HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php

The Toronto Police disagree with you.
First, that says 51, not 46. Second, it's not up to date. Here you go: (it says gta but it's clearly just for Toronto)

http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/homicide2010

Reality disagrees with you.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 8:56 PM

Road rage turns to murder:

Quote:
MONTREAL - A 26-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder on Friday in connection with an incident they believe began with a simple verbal confrontation between two drivers.

Police say the suspect, Jeffrey Lindor, got into an argument with another driver, 42-year-old Jorge De Castro, for unknown reasons around 8 p.m. near the intersection of Laurier Ave. E. and 18th Ave.

At a certain point, said Montreal police Constable Olivier Lapointe, Lindor got back into his car and allegedly rammed the vehicle into De Castro before speeding away.

Doctors told police the victim was being kept on life support but that he would not survive his injuries. Prosecutor Helene Di Salvo said De Castro died Friday morning at a hospital.

A few minutes after police arrived on the scene of the incident, the younger driver showed up again. There was visible damage to the front of his car, Lapointe said. He was arrested and interviewed overnight before the formal charges were laid.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz17kDo5mH7
Thats the 36th of the year

Edit: Theres a video, you can see how it started. They cut out the actual homicide though:

http://lcn.canoe.ca/video/7061416330...ves-de-ce-qui/

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Dec 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:09 AM

Toronto is at 59

around 80 for the GTA.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:33 PM

To keep things in perspective last year Detroit had 379 murders

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

still at 19 in winnipeg this time last year was 29

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:25 AM

Ottawa's at 10. I don't think it's been a terribly bad year for murders here, but it seems that all of them have been quite high profile in the news. This time last year I wouldn't have been able to recall any of the murders, but this year....
-guy murders girlfriend, steals her apartment, and tells everybody she went to Florida on vacation, meanwhile she is in the dumpster out back
-16 year old shot in heart twice and left for dead at 10am
-Ottawa man murders boyfriend, stuffs his body in a suitcase, and dumps it on a Montreal street
-And, while he didn't kill anyone in Ottawa, we still can't forget Russell Williams and that messed up shit. He was busy stealing women's underwear from people here in town when this all hit the fan.

Anyway, just seems like the year of extra-disturbing murders here in O-town

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:47 AM
I am a typical

Three homicides in September had people here flipping out, but we are still at 4 for the year.

This evening is the three year anniversary of my uncle's murder. About this time in 2007 he was kicked out of a bar and left to die in a snowbank. The man they charged got off a couple months ago; the people who did the real damage have probably been laughing it up. The whole thing was fucked up.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:58 AM

[QUOTE=O-Town Hockey;5090723]
-Ottawa man murders boyfriend, stuffs his body in a suitcase, and dumps it on a Montreal street [\QUOTE]

Wait, so that's considered a murder in Ottawa? Because I counted that as a Montreal homicide. So did the media...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:13 AM

Still at 0 in Windsor....just need to get through three more weeks!

I'm not sure how many hundreds of murders there have been in the city 1 km to the north of us this year but last I heard they were down from the previous year so that's good.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:16 PM

i believe Halifax is at 11
someone correct me if im wrong

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Three homicides in September had people here flipping out, but we are still at 4 for the year.

This evening is the three year anniversary of my uncle's murder. About this time in 2007 he was kicked out of a bar and left to die in a snowbank. The man they charged got off a couple months ago; the people who did the real damage have probably been laughing it up. The whole thing was fucked up.
that's fucking terrible.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:26 PM

So here in Alberta Edmonton is at 24 and Calgary is at 14

Regina is at 8 despite being 1/5th the size of Calgary

Four of the city’s eight homicides in 2010 happened in North Central, a neighborhood of about 10,500 people or 6% of the city's population

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
So here in Alberta Edmonton is at 24 and Calgary is at 14

Regina is at 8 despite being 1/5th the size of Calgary

Four of the city’s eight homicides in 2010 happened in North Central, a neighborhood of about 10,500 people or 6% of the city's population
If this is true then that Regina neighbourhood has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000 people, which is comparable to city-wide murder rates for Detroit and Baltimore. Of course, the Detroit and Baltimore rates are for the entire cities (encompassing both good and bad areas), and both thse cities most certainly have areas where the murder rate is higher than 40 per 100,000.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If this is true then that Regina neighbourhood has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000 people, which is comparable to city-wide murder rates for Detroit and Baltimore. Of course, the Detroit and Baltimore rates are for the entire cities (encompassing both good and bad areas), and both thse cities most certainly have areas where the murder rate is higher than 40 per 100,000.
Yeah, here's the article I got that info from http://www.globalsaskatoon.com/North...163/story.html

Quote:
Four of the city’s eight homicides in 2010 happened in North Central. Police say they have a permanent presence there.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Since the federal government's amendments to the Indian Act (R.S., 1985, c. I-5) removed restrictions on mobility of Status Indians (a Status Indian being an aboriginal person who is registered under the Act: see Indian Act), the neighbourhood's aboriginal population has steadily risen; current estimates show that one-third of the neighbourhood's 12,000-odd population is of aboriginal ethnicity.[25]

The neighbourhood has been the subject of controversy and concern in recent years due to the high concentration of poverty, prostitution, and rundown rental housing. It is estimated that there are more IV drug users in North-Central per capita than in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.[26] Although crime rates in the area remain relatively high, they have fallen in recent years due to efforts by the Regina Police Service and several agencies, including a stolen vehicle program, an anti-drug strategy, and an increase in the number of police officers in the area.[27]This has been a national trend for some time[28]. As of November 2006, nearly 18% of the crime in Regina occurred in this neighbourhood, which has less than 6% of the population, or a 153-block area containing approximately (by another estimate) 10,500 people.[27]

In recent years the local government's commitment to invest in the inner-city has been questioned in view of its attempts to close inner-city library branches and a proposal to implement a base tax which would have lowered property taxes in outlying areas, where average household income for all residents is more than triple that of all residents in the inner city[29][30] — but would have increased taxes for inner-city properties. A change in funding structure will result in the three low income neighbourhoods of Cathedral Area, Al Ritchie and Argyle Park having funding reduced by $40,000 collectively and North Central having funding increased by $15,000.[31] The $494,000 necessary to reach this target have not been fully provided.

