HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah Hampton's downtown looks pathetic. I'm somewhat familiar with Newport news (still secondhand info) due to Jefferson Lab. Everyone says Newport News sucks...
They are correct. The city is lucky to be such a large center of shipbuilding. It has nice suburban areas in the northern area(if you're into burbs that is) but the city itself leaves a lot to be desired. The downtown has tried to clean up and attract investment with little success. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bombed-out hellhole, but it has a long way to go to be vibrant.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah Hampton's downtown looks pathetic. I'm somewhat familiar with Newport news (still secondhand info) due to Jefferson Lab. Everyone says Newport News sucks...
I've heard it called Bad News.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:44 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
This is the only metro, where the city does not feel like it belongs to it’s suburbs.
No city belongs to its suburbs.

It's the other way around, hence the "sub" of suburb.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:07 AM

Not necessarily. I'd almost say St. Louis is subordinate to St. Louis County. I mean, the city has/had the sports teams and most of the tourist attractions but that's it. The wealth and power is mostly in the suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:20 AM

San Francisco does not belong to its suburbs. So much so that the city tore down some of the freeways that suburbanites use to get there and now driving into the city is a complete nightmare. /rant

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post

Miami would have ended up like Detroit if it wasn’t for being a refuge for wealthy Latin Americans and tourism. Broward and Palm Beach are really similar to Oakland/Macomb in their vibrancy being fed by an exodus of white wealth. The Everglades really contributing to that dichotomy. Despite the growth of Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, Miami is clearly the dominate (big) city in the metro currently. Similar to San Francisco which isn’t even the most populated in its metro.
These days Broward is being fed by an exudus of Hispanic wealth from Miami-Dade extending up I-75 into Broward's western suburbs which are now majority Hispanic.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
They are correct. The city is lucky to be such a large center of shipbuilding. It has nice suburban areas in the northern area(if you're into burbs that is) but the city itself leaves a lot to be desired. The downtown has tried to clean up and attract investment with little success. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bombed-out hellhole, but it has a long way to go to be vibrant.
I find it interesting that Portsmouth, despite being the blackest of the four core municipalities, is actually the wealthiest in terms of median household income. I'm not sure what the reason for that is.

I also find it interesting how Hampton Roads is segregated on the neighborhood level by race/income, but not really on the municipal level. In a northern multinodal metro similar to Hampton Roads, you'd expect that one or two of them would become the "black cities" and end up 70%-90% black, while others would remain heavily white.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:39 PM

Lots of great Hip Hop minds in that area, probably the best per capita for MSA's above 1 million.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:07 PM

My wife was born in Portsmouth; big Navy town.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I find it interesting that Portsmouth, despite being the blackest of the four core municipalities, is actually the wealthiest in terms of median household income. I'm not sure what the reason for that is.

I also find it interesting how Hampton Roads is segregated on the neighborhood level by race/income, but not really on the municipal level. In a northern multinodal metro similar to Hampton Roads, you'd expect that one or two of them would become the "black cities" and end up 70%-90% black, while others would remain heavily white.
I actually didn't know that about Portsmouth...and I am quite surprised.

Yeah, also I don't know this as a fact, but imo Virginia Beach has the least segregation of any city I can think of. There's no "bad side" of town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions