HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:48 PM

It honestly looks like a fairly reasonable compromise to me, in terms of higher density residential/commercial, and lower density residential; not really out of character for Holladay. There is commercial all up and down Highland drive and Murray-Holladay road, and the height of this proposal is all concentrated right at the intersection. Which single family houses' views of the Wasatch will it obstruct, exactly? Looking at google maps I really can't see any. The houses west of the south side of the development will still get a clear view of Olympus and further south, though maybe looking toward Grandeur or further north could be a bit obstructed. If I lived in one of those houses (I actually toured a couple in that neighborhood last year when house shopping) I would be stoked. More retail and dining options in walking distance, and likely a transportation node could develop there as well. I would like to see a bit of a larger buffer around big cottonwood creek (I almost always want to see bigger buffers around creeks though. Just in terms of engineering and safety we should always stay out of the 100 year flood plain. And in terms of ecological function of waterways, we need larger, healthier riparian habitat). But anyway, overall I'm not sure why residents are getting their panties in a bunch about this. Increased traffic is a legitimate complaint, I'll give them that, but what was the traffic like when Cottonwood mall was thriving? I don't have any numbers, but I remember my grandparents taking me there as a kid, and the parking lots were always pretty full.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
It honestly looks like a fairly reasonable compromise to me, in terms of higher density residential/commercial, and lower density residential; not really out of character for Holladay. There is commercial all up and down Highland drive and Murray-Holladay road, and the height of this proposal is all concentrated right at the intersection. Which single family houses' views of the Wasatch will it obstruct, exactly? Looking at google maps I really can't see any. The houses west of the south side of the development will still get a clear view of Olympus and further south, though maybe looking toward Grandeur or further north could be a bit obstructed. If I lived in one of those houses (I actually toured a couple in that neighborhood last year when house shopping) I would be stoked. More retail and dining options in walking distance, and likely a transportation node could develop there as well. I would like to see a bit of a larger buffer around big cottonwood creek (I almost always want to see bigger buffers around creeks though. Just in terms of engineering and safety we should always stay out of the 100 year flood plain. And in terms of ecological function of waterways, we need larger, healthier riparian habitat). But anyway, overall I'm not sure why residents are getting their panties in a bunch about this. Increased traffic is a legitimate complaint, I'll give them that, but what was the traffic like when Cottonwood mall was thriving? I don't have any numbers, but I remember my grandparents taking me there as a kid, and the parking lots were always pretty full.
I totally agree, this is a very reasonable and serious purposal from Woodbury/Ivory. I don’t know how reps from these companies don’t pull there hair out from these silly comments and childish behavior. I cringe when I hear comments about density ruining “family neighborhoods”. I am not sure if this is a veiled comment about non whites coming to the neighborhood or that density brings singles, divorcees, empty nesters, etc. Hopefully the council can see through this silliness. I am sure it is not a coincidence that this was brought before the PC and ultimately the council just after the election. You wouldn’t want to get this approved before an election.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 9:13 AM

I think it's a good proposal, but if I lived in the area, I would want there to be a bit more open space involved in it. I really wish there was a better funding model for parks in this county - there is tons of space, not to mention a natural creek, available to incorporate a bit of open space or green area in the development, but when was the last time a new park was built in an already urbanized area of the county?

And while I'm obviously not opposed to 12-story high-rises, one of the residents who spoke did make a good point that those are tall even for downtown Salt Lake. I can't think of any 12-story apartment complexes in the greater county area.

I think if they lowered the floor numbers of the tallest apartments, then most people wouldn't really care too much one way or another. I do think complaints about views being ruined are usually stupid, but that's what those people care about above anything else. The rest of the proposal looks very solid to me, just at a quick look.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:23 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I do think complaints about views being ruined are usually stupid, but that's what those people care about above anything else. The rest of the proposal looks very solid to me, just at a quick look.
I live in Taylorsville, which tends to be the high point within the valley floor and have a decent view of the Wasatch Mountains out the front window. But then I think how often do I really look out to just see the mountains. It is usually only to see how far down the snow is getting or how much snow is left. I really don't look out to just stare and enjoy them and I wonder how many of these residents that are claiming they will lose their view tend to do the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 6:13 AM

I do it every once in a while, but I don't have a good view of the mountains from my house and I don't care. It doesn't take much effort to find a location to look at the mountains or have them as a cool backdrop if I really care that much.

It's almost certain that these people like the ~idea~ of the view more than they actually care about the view itself.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 7:26 AM

(comment above was removed)

Last edited by Orlando; Dec 5, 2017 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What??
He's a new kid coming in first and he would like to recommend it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:06 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 1:38 AM

Ha!
The more I think about it and look at it, yeah, I guess I can understand those who think 12 stories is a bit much for the area. I still think it would be fine but I do understand. Knock it down a couple floors and I think it would be most appropriate.
I also agree with bob rulz that having well framed open space in a city is a wonderful, useful thing and think they could do a better job of incorporating it into the design of the project. But overall it seems like a pretty good first draft.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:07 AM

West Valley Fairbourne Station 9 story

Here is a rendering of Fairbourne Station in West Valley. The 9 story office building in the middle will break ground early next year and developed by Wasatch Properties. It will have a skybridge connecting it to the 7 story parking garage which will be located east of the current apartment building. The parking garage will have 10,000 sq ft. of ground floor retail. In the rendering is also the new West Valley City Public Safety Building. The office building closest to the Traxx line is conceptual and would go where the current US Bank and current Public Safety Building sit.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 10:39 PM

Apparently The Crossing in South Salt Lake will now include 95 2-to-3 story townhomes with attached garages instead of 157 studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom apartments with a parking garage. Concerns were that soil stabilization was needed to support the parking garage and that the funds "weren't there" for it, and the "kinds of people" that would be more likely to come with studio and 1-bedroom apartments.

*sigh* So much for a true urban, transit-oriented development in South Salt Lake.

http://www.valleyjournals.com/2017/1...with-townhomes

That link doesn't have the new renderings, but I'm going to assume that they'll be ugly and cookie-cutter until I see otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:15 PM

More Fairbourne Station renderings,
https://www.facebook.com/EDAArch/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:00 PM
BANNED

^ That bridge looks like a miniature version of the millennium bridge in Denver

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:15 PM

I'm really liking the look of those renderings.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 10:39 PM

I agree those renderings are very nice especially for that area.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:23 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:02 PM

South Salt Lake just liberalized some laws to allow more breweries in town. Great news!

http://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/foo...-distilleries/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post
^ That bridge looks like a miniature version of the millennium bridge in Denver
It doesn’t look anything like Denver’s Millennium Bridge. It looks more like the Legacy Bridge at the University of Utah.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:59 AM

Ex-Superfund site now one of fastest-growing neighborhoods

Annie Knox for the Deseret News - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...hborhoods.html

A train arrives at the Bingham Junction TRAX Station in Midvale on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. Kristen Murphy, Deseret News

MIDVALE — The Salt Lake Valley's most rapidly growing neighborhood consists largely of a former Superfund site that has shed its toxic status and given way to glossy
apartment buildings. Now known as Bingham Junction, the land once was part of the Midvale Slag site, with smoking smelters that contaminated groundwater and soil with
arsenic and lead.Two years after federal regulators removed the site from its list of toxic areas most in need of environmental cleanup, newly released state data show that
the area's population more than doubled in a five-year period.That's the fastest rate of any U.S. Census-recognized neighborhood across Utah's two most populous counties,
and it's boosted by high-density housing, according to the new analysis made public by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute. The report also shows that Salt Lake and Utah
counties have continued to expand from 2010 to 2016, with speedy population growth in South Jordan, Herriman and also in fast-developing Vineyard and Point of the Mountain...

...The roughly 400-acre Bingham Junction sports several apartment buildings, a Topgolf complex, an expansive park and stores. It's also home to a Utah Transit Authority
light-rail stop and Overstock.com's offices, which opened last year.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 9, 2018 at 12:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West