Positive efforts to engage the social problems in North-Central include the Inner City Family Foundation, community association programs and a rental property inspection team provided via a volunteer organization. The City of Regina has legal authority to create a rental licensing program and an inspection team, but has not yet implemented either of these solutions. At the beginning of 2007, City Council increased funding for six inner-city community associations by $19,000, but disbursed the total $369,000 to an additional 18 associations.[32][33]

A January 2007 article in Maclean's[34] has helped prompt the city government to look at new ways of providing better housing to residents.[citation needed] The mayor has met with First Nations chiefs to create a dialogue, the first time during his six-year tenure in office.[35] Also, It has spurred renewed discussion of establishing Regina's first urban reserve with in the city, in association with the Piapot Cree Nation. Several years ago, the City of Regina negotiated a servicing agreement with the Nekaneet First Nation to establish an urban reserve in the northeast Industrial Area. The reserve has not yet been approved by the federal government.
I personally visit this neighborhood about 4-5 times during each summer because the Riders' stadium is in that neighborhood, and it really has shown improvement in the last 5 years. A lot of the businesses and homes have been fixed up dramatically, graffiti and gang signals aren't as evident and the overall feel of the area has improved.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:01 PM
I am a typical

My neighbourhood (downtown, and the poor area north of it) has about 5,000 people and almost all of the city's murders happen here. In 2007 there were 3, in 2009 there were 4, this year there has been only 1, this is the first year where most homicides in the city has occurred in other neighbourhoods. There have been years in the past where all homicides happened here. Like Regina's North Central, it's poor and has a large aboriginal population but there are signs of improvements like renovated homes and businesses, less obvious signs of gangs and other criminal activity, and so on.

--

There was a murder-suicide in a village just west of Thunder Bay's city limit yesterday. A 69 year old man shot his 69 year old wife, then killed himself. They had a history of domestic dispute. This brings the CMA up to 5, and it is the first homicide outside of Thunder Bay's city limit but within the general area since 2005.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=123756

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
Edan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Yeah, here's the article I got that info from http://www.globalsaskatoon.com/North...163/story.html

From Wikipedia:

I personally visit this neighborhood about 4-5 times during each summer because the Riders' stadium is in that neighborhood, and it really has shown improvement in the last 5 years. A lot of the businesses and homes have been fixed up dramatically, graffiti and gang signals aren't as evident and the overall feel of the area has improved.
To be quite honest, the neighbourhood itself is quite large compared to others in the city. A little more than twice the size of our Downtown. I drive lengthwise down the centre of North Central every day on my way to school in the south. Most of community really is seniors and the odd starter-family. There is really just a more concentrated area within 'the hood' around 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues that is really the problem area. I feel perfectly safe while walking through the area. There are many community centres, schools and the police station nearby. That being said, it still would be nice not to have 16 year olds killing eachother, and 2 year olds wandering the busy streets, sometimes just walking in their diapers in the middle of the major thoroughfares.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:35 PM

10 people shot in Vancouver. Thats a bad day in NY, let alone Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:40 PM

Holy shit

None killed however

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
To be quite honest, the neighbourhood itself is quite large compared to others in the city. A little more than twice the size of our Downtown. I drive lengthwise down the centre of North Central every day on my way to school in the south. Most of community really is seniors and the odd starter-family. There is really just a more concentrated area within 'the hood' around 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues that is really the problem area. I feel perfectly safe while walking through the area. There are many community centres, schools and the police station nearby. That being said, it still would be nice not to have 16 year olds killing eachother, and 2 year olds wandering the busy streets, sometimes just walking in their diapers in the middle of the major thoroughfares.
It's like that here, too. Most crime is limited to a few main streets. Get a block away from them, and it's just a typical middle class neighbourhood, even though it technically has a very high crime rate and lots of poverty, just because that street is included in the boundary of what is considered to be that neighbourhood.

I don't know about Regina, but the difference in income over a short distance in this part of Thunder Bay can be quite striking. You can be in a very run down area, then walk a few blocks and be surrounded by very nice houses on tree lined streets.

We don't have children in diapers wandering streets here though, at least not that I've seen, and most crime involving teens is in the suburbs, in the social housing townhouse developments.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's like that here, too. Most crime is limited to a few main streets. Get a block away from them, and it's just a typical middle class neighbourhood, even though it technically has a very high crime rate and lots of poverty, just because that street is included in the boundary of what is considered to be that neighbourhood.

I don't know about Regina, but the difference in income over a short distance in this part of Thunder Bay can be quite striking. You can be in a very run down area, then walk a few blocks and be surrounded by very nice houses on tree lined streets.

We don't have children in diapers wandering streets here though, at least not that I've seen, and most crime involving teens is in the suburbs, in the social housing townhouse developments.
Of course some parts of North Central are worse than others, but there certainly aren't any "rich" parts either. Here's a map of violent crime density in Regina. Immediately across Albert Street from North Central, and I mean literally across the street, the violent crime rate is at its lowest but this area isnt part of North Central

The other low crime area just south of North Central is the Cathedral District which is divided from North Central by a railway line and Mosaic Stadium

The other high crime area of the city immediately east of downtown is Al Ritchie, which is similar to North Central in circumstances. Though it's home to Milky Way, a pretty awesome ice cream stand

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada