travelled through the airport in one month!
Is YLW still Canada's 10th busiest airport?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrescata View Post
I went through it a couple of times in August. It's busy for a small airport.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 2:35 PM
HVAC guru

The Kelowna airport is pretty busy for a small airport. I know during the holidays it gets just packed in there, especially at baggage claim and past security. I wonder if there are any expansion plans in the works ?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The Kelowna airport is pretty busy for a small airport. I know during the holidays it gets just packed in there, especially at baggage claim and past security. I wonder if there are any expansion plans in the works ?
I really hope so.

Kelowna really has the potential to turn into a bustling mid-sized city. And that can start with the airport. YLW, IMO, (and same with YYJ) has a great "skeleton" for upgrades and development. It's just that the road infrastructure would need a face-lift and YLW would need to develop its niche flying market.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:29 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I really hope so.

Kelowna really has the potential to turn into a bustling mid-sized city. And that can start with the airport. YLW, IMO, (and same with YYJ) has a great "skeleton" for upgrades and development. It's just that the road infrastructure would need a face-lift and YLW would need to develop its niche flying market.
Yeah at some point they'll have to deal with the signaled intersection off 97 and do a proper interchange. it looks like they have allocated room for that. Parking is an issue as well when it's busy. might be time for some structured parking at the airport as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:58 PM

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/09/18/...lling-quickly/

Brooklyn sales are going quick. Piling starting in the new year.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:31 AM

New video about Brooklyn

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:52 AM

Good news! Hopefully Westcorp takes note that residential high rises are still selling in downtown Kelowna

This tower and the others currently going really will give Kelowna much more urban weight. Pretty exciting for a city still just under 200 000.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:28 PM

Why is that called Brooklyn?!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:50 PM
HVAC guru

^ why do they give stupid names to almost every condo building ?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:04 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I really hope so.

Here is Kelowna airport's 30 year plan to accommodate an anticipated 3.5 million passengers by 2045

https://ylw.kelowna.ca/sites/files/3..._1_final_0.pdf

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:07 PM

This is quite a different product than One Water. One Water is somewhat of a resort/luxury tower in the "quieter" side of downtown. Brooklyn at Bernard is a nice, perhaps more value-oriented tower on Kelowna's main street that more average folk can afford. This is quite an amazing location really. Still surprised at the strong sales but if any of the downtown towers were going to sell this fast this is it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:08 AM

Took a quick drive through Clement/Ellis yesterday. Couldn't get pics but here are some construction updates:

Ellis Parc: Foundation is dug, pilings are going in at depth.
One Water East: Foundation poured, first floor pillars and columns poured and going up.
One Water West: Pilings continuing, apparently finishing early October
ELLA: first floor columns poured and second floor (parkade) underway
St.Paul Kelowna: Site prepped, fencing up, construction underway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:26 AM

what is st.Paul Kelowna?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia