HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:21 AM

Arrow Marine Drive Gateway | 102.1m, 77.7m, 63.4m | 35flr, 26flr, 14flr | Completed

A big thanks to jlousa for tipping us info on this development:

http://www.pci-group.com/

Last edited by mr.x; Jun 24, 2008 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:06 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Damn Nice

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:31 AM

nice

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:36 AM

a date was also shown on the page. 2007-2013 ... does this mean we can expect it to be completed by 2013?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:57 AM

^ well, i'd expect the new bus loop to be completed at the same time the Canada Line opens. I'm surprised to hear about the 1,100 daily bus movements....that means on average, a bus will be moving in or out the loop every minute.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:16 AM

maybe they mean bus passengers?

there can't be that many busses serving marine drive

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:50 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Nice looking project which will really improve the look of that part of South Vancouver ... that said this project will only come to fruition if the same NIMBY's which killed/delayed the Walmart and Canadian Tire projects in the the same relative area don't get a hold of this project ... here's hoping this project gets all the needed green lights from the City and the NIMBY's are on permanent holidays and is thus a this project is a go!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 9:05 AM

with the Main st, Cambie st, Oak st, Arbutus st, Granville st and Marine dr buses all terminating at the station i wouldn't be surprised with a bus every minuet.

Also I thought that part of Vancouver was going to be retained for industrial uses, i mean if they stick residential there they could just go and redevelop the even bigger area west of there that just got purchased and is planed for light industrial, warehouse, commercial developments. The area could become a new towncenter for Marpole and south Vancouver and make a Marine dr future rapid transit line even miore feasabel.

I always wondered if it would be possible to integrate light industrial, warehouse uses with high density residential. I mean just across the river their building towers right underneath YVR's flight path which is as noisy as just about any warehouse, light industry. Another option could be to allow developers to build residential in exchange for transferring industrial density to other sites such as east of Marine drive station. I know its not feasabel to build high density industrial buildings so to speak but by allowing the developer to profit on other industrial lands near rapid transit it could possibly make it worth it to build in exchange more expensive higher density industrial complexes elsewhere that can be multiple level etc. fitting more usable square footage in to a given area and not loosing overall industrial space in the city. Does anyone in the know if this was ever discussed or done elsewhere?
I mean what is the price difference of industrial land to high density waterfront residential next to a rapid transit station 10min from Richmond center and 10min from downtown Vancouver. Ok I had a quick look and it would seem industrial land in Vancouver seems to be 500,000-1,000,000 per acre while high density residential in downtown Vancouver is about 25,000,000-35,000,000 per acre and thats not waterfront. So to allow someone to rezone industrial land in and around that location I would think they could be expected to invest a extra 15,000,000-35,000,000 per acre elsewhere to at least double the usable square footage of a acre of industrial land and the city then has no net loss of industrial land. I mean the demand is there to redevelop this land so the city should at least try to be flexible, creative and innovative to use that huge demand for the cities benefit. Right now when they rezone the land the owners pocket huge profits and obviously dont replace the industrial space, but i have never seen the city say, well you can redevelop it but you have to find a way to replace that industrial space in the city, we dont care how you do it, but if you do we will rezone it to high density residential. Eventually it will become profitable for someone to do it and the city ends up in a win win situation. By the way my land price numbers might not be accurate as i just a had very quick look at 2006 prices for a few lots here and there.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 9:09 AM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:47 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I expect the Canadian Tire will get the go ahead very shortly, the Wal-Mart has given up and are working on a new location in Richmond. Also don't expect a ALRT line along Marine Drive, although there is talk of a street car like line from 22nd station connecting to the new Rav line at Cambie and possible all the way to UBC in the longer term. It would serve the industial areas and the east fraser lands development plus the other development at Kerr and Marine along with anything else that comes up. It would use the existing rail lines so it would be easy/cheap to get up and running and it wouldn't have to stop for lights along the way. If it happens it would be at least 5 yrs away.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
with the Main st, Cambie st, Oak st, Arbutus st, Granville st and Marine dr buses all terminating at the station i wouldn't be surprised with a bus every minuet.

Also I thought that part of Vancouver was going to be retained for industrial uses, i mean if they stick residential there they could just go and redevelop the even bigger area west of there that just got purchased and is planed for light industrial, warehouse, commercial developments. The area could become a new towncenter for Marpole and south Vancouver and make a Marine dr future rapid transit line even miore feasabel.

I always wondered if it would be possible to integrate light industrial, warehouse uses with high density residential. I mean just across the river their building towers right underneath YVR's flight path which is as noisy as just about any warehouse, light industry. Another option could be to allow developers to build residential in exchange for transferring industrial density to other sites such as east of Marine drive station. I know its not feasabel to build high density industrial buildings so to speak but by allowing the developer to profit on other industrial lands near rapid transit it could possibly make it worth it to build in exchange more expensive higher density industrial complexes elsewhere that can be multiple level etc. fitting more usable square footage in to a given area and not loosing overall industrial space in the city. Does anyone in the know if this was ever discussed or done elsewhere?
I mean what is the price difference of industrial land to high density waterfront residential next to a rapid transit station 10min from Richmond center and 10min from downtown Vancouver. Ok I had a quick look and it would seem industrial land in Vancouver seems to be 500,000-1,000,000 per acre while high density residential in downtown Vancouver is about 25,000,000-35,000,000 per acre and thats not waterfront. So to allow someone to rezone industrial land in and around that location I would think they could be expected to invest a extra 15,000,000-35,000,000 per acre elsewhere to at least double the usable square footage of a acre of industrial land and the city then has no net loss of industrial land. I mean the demand is there to redevelop this land so the city should at least try to be flexible, creative and innovative to use that huge demand for the cities benefit. Right now when they rezone the land the owners pocket huge profits and obviously dont replace the industrial space, but i have never seen the city say, well you can redevelop it but you have to find a way to replace that industrial space in the city, we dont care how you do it, but if you do we will rezone it to high density residential. Eventually it will become profitable for someone to do it and the city ends up in a win win situation. By the way my land price numbers might not be accurate as i just a had very quick look at 2006 prices for a few lots here and there.
You could definitely integrate light-industrial uses into mixed-use projects. I would even say the line becomes blurred between certain commercial and light-industrial activities. I think a mixed-use building with a small shop facing a back-lane would work fine

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:08 AM

If you take a look at the rendering (even though I know it's very preliminary) it looks as though the residential tower butts up with the bus depot. With over 1000 buses utilizing the depot a day wouldn't be alot smarter to switch the commercial space with the residential to minimize the amount of noise that residents would have to endure?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
If you take a look at the rendering (even though I know it's very preliminary) it looks as though the residential tower butts up with the bus depot. With over 1000 buses utilizing the depot a day wouldn't be alot smarter to switch the commercial space with the residential to minimize the amount of noise that residents would have to endure?
Most buses would run during the day, when most residents would not be there. At night, you would assume the bus service would be less frequent, so less disturbing to residents, who would be in by then.

If the commercial was at the front near the buses, you could imagine high-paying commercial tenants (who would be in their offices all day when the buses were most frequent) complaining about all the noise and pollution from the buses outside their windows. Could be enough for commercial tenants to stay clear.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Most buses would run during the day, when most residents would not be there. At night, you would assume the bus service would be less frequent, so less disturbing to residents, who would be in by then.

If the commercial was at the front near the buses, you could imagine high-paying commercial tenants (who would be in their offices all day when the buses were most frequent) complaining about all the noise and pollution from the buses outside their windows. Could be enough for commercial tenants to stay clear.
Makes sense, but I really don't think potential residents would want to live next to a source of so much noise. If you've ever lived within a block radius of a bus stop you'd know what I mean.

*EDIT*

It actually looks from the new rendering that the residential component has been moved away from the depot.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 9:07 AM

why can't industrial spaces be built underground, below residential and commercial spaces?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
why can't industrial spaces be built underground, below residential and commercial spaces?
Way too expensive. Industrial warehousing is typically tilt up construction built on slab. Industrial rents cannot sustain the cost of digging underground.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 8:23 PM

I think it's a good project as long as the office space doesn't bite the dust. It's just the ICBC site - so as long as no other large scale residential is permitted in the area, it shouldn't be the thin edge of the wedge into the industrial areas. Note that there is some existing small scale residential to the west of the station site.

WRT residential and industrial uses - residents tend to complain about truck traffic - and that's a key element of what the light industrial / warehousing sites do for their business.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:12 AM

this will spruce up that area nicely.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:09 PM

Heres some more renderings of the projects, no facade details, but a little more consise renderings of the massings.

I was surprised at the size of the office component of the development, not only is it a high building, but it is quite 'girthy' as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:51 PM

Thanks! Those are more consistent with the current bus loop plans. I couldn't see anyone paying for the cost of movng the bus loop soon after it is built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver