HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:54 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Site plan for the Westy project?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Site plan for the Westy project?
is this what you are looking for?

http://www.downtownwestminster.us/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:45 PM

This is a nice little flyover video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piW2drNkxW0

Note that they rendered the (planned and unfunded) NW commuter rail stop on the south side of the site.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:01 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
is this what you are looking for?

http://www.downtownwestminster.us/
This is the important part - now that they've given up on using a master developer, the site plan basically means nothing. I lay you odds, the City will take whatever they can get, even if it means sacrificing some of the coordinated vision. http://www.downtownwestminster.us/Ne...velopment.aspx

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:04 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Note that they rendered the (planned and unfunded) NW commuter rail stop on the south side of the site.
If they could get that level of development on that site, I doubt it would take long for the concessionaire to come back with an unsolicited plan to extend that route by a stop.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
This is the important part - now that they've given up on using a master developer, the site plan basically means nothing. I lay you odds, the City will take whatever they can get, even if it means sacrificing some of the coordinated vision. http://www.downtownwestminster.us/Ne...velopment.aspx
I have been fearful of this exact same thing for a long time now. Though each new announcement surprises me and makes me quite happy. For a while there they were planning to hand the whole site over to a master developer (as in every other lifestyle center), and ultimately walked away from the table with developer OliverMcMillan, reportedly because they wanted to dramatically alter the site plan to include fewer streets and more parking (go figure...).

The latest reports are that the city is moving forward with the construction of many of the streets in the master plan this summer, complete with drainage, telecommunications, electrical infrastructure, etc. And they aren't just doing so in the areas where this developer has been announced, but on nearly every planned street on the site. Once this infrastructure is in, it will make it MUCH more difficult to alter the overall site plan. They also passed the "downtown specific plan" as a city ordinance, meaning that the site plan carries the force of law and acts as a "form based code" for that part of town (regulating things like setbacks and location of parking, as done in Denver).

That's not to say that the plan couldn't be changed of course if the economics don't work out, but the city seems pretty committed to that site plan right now, and the fact that they are finding developers actually interested in developing on a block-by-block basis is encouraging. I think the biggest change that developers could demand is the block-by-block density. I think it's likely that some of these blocks will end up as Texas-doughnuts with more surface parking in the center (as seen at Stapleton or north of the Med. Center in Aurora) rather than using a parking garage with a smaller footprint, and more built-out square footage, as they are illustrating.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:55 AM

Nation's first weedery is set to open in Colorado

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:25 AM

Block by block will yield a better end result if the city sticks to its master plan. It will feel more authentic.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Block by block will yield a better end result if the city sticks to its master plan. It will feel more authentic.
I second that.
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing change would be to eliminate the park that runs along 88th. Seems like a strange idea to separate your new downtown from a major street. Maybe some taller buildings along there would help define the downtown edge.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I second that.
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing change would be to eliminate the park that runs along 88th. Seems like a strange idea to separate your new downtown from a major street. Maybe some taller buildings along there would help define the downtown edge.
Would completely agree with you, especially since the potential future rail stop is going to be across 88th near the Lowe's and Toys-R-Us, but they probably have to keep that green space there because there is an existing drainage ditch along 88th.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 5:41 AM

Rendering via Denver Urban Review courtesy of ARA Newmark
According to Justin/Denver Urban Review this 285 unit apartment project is to break ground in September at 7338 S Havana in the new mixed-use INOVA Dry Creek business park. The developer The Wolff Company is from Scottsdale AZ.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:54 AM

Hello TOD
Courtesy | KTGY Group Inc. via Denver Business Journal
"352-unit apartment project for Olde Town Arvada"
August 25, 2015 by Justin Denver Urban Review
Quote:
This residential development has been titled Solana Olde Town Station. One, two, and three bedroom units will be offered ranging in size between 650 to 1,354 square feet with 72 percent of units having attached garages. Community amenities will include a pool, yoga and spin studio, and a golf simulator.
I am aware that Arvada does have its own Nimby Brigade.
I also noticed that b/c of the siting of this property that they had to obtain a height exception. Apparently there was also tax increment financing involved.
Justin also included this quote:
Quote:
ARA Newmark Managing Director Chris Cowan stated, “ReyLenn Properties has been deeply committed to Olde Town Arvada and this location for years. Their persistence in navigating the many complexities of this site will bring future residents an exciting and high-quality community that will redefine the Olde Town Arvada lifestyle.”

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Hello TOD
Looking at the map for that development, it looks like the residents will have to go south to 55th before they can cross over Wadsworth to get to the rail station, unless they are planning to build an underpass below the tracks to Grandview.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by Cirrus; Aug 26, 2015 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:37 PM

They had to get a height exception for 3 stories?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:54 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
You could break a toe jumping off the top of those.. therefore it's a highrise.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Looking at the map for that development, it looks like the residents will have to go south to 55th before they can cross over Wadsworth to get to the rail station, unless they are planning to build an underpass below the tracks to Grandview.
I wondered about that too.

Quote:
This site isn't really "in" Olde Town so much a nearby.

Two of the links I included were of a group of NIMBY's and a tea party flavored group. That's Arvada.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:27 AM

Anyone know how many floors are being added to Swedish ? I think they are working on their 3rd.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:00 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Isn't two stories the accepted standard for TOD?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 3:06 AM

Out-fill?
Courtesy of 7News Denver
New residential development to be called Sierra Ridge on the southwest corner of Chambers Rd. and Lincoln Ave. A part of Parker up to 1600 single and multi family units can be built.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:44 PM

Smaller Colorado Springs apartment projects offer a big lifestyle alternative

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West