HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was an old rendering floating around for what I think at the time was condos or an apartment building above the BMO building. The design was faux-historic and really not up to par.
This small rendering is all I could find and I believe it has been abandoned.

Quote:
I've also seen renderings for a redevelopment of the building one block in behind (Doyle St?) where the Italian Gourmet is. It was another faux-Victorian midrise type of thing.

Anyway, SGR and Queen could be a very nice intersection if redeveloped properly (particularly when the street overhaul is finished). South Park is also becoming fairly nice.. Halifax's mini Fifth Avenue?
The Doyle St building with Italian Gourmet would be a tough one, as the upstairs has some of the most expensive condos in the city, though you'd never know it. They sold for $1 million plus.I don't think anything is happening to that building any time soon.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, that's the rendering I was talking about. I hope it has been abandoned. It looks like a condo building from Clayton Park.

The Doyle St project was probably quite old, maybe from 6-8 years ago, which could have been before the condos went in.

Another random project I heard of at one point was a boutique hotel to go in next to Seven on Grafton (on the small parking lot).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:20 AM
we built this city

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 1:20 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yes, that's the rendering I was talking about. I hope it has been abandoned. It looks like a condo building from Clayton Park.

The Bank of Montreal building should be left the way it is. Any new development there will destroy a building and street corner with a lot of character. There should not be a demolition permit issued for that building. This is another Waterside disaster in the making.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The Bank of Montreal building should be left the way it is. Any new development there will destroy a building and street corner with a lot of character. There should not be a demolition permit issued for that building. This is another Waterside disaster in the making.
I would think there ought to be a way to develop that corner and the block without demolishing the building. I have spent a lot of time there over the years and it is a neat building in many ways -- I love the stone walls, the art deco trim inside, etc -- but in others it is obsolete and needs updating (for example, I don't think it has an elevator). It is one of a couple of buildings I think would look very good with a sympathetically designed addition on top (the CBC on the corner of South Park and Sackville is the other). I would like to see Chedrawe come up with a proposal that incorporates the existing good features of the building while adding to it. In addition, he owns the remainder of the block with the exception of the TD Bank building in the middle which I'm sure he covets. If he could somehow acquire that, it opens up a world of possibilities. Of course, he would then be pressured to retain the Thackeray's building on the corner of Brunswick as well, which would be an interesting debate. Given what is on that block right now, what would be useful to keep and what could go?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 3:15 PM
Salty Town

Unfortunately the issue for the BMO building is that you couldn't add more than two floors. The current structure could not support a large addition on top. This is where the debate always turns to [it is impraticle to save any more than a bit of the facade.....just like Waterside] I think tis building must be saved in it's entirety.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 6:52 PM
we built this city

I disagree on the amount of floors that could be added. The facade could be maintained while digging out a completely new foundation. The structure would be supporting itself.

I would like to see a pretty tall (12 stories), all glass tower on top. There are countless examples of buildings like this in other cities. I agree that Waterside Centre is a terrible design and the BMO rendering is not really impressive. That being said, this project has potential if it doesn't destroy the current facade and uses a glass tower above. Its all about juxtaposition IMO.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 8:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that BMO is well-suited to an addition on top (and also the CBC and the building with the Discovery Centre on Barrington). The problem with the old rendering is that there is no setback and there is little contrast between the new and old parts.

Waterside Centre is quite different since some of the existing buildings have pitched roofs with dormers.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This small rendering is all I could find and I believe it has been abandoned.

Thank God. That's hideous. Looks like something you'd see in the 'burbs!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 10:35 PM

That rendering looks a lot like the Wedgewood in Clayton Park.

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 10:26 AM

Historic houses torn down
No one took up developer’s offer to have them relocated
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Mon. Oct 13 - 5:21 AM

A house on South Park Street in Halifax is torn down Friday. (Christian Laforce / Staff)

Phil Pacey, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, says his group helped try to find sites for the three Halifax homes. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)

A trio of Victorian homes in Halifax met with the wrecking ball this weekend after a developer was unable to find someone to relocate them.

The homes at 1441, 1455 and 1467 South Park St. were scheduled to be demolished to make room for the 19-storey Trillium condominium project W.M. Fares Group will build.

But the company said it would put the money earmarked for the demolition, pegged at about $30,000, into the cost of relocation.

For the past six weeks, groups like the Ecology Action Centre, Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia and the Spring Garden Area Business Association attempted to find new sites for the homes, all of which were built from 1860 to 1890.

Time ran out, said Heritage Trust president Phil Pacey.

"We were actively working on this as late as Friday," Mr. Pacey said Sunday in an interview.

"We put quite a bit of time into that . . . trying to find potential lots that those buildings could be moved to.

"The criterion the developer placed on it was that the person who took the houses would have to have a lot arranged and would have to have measurements made and a foundation built."

Attempts to contact the company were unsuccessful Sunday.

There was hope at one time that the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, part of which is located across the street, would be interested in taking the buildings for extra office space.

That didn’t pan out.

The excavators arrived Friday afternoon to start the two-day process of tearing the houses down.

That’s unfortunate, said Mr. Pacey.

"If there had been more time, it seems likely that at least one of the houses might have found a new home."

The three homes, near the corner of Brenton Street, were in pretty good shape, Mr. Pacey said.

The homes were all divided into several one- and two-bedroom apartments and, despite some recent cosmetic damage, were still structurally fine, he said.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown), who was the only municipal politician to vote against the project after a public hearing in June, said Sunday it’s too bad the developer’s offer wasn’t accepted.

"I was hoping that they would be moved, but time is of the essence, obviously, or else he wouldn’t have torn them down,""she said.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Thank God. That's hideous. Looks like something you'd see in the 'burbs!
Yeah not great looking. I believe the site is under a view plane as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 2:42 PM
Salty Town

- The highest they could go is six floors for the BMO site.
- the design is cheap and ugly.
- the cheapest way to go for the developer is to 100% demolish and start from scratch
- they will no doubt manage to fool the majority into believing it has to be that way and demolish the entire building
- sandstone and granite will be replaced with brick veneer and fake sandstone panels.
- the sad part is that no one seems to notice just how bad that plan is and HRM isn't about to step in and do the right thing.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 7:34 PM

It's a bit sad to see theses old houses get torn down, but this is going add so much more to the area.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:27 PM

So are the houses completely gone yet?

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
Salty Town

Two of them are gone and the city was too spineless to step in and help.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Two of them are gone and the city was too spineless to step in and help.
Why should the city, which would be tax payers money, step in? What would one expect them to do?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 1:44 AM
Salty Town

Redoing the sidewalks on Spring Garden Rd. is "the taxpayers money" as well. Sidewalks are fine the way they are and making them wider or look better doesn't guarantee there will be a return. The city should step in because it is them that is being destroyed. Those buildings could have been moved on a temporary basis to the Infirmary lands "city owned" until someone could take them. If the city is willing to permote development and reap "taxes" from the development then they should be prepared to reinvest some of that "tax money" to save important structures that they have issued a demolition permit for. By not attempting to save such structures we lose a half dozen a year. Take a look at Morris St. and the garbage "longshoreman's club" that replaced a house similar to these on South Park. Soon most of downtown will look like that part of Morris St. Why would the city bother when it is all about more tax revenue?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Redoing the sidewalks on Spring Garden Rd. is "the taxpayers money" as well. Sidewalks are fine the way they are and making them wider or look better doesn't guarantee there will be a return. The city should step in because it is them that is being destroyed. Those buildings could have been moved on a temporary basis to the Infirmary lands "city owned" until someone could take them. If the city is willing to permote development and reap "taxes" from the development then they should be prepared to reinvest some of that "tax money" to save important structures that they have issued a demolition permit for. By not attempting to save such structures we lose a half dozen a year. Take a look at Morris St. and the garbage "longshoreman's club" that replaced a house similar to these on South Park. Soon most of downtown will look like that part of Morris St. Why would the city bother when it is all about more tax revenue?
How does the side walks on SGR become a part of this? If you want, yes that is tax payers money, spent on something EVERYONE can benefit from. Spending money on relocation of houses, so that a 2-3 can enjoy is pour use of everyones taxes.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 2:46 AM
Salty Town

Not all taxpayers benifit from new sidewalks on Spring Garden Rd. I guess you haven't seen the endless doubledecker tour busses and tourists enjoying traditional Halifax streetscapes. I would be willing to guess the new part of Morris St. (the new ugly part) is not on the tour guide agenda.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth