HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Colin Kaepernick may be joining the Montreal Alouettes.
Zero chance this happens. Dude would absolutely dominate here if he did decide to play though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Dude would absolutely dominate here if he did decide to play though.
Seriously?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:26 PM

So far I am really impressed with the job Ambrosie is doing. He is a million times better than Orridge. He gets ahead of issues instead of responding to them, he is far more aggressive in getting action plans going with every team on best practices and improvement areas. Being a former player he knows the game inside out and has a genuine passion for 3 down football.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Colin Kaepernick may be joining the Montreal Alouettes.
A more likely scenario

Manziel tells ESPN’s Adam Schefter he had ‘positive meeting with Ambrosie’
CFL.ca Staff September 27, 2017

TORONTO — Johnny Manziel has released a statement via ESPN’s Adam Schefter after the CFL confirmed that Commissioner Randy Ambrosie and the former Texas A&M star met. In the exchange with Schefter, Manziel said he had a ‘really positive meeting’ with Ambrosie and that he is ‘ready to play’.

On Wednesday morning the CFL stated that it would not file a 2017 contract for Manziel with the Tiger-Cats or any other team but would be “eligible to sign a contract for the 2018 season and, if Mr. Manziel meets certain conditions that have been spelled out by the Commissioner, the CFL will register that contract.”

A full transcript of what Shefter posted on his Facebook page is below or in the tweet above:

“I recently had a really positive meeting with Commissioner Ambrosie and welcomed the chance for us to get to know each other and have an in-depth talk about a possible future with the CFL. I love this game and want to be back on the field in a situation where I can help a franchise in the long term. Over the past months, my agent helped me vet all of my options for playing, figuring out where I could be most effective and get back to having the most fun with the game I love. I’m ready to play today, but we all agreed with the Commissioner that it made no sense for me to join a team with only a month left in the season – it wouldn’t have been fair to my teammates, coaches or the fan base. I want to come into a team and earn my job day one, like everyone else. I look forward to preparing myself as best I can and look forward to what the future holds.”

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:49 PM

Might be a good time for a repost of an article (from someone who is qualified to talk about both the CFL and NFL) and how it might benefit someone like Johnny Football.

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’
The MMQB with Peter King
Doug Flutie June 24th, 2014

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

My CFL career started in 1990, with the BC Lions, and I didn’t know what to expect. But I could tell I was going to be viewed as a backup in the NFL, and you only have so many years to play this game, and I wanted to play. So I figured I’d give the CFL a whirl. When I first went up to Canada, I thought I’d put in two years up there and then try to get back to the NFL. But I enjoyed it so much, I wound up making a career out of it.

The game in Canada was more exciting, more explosive, more wide open. It was what the NFL is now becoming. We were going no huddle, over the ball, from the time I got up there. No-back sets, six wide receivers, throwing the ball all over the field. There is a 20-second clock between plays rather than 40. It just creates a pace that the NFL is now realizing to be more exciting—and actually more effective.

By the time I finished up in the CFL, I was basically my own offensive coordinator, calling all the plays on the field. We had our playbook, but I had my ideas from watching film during the week of game-planning and seeing things on the field. My whole theory at quarterback was to keep my receivers from having to think too much. Let them just be full speed and go. Rather than making them read everything on the fly and then adjusting, I would give them a route and they would just run it. I told them, “I’ll deal with the pressure, I’ll deal with the hot reads, I’ll build something in where I’ll get rid of the ball quickly.”

The NFL is turning into a no-huddle, up-tempo, fast-paced, throw-the-football type of game now. The CFL has been that for the past 30 years.

When I played in Toronto, we were playing a regular-season game against Edmonton, and I called a quarterback draw. The running back, Robert Drummond, was going to run a swing route to try to pull a linebacker with him. But the linebacker lined up on the edge, and it was an all-out blitz, so there was nothing in the middle of the field. It was either going to be a touchdown or we were going to be stopped at the line of scrimmage. Drummond was faster than I was, so just before the ball was snapped, in the middle of my cadence, I said, “Hey, just jump in and take the snap direct and run the draw.” He busted it for like a 70-yard touchdown.

Another time, we were going into the Grey Cup against Saskatchewan in 1997, and they had been giving us headaches with their zone blitzes. Instead of changing all of our pass protections and really worrying about it, I built in a hitch screen. Every time they came with a blitz from one side of the field, I would just turn and throw the hitch screen. They tried to zone blitz three or four times in the first quarter, and we averaged like 18 yards a catch off this silly little hitch screen to a back or wide receiver. And they quit doing it. We just lit them up. We scored a mess of points and had a really efficient day.

To do that in the NFL, though, it would probably have to be a coordinator’s idea. And then you would have to clear it with the offensive line coach, to make sure you can block all this stuff. Then you would have to execute it a couple of days in practice, and if it looked OK, it would make its way into the game plan. In the CFL, I was in a position where if I saw something in the middle of the game, I could just put it in without having to ask anybody. As long as you keep it simple enough, guys can just react and go. The NFL, for years, has been a copycat league. A coach would have to see something be successful elsewhere before he was willing to try it—and the league has been very slow to change because of that.

I’ll tell you what drove me nuts more than anything: I went from calling my own plays in the CFL, then back to the NFL for eight seasons, where I had a radio in my helmet and as soon as one play ended, the coaches were talking to you in the helmet for 20 seconds. It took so long to get a play call in, and your first thought was, What is the coach looking for? rather than, What do I want to do here?

During my days with the Buffalo Bills, we were a running, play-action team that played really good defense in low-scoring games. You adapt, and you do it that way. But boy, the mindset was different. When I was in the CFL, I was very aggressive. Aggressive in my play-calling; aggressive in my decision-making. In the NFL, I became much more passive, trying to do what I thought the coaches wanted me to do all the time.

Of course, when you’ve got a Peyton Manning, a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees—a guy who has been in an offense for a number of years—the trust factor goes up. The coaches start letting go of the reins and let quarterbacks have much more of a say. But I never got to that point with an NFL team, where I was there long enough (or starting long enough) to gain that trust. In the NFL, with what’s at stake money-wise and the pressure on coaches, they want total control because their necks are on the line.

In the CFL, it was more of a game. And it was a lot more fun. The length of the workday really helped with that, too. By CBA rule, they could only keep us there 4½ hours. In the NFL, it’s 10- to 12-hour days, every day, and it becomes a grind. I know the NFL is a big business, and it’s getting more complicated and tougher, but the burnout level, especially for quarterbacks, is crazy. I just wish there were some way around that, to somehow keep the fun in the game.

I was actually, for a while, making more money in the CFL working a 4½ hour workday than I would have in the NFL with a 12-hour workday. And I was in total control of the offense. You can see why I enjoyed it so much. I’d go in around 10 a.m., watch some film on my own and do some game-planning, grab lunch, and then start the day with the team at 1 p.m. We’d end by 5:30.

I’m pretty sure the trajectory of my career would have been different today. I would have been in a position to be more successful in the NFL running some of these current styles of offenses, and I think an NFL team would have been more open to turning me into a franchise guy if things went well. I was always viewed by NFL teams as a band-aid: A guy who could help us win, keep us competitive, and while he’s doing that, we’re going to go find our franchise quarterback. It has turned into a little bit different mentality now with the success of guys like Brees and Russell Wilson, and the success of the spread offenses in the NFL.

But the CFL gave me so much. When I left Toronto for Buffalo, I was 35 and I was ready to retire. I figured I’d come back to the NFL for maybe a year or two, just to prove I could do it. I ended up playing another eight years. That was just crazy. The CFL gave me the opportunity to be a starter, regain my confidence, and then come back and be a starter in the NFL. And, I got to play eight games with my younger brother, Darren. We were both with the BC Lions in 1991.

Another thing I'll always remember is how fanatical the fans are up in Canada. Especially in some of the smaller markets, this is their football and they love their teams. You can draw a parallel with just about every city to a team in America. Saskatchewan reminds me a lot of Green Bay. They live for their team. Hamilton, with its blue-collar fans, is Pittsburgh. Calgary would be Denver—you’re at an altitude, and everybody who goes into Calgary to play is out of breath.

Calgary is where I won my first CFL championship, in 1992. We played against Edmonton in the Western final to go to the Grey Cup, and we had to drive the length of the field, into the wind, in the last seconds to win that game. I ended up running the ball in from a few yards out for the winning score. That was my shining moment that season.

Then we played the Grey Cup in Toronto, and I just remember dominating the game against Winnipeg. The last minute or two, I was standing on the sideline with Dave Sapunjis, my receiver and best friend on the team, putting on our Grey Cup champions hats, and playing to our crowd behind our bench. It was just a moment in time for me. You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:58 PM

Blast from the past. The Roy Hobbs of the CFL (without the happy ending unfortunately)

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:00 AM

It's a real shame that the amount of legends the CFL had in the 90's Flutie, Pringle, Ham, Allen, Dunigan, Pitts that the league was in such poor health financially at the time.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It's a real shame that the amount of legends the CFL had in the 90's Flutie, Pringle, Ham, Allen, Dunigan, Pitts that the league was in such poor health financially at the time.
Why is that a shame? The on field product has always been good it's always been about the perception of being compared by some to the greatest marketed sports juggernaut on earth. And that's a game they can never win, so why do some bother with that kind of comparison? Enjoy one or the other or preferably be a FOOTBALL fan first and foremost.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Why is that a shame? The on field product has always been good it's always been about the perception of being compared by some to the greatest marketed sports juggernaut on earth. And that's a game they can never win, so why do some bother with that kind of comparison? Enjoy one or the other or preferably be a FOOTBALL fan first and foremost.
Just a shame that more fans did not attend games in the 90's to see such quality football and these legends in their prime.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Just a shame that more fans did not attend games in the 90's to see such quality football and these legends in their prime.
It was an absolutely dismal time in Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It was an absolutely dismal time in Ottawa.
Actually the first three years of the 90s were a pretty good rebound in attendance along the lines of what they are getting now. Attendance took a dip in 93 that continued to the death of the RR and emergence of the Renegades. The first three years of the Renegades were about what they are getting now and they then took a big dip in the fourth year. Always hated that name, Renegades, kinda like the Raptors just couldn't see the connection.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Actually the first three years of the 90s were a pretty good rebound in attendance along the lines of what they are getting now. Attendance took a dip in 93 that continued to the death of the RR and emergence of the Renegades. The first three years of the Renegades were about what they are getting now and they then took a big dip in the fourth year. Always hated that name, Renegades, kinda like the Raptors just couldn't see the connection.
I lived all through those crap years, which actually dated back to the early 80s. Attendance really was not a reflection of the mess that was Ottawa ownership and management. When attendance fell, it was when the franchise reached a hopeless level and fans finally began to flee. The last few years of the Rough Riders and the last year of the Renegades were a disgrace. There was no consideration of building a franchise at that point and people were fed up. The last glimmer of hope occurred in 92 and they promptly dismantled the team the next year. The fan base was bewildered by the incompetence.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Zero chance this happens. Dude would absolutely dominate here if he did decide to play though.
I don't know, his success in the NFL was the read option which was a winner for a season until NFL defensive coordinators figured out how to stop it and then that was it for Kap.
The CFL has been playing the read option for years so he may be able to have some success but dominance? I would reserve judgement until he actually played a down in the 110 yd league.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:20 AM
Moran supreme

Impressive regular season stats. Stamps giving up less than 18 points per game to this point in this season. But playoffs, ugh.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Impressive regular season stats. Stamps giving up less than 18 points per game to this point in this season. But playoffs, ugh.
That's what we all depend on!!!!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
That’s what’s said about every NFL name when they come to the CFL, but none of them have ever dominated, save for Fluite. How did it work out for Ricky Williams, as the most recent example? They said he’d dominate too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 2:46 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
That’s what’s said about every NFL name when they come to the CFL, but none of them have ever dominated, save for Fluite. How did it work out for Ricky Williams, as the most recent example? They said he’d dominate too.
Flutie wasn't a notable name in the NFL before he came to the CFL..

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Flutie wasn't a notable name in the NFL before he came to the CFL..
We was well noted then and still to this day as the guy who threw the "Hail Mary" pass. He signed for big money with the USFL and then on to the NFL. He may not have been a full time starter in his first NFL go around but he was probably the most famous clipboard carrier in the league.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Time to resurrect this article.

All-American CFL QB busts
They come to Canada and fail miserably
Bill Lankhof, Toronto Sun June 27, 2010

In a perfect world, Andre Ware could've been a Doug Flutie clone; T.J. Rubley would've been Anthony Calvillo before anyone this side of Utah State knew there was an Anthony Calvillo, and Jason Gesser should've been a household name today beyond his own living-room walls.

Woulda.

Coulda.

Shoulda.

They are the all-American kids and along with such luminous college football icons as Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, Don McPherson, Tommie Frazier, Tony Rice and Major Harris, there was every indication that they were perfectly suited to conquer the Canadian Football League.

The scouting reports said they had it all - strong of arm and will, quick or fast or both. They should've been able to capture a country's football ideals.

Instead, they flashed through our universe like a phoenix that could not raise itself beyond mediocrity in a game they often never grew to understand.

Instead, they are just names on a long list of Heisman Trophy winners and contenders, superb, all-American athletes who could thrive in front of a hundred thousand screaming faithful in the temples of U.S. college ball but floundered on a Canadian prairie pasture or in Hogtown and Steeltown in front of family and friends and half-empty stadiums.

Tales of Cinderella turned Medusa.

How can this happen?

Not just once to the oft-impugned refugee from the NFL, Vince Ferragamo, but to the brightest and the best of U.S. college football.

Over. And over.

Generation to generation.

To NCAA champions such as Tee Martin, to first-round NFL picks such as Smith, to Heisman winners such as Crouch and to Brad Banks, winner of a Davey O'Brien Award presented annually to the best quarterback in U.S. college football.

"Players may have tremendous success in a high-profile university. They may become household names just because their games are being televised all the time and they may be on very good teams. And, as personnel people (scouts) we do get enamoured at times by great athletes, by players who have name recognition. But that doesn't always translate into a good pro football player," says Jim Popp, general manager of Montreal's Alouettes.

If it did translate, then Ware, coming from the University of Houston's run-and-shoot offence, should've been the perfect candidate to orchestrate a pass-happy CFL offence.

But as a CFL quarterback he makes a great colourman on ESPN.

If Heisman translated into hoser-speak, Crouch or Cody Pickett would be the Argonauts' starting quarterback today.

But, notes former CFL quarterback and CFL hall of famer Matt Dunigan in pithy grace: "There's a bunch of guys who roll up here with all kinds of athletic ability and they just (dirty) the bed."

The reasons are many and varied:

One reason many college or NFL players never find success and glory in the CFL is because they can't play outside a mould.

They were "system quarterbacks" in college, says Jim Barker, who spent the past five seasons scouting U.S. colleges for the Calgary Stampeders before signing on as head coach in 2010 to rebuild the Argonauts.

"In college, and sometimes in the NFL too, they build systems that suit the quarterbacks. Here we usually don't. We ask quarterbacks to adapt to the system," says Barker, "and at the pro level, a quarterback needs to be in a system that suits his abilities. When I got Tommy Maddox (in Los Angeles when they won the XFL championship) he had played for years in Dan Reeves' (Denver) offence which didn't suit what he does - play action, deep drop. His whole deal is getting the ball out of his hand quickly. That's when he's most effective. When he went on to Pittsburgh in the NFL and they put him in that situation, he flourished."

Paul Masotti reached the zenith of his success in the CFL in the Toronto catching passes from Flutie, who made the leap from Boston College to the CFL without a hitch. But Masotti also saw a lot of great athletes who went on to careers as high school coaches.

There was Mike McMahon who went from setting records at Rutgers to the Detroit Lions to the Argonauts to unemployed. And Syracuse great Marvin Graves. Great skill sets. But ...

"That's the thing. They could get away with just being great athletes in college when they had the system built around them. The perfect example would be (Crouch)," says Masotti. "They ran the option, some designated pass plays, but when players come up here the defences and offences are more sophisticated and there's one less down to get it done ... "

Crouch survived less than two seasons in the CFL. He is a free agent, a CFL refugee with nowhere to go at last check.

Major Harris was twice a Heisman contender and such a great talent that he left West Virginia University early.

"I thought he'd be a star up here," says Masotti.

Instead he was gone after one season, played a few years of Arena ball and retired. All those glitzy numbers in the NCAA didn't add up to success in the CFL.

"The college co-ordinators will gear their entire offence towards what a guy can do. That was the case with Harris," says Masotti. "They adjusted their offence to suit his assets. Whereas when he went to B.C., it was tough. He came in as the backup and now he's got to adjust to a system he's not used to, something that isn't his forte."

Too often American players think they're just too good for the CFL.

Harsh, maybe. But true.

More than once an All-American has arrived with talent exceeded only by their ego. But seldom does someone step from the college, or even the NFL ranks, into a starting role as a CFL quarterback.

Ricky Ray and Doug Flutie were anomalies. Most successful starting quarterbacks in the CFL spend three to five years in apprenticeship as backups. Calvillo became one of the CFL's greatest quarterbacks but it took years before he got a job as a starter and eight years before his first all-star nomination.

"If they are big-time stars in the NCAA and all of a sudden they have to take a back seat as the backup quarterback, a lot of guys can't handle it. A lot of guys don't want to handle it," says Popp, "they want out."

Going from big man on campus to holding a clipboard for someone playing ahead of them that they've never heard of can be a harsh reality check.

"I've met a few guys who come up here who are just disappointed that they didn't make the NFL and that they're in the CFL. They get down, depressed and maybe don't work so hard," says Argonauts backup QB Dalton Bell.

Texas-born, he was the third-stringer last year in Saskatchewan after leading West Texas A&M to a 20-4 record in two seasons as a starter. American kids, he says, never see Canadian football and few understand what it's all about until they get here. It's difficult to respect what you don't know.

"It's a different game than we grew up with down there. I maybe saw one CFL game when I was growing up. Where I'm from, it's football, football and our way of playing football is the way it is. At least that's how people think."

So, too many arrive believing that what works in the NCAA will work even better in the football hinterland of Canada.

"There are players who come up here and have no idea of the calibre of this league," says Barker. "They expect, 'Oh, I'll sign with the CFL, play there for a year and then go to the NFL.' That happens more often than the NFL or college guy who comes up here and embraces the game. If a guy can do that, he can have a great career.

"It's the guy who thinks he's coming up here for a year to show his stuff and then go on to something better - that is never succesful. He just doesn't have the right mindset.

"The guy who does that usually gets cut and often they never get another chance down there either. It happens all the time." Dunigan, who threw for a little more than 43,000 yards and had 306 passing TDs during his 14-year career in the CFL, remembers McMahon as a player who had the skill set to play up here. "But if you don't respect this game and you come up here and think you will master it, you've got another thing coming. "That's been the case with quite a few people. "They come up here not respecting the game and thinking they're going to own it. "That it's going to be just a stepping stone." Ready, set ... Duh!

Canadian football can make a college kid's head spin. It's big-play oriented. The motion can be confusing, the field is bigger and there's an extra player on each side. "I just think it's a different kind of offence. They can't get their head around it. It's just such a big jump," says Masotti. Throws have to go farther, defences are different. There's more room to run, but with the ball in the air longer, there's also more time for defensive backs to intercept inaccurate throws. "It's a big adjustment for any quarterback. When they get on the field the first time with all the motion and guys running all over the place, it's a big shock," says Bob O'Billovich, general manager of the Hamilton Ticats and a player, coach and CFL executive since 1963. "It does take time to get used to the nuances and how to be effective.

Being tagged as a Heisman candidate doesn't mean a lot except that you don't win the Heisman unless you have some ability. "You have to gauge that against what we do in our league. We're a big-play league with aggressive offensive systems. "Some guys take advantage of their opportunities - and with other guys it never happens.

Andre Ware was a guy with whom it never did click and he came out of a passing offence in college. He wasn't consistent enough." Masotti says on the surface the CFL looked like a league made for Ware, who retired in 1999 after three nondescript CFL seasons. "It should've been perfect. But he came up and just didn't make the adjustments. (The run-and-shoot offence) is also a tough offence for linemen to protect because you need a quarterback who can get rid of the ball quickly. It's a couple steps and it's got to be gone. If you don't have a quarterback who can read it properly the guy is going to get hit a lot." Goodbye, Andre.

The Canadian game may actually be more complicated for a quarterback than the NFL or NCAA. Cleo Lemon, in his first training camp with the Argonauts after eight seasons with four NFL teams, says with one fewer down with which to work "there's definitely more pressure. One small mistake and it's a turnover or you're kicking field goals or punting - instead of scoring touchdowns."

In Montreal, Popp has watched for three seasons as Calvillo, the future CFL hall of famer, has been mentor to Chris Leak, who led the University of Florida Gators to a national title and Adrian McPherson, a superstar at Florida State. There are those in the U.S. who simply cannot understand how either could be playing behind a guy from Utah State, who once auditioned for a pro-quarterback job in a Las Vegas parking lot and whom they've barely heard of but, says Popp: "The CFL game is different especially for the quarterback. When you get under centre in major college or the NFL, there's only one guy who can be in motion. Everything is pretty stationary and you can predetermine and make your decisions based on where people are placed on the field. When you snap the ball, you know where you are going with the ball. "In the CFL you have to do a lot of reads on the run. I don't care how long you've played quarterback, the issue is a lot of times guys come to our league and they have NEVER seen anything like this. "They get under centre, there's four guys in motion. There's four DBs running all over the place and the ball is snapped and now they're trying to figure out what the coverage is (zone or man-to-man). "A lot of guys get eliminated right there because they can't handle it."

There are moments in football, as in life, that do not make sense. So, looks can be deceiving. Successful college quarterbacks aren't necessarily great quarterbacks. As Popp notes, "There are a lot of college quarterbacks every year who get drafted but can't play in the NFL or the CFL. "Some guys play for such great schools that their weaknesses are covered up because their teams were so strong," says Popp.

It likely didn't hurt Tee Martin in 1998 when he led Tennessee to its first national title since 1951 to have Jamal Lewis in the backfield or Peerless Price and Jeremaine Copeland at receiver. Players such as Crouch or Harris may have looked the part of a CFL player but Dunigan suspects that what separates the successful quarterback from those who fade into footnotes has less to do with speed, agility or physical talent - and more to do with what's between their ears. "I've thought about this for 27 years since coming up here. Being a quarterback in this league is a job. I'm not saying those guys didn't treat it as one. But it's an approach.

"Some people seize opportunities and others don't. What's missing? I don't think you can categorize all those guys as missing the same thing. But, with each one, something was missing. "The best way to describe their lack of success is to describe what it takes to be successful. You look at someone like Damon Allen, (Tommy) Clements, Tracy Ham, (Dave) Dickenson, Calvillo, back to Condredge Holloway and Warren Moon; these guys brought some athleticism with them. Their arm strength varied, but every one of those guys had a sense of toughness. "They were physically tough, but what set them apart was their mental toughness, their willingness to learn and understand the mental aspect of the game."

When it comes to a CFL quarterback the only sure bet is that there is no such thing as a sure bet. It was May of 2005 and Barker, then in his first season scoping talent for the Stampeders, had earlier seen Gesser at Washington State tie with Carson Palmer for Pac-10 offensive player of the year honours. "I liked him so much I traded a first-round draft pick to get the rights to him," says Barker. "I thought he'd make a great CFL quarterback." He started the season as Henry Burris' backup, started two games and finished the season with four touchdown passes. He was also intercepted five times, completing 23 of 42 passes and the next season was in the Arena Football League. Today, Gesser is head football coach of Eastside Catholic School in Sammamