HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:10 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Tickets are available if you have a DCPA account. Already purchased my tickets.
Got my two!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:28 PM

Interesting piece and interview of Ben Fowke, CEO of Xcel Energy by Cathy Proctor in the DBJ
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...he-future.html

Quote:
Q: Why is Xcel pursuing such a big change in its power portfolio?

A: I think it’s fantastic that we can address the risk of climate change, which I recognize can be a polarizing issue, and do it in such a way that it saves customers’ money. That clears the path. We’re going to be able to save customers money as we reduce carbon emissions, and I think within six to eight years, renewables will be the biggest energy source in our grid.

In Colorado, with the Colorado Energy Plan, it will bring renewables to 55 percent [of Xcel’s power supply in the state] by 2026, and with it a 60 percent carbon reduction while keeping bills flat.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:23 PM

Question for you Mountain Westers:

Anyone been to Calgary? Have seen some cheap tickets on Westjet from DEN and wondering if it would be worth taking a look at Canada's Denver (or Dallas, perhaps). Curious if anyone has been before. Would it be worth visiting for a couple of days if one didn't have time to make it to Banff?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Question for you Mountain Westers:

Anyone been to Calgary? Have seen some cheap tickets on Westjet from DEN and wondering if it would be worth taking a look at Canada's Denver (or Dallas, perhaps). Curious if anyone has been before. Would it be worth visiting for a couple of days if one didn't have time to make it to Banff?
Looong time ago but from a 'city' perspective I'd think Calgary would be much more interesting than Dallas. Shame you couldn't get to Banff though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Looong time ago but from a 'city' perspective I'd think Calgary would be much more interesting than Dallas. Shame you couldn't get to Banff though.
I'd definitely try. But curious if Calgary alone is worth it, since I'm looking at a three day visit or so. Not gonna get too deep in the Canadian Rockies in that amount of time.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:20 AM

I was there a long time ago (like 8 or 9 years) and I remember it being a pretty awesome city. I would say probably worth the trip.

If you have 3 days it shouldn't be too hard to at least go take a look at Banff. You can still see some really cool stuff in 1 day. I was only there for 1 day and it was one of my favorite places that I've ever been. It's not far from Calgary at all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:30 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I have determined, through unimpeachable math and science, that Denver is the second most deserving US city to host a future Olympic games. CLICK.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I have determined, through unimpeachable math and science, that Denver is the second most deserving US city to host a future Olympic games. CLICK.

Interesting stuff. (You may have too much time on your hands)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:12 PM

[Duplicate]

Last edited by CherryCreek; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Of course Denver is the only City ever to apply for, win, and then back out of the Olympics after voters refused to pay.

https://www.historycolorado.org/stor...lorado-history

https://history.denverlibrary.org/ne...-olympic-games

Has anything changed? My suspicion would be that voters would again decline to provide any public support for the Olympics which I would think would prevent Denver from hosting. But maybe times have changed.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:42 AM

How biased is your news source? You probably won’t agree with this chart

FYI, my primary sources are Bloomberg, NPR and local stuff. I can enjoy Politico and The Hill on occasion.

To see how news sources are rated from extreme left to right, click for pretty chart.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
How biased is your news source? You probably won’t agree with this chart

FYI, my primary sources are Bloomberg, NPR and local stuff. I can enjoy Politico and The Hill on occasion.

To see how news sources are rated from extreme left to right, click for pretty chart.
Hmmm. Interesting chart. I religiously read Reuters daily, and I almost never miss PBS Newshour (and I normally catch BBC News America and Nightly Business Report which precede it). Those are my two main sources.

I can't watch any other news on TV. Even the well-respected stuff seems sensationalized, hyperbolic and ratings-driven to me. The phony furrowed brow and the contrived, over-the-top urgency in the voice of David Muir is exactly the kind of TV news cheapness I can't tolerate. "And you won't believe what happens next!" (Have you ever noticed every other reporter or correspondent on that particular show will almost precisely mimic the exaggerated earnestness of David Muir - replete with the phony furrowed-brow - as though they're all desperately aiming to become the next David Muir? I can't decide if it's humorous or creepy.)

I also pluck a fair amount of NYT, WSJ and Washington Post from my news feed. When I have the time, I can really dig the those long, fascinating pieces The Atlantic puts out. I also try to take in The Economist as much as possible. I used to really respect that rag and almost feel guilty for never reading it anymore, so I normally go straight for it at an airport newsstand. The New Yorker is good stuff too.

I mostly agree with the chart, I guess - except I would scoot the center, "partisan bias" line over to the right a bit, until PBS is just to the left of it. And I would definitely scoot the three major networks down a ways. It's hard to be sure how much I agree with the chart though, since I'm not familiar with many of those sources.

I guess I have to admit my news diet and regard for the media in general would make me a pompous, elitist douche-bag. It's true. But it was not always the case. Before the days of clearly mentally-challenged, inept reality-TV-celebrity presidents, and the death of agreed-upon facts, I was just a regular Joe who might be kinda, sorta, a little bit smart. Those days are gone. That 1% growth initiative (or something like it) is going to pass; I have no doubt.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
When I have the time, I can really dig the those long, fascinating pieces The Atlantic puts out. I also try to take in The Economist as much as possible. I used to really respect that rag and almost feel guilty for never reading it anymore, so I normally go straight for it at an airport newsstand. The New Yorker is good stuff too.
Good comment.

I've enjoyed those sources too except now I rarely take the time.

I catch a lot of BBC via my local NPR station (KJZZ).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:

If 2 million is your benchmark, SLC ought to get a point for that in the summer games column. Our CSA (which is a more accurate measure of our MSA*) is 2.5 million. At least 2 million of that should be counted in our MSA.

*Because our MSA is so out of whack, the Utah legislature recently passed a resolution asking the census bureau to look at the way they're measuring it because it's wrong.
For example, the city of North Salt Lake is five miles from downtown Salt Lake City, but in another MSA. Meanwhile, Box Elder county, which is hundreds of miles from SLC and has almost no people is in our MSA. Parts of Box Elder county are due north of Davis and Weber counties, which were stripped from our MSA.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:17 AM
cities|transit|croissants

My benchmark was 2 million in the urbanized area.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:42 AM

Quote:
We have 2 million+ in the urban area.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:45 AM

deleted

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Mar 2, 2018 at 10:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
As of 2018 2.5 million of continuous urbanized area, 2.6 counting the fringe cities to the North and South and in the Mountains. The unique geography creates quite distinct and easily recognizable urban boundaries, much easier to recognize than in other places in the country. Whereas most us cities fade into rural areas and become continuously sparser, the Wasatch front's developed areas end abruptly at the base of a mountain or the edge of a lake. It truly is a nearly 100 mile long continuous stretch of "city." If you're road tripping from LA to Yellowstone and get caught there around 4-7pm, you're looking at 80 or so miles of rush hour traffic, stop and go in many places.

The MSA designation is ridiculous. Half the people that commute to downtown SLC for work come from a different metropolitan area, despite being 5 miles away from downtown. Cities that are a few miles from downtown are not part of the MSA, yet cities that are hundreds away are. Tens of thousands of people commute between the northern end of the Provo MSA and the southern end of the Salt Lake MSA. There is no vast empty space between the three areas/valleys, they are simply lines drawn right through the urban fabric.

From nearly every standpoint SLC gets overlooked so quickly and so often for being a tiny city of less than 200,000, or a small metro of 1 million. When in reality its greater continuous urban area is 2.5+ million, and has an economic engine larger than most cities its size. It's continuously lumped with city groupings such as Tuscon, Omaha, Norfolk, Birmingham, Tulsa, etc. When in reality it has the same population and similar economic heft as the MSA's of Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Cleveland, Baltimore, or St. Louis. SLC missed out on the annexation and absorption of surrounding communities that most US cities experienced in the 20th century, which is why it's actual core city is still so small. Look at Indianapolis, its core city constitutes nearly half of it's metro, whereas SLC is about 8% of the total population.

Anyways sorry for the rant, it's just disappointing to see when SLC gets discounted because of misleading statistics. It really is becoming quite a problem when trying to attract businesses, increasing tourism, overall economic growth, and for countless other facets.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:40 AM

To go along with what Wasatch so elegantly said...

There's this article from 2015:
Utah tops nation for huddling into cities
Census study • Federal land, limited water resources force people into cities.
By Lee Davidson
The Salt Lake Tribune
March 5, 2015

"Utah has plenty of wide-open spaces across its deserts and mountains. But more than any other state, its residents huddle into cities.
A study released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau says 88.4 percent of Utahns live in cities and towns, instead of unincorporated areas, the top in the nation.

Ranking behind it are Illinois, 86.9 percent; California, 83.1 percent; Kansas, 82.7; and Minnesota, 82.2. Vermont had the lowest rate at 24.6 percent."

Source: http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...82&itype=CMSID

And this article from 2012:
Urbanites: Nine of 10 Utahns live on 1 percent of state's land
Census • Utah is among most urban states in nation.
The Salt Lake Tribune
March 27, 2012
Source: http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...85&itype=cmsid

Utah is more urban than Colorado:

Source: https://priceonomics.com/the-most-ur...es-in-america/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:33 AM

This bill is being proposed by:

Representative Michael E. Noel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Noel
https://house.utah.gov/rep/NOELME

Here's the bill:
https://le.utah.gov/~2018/bills/static/HB0481.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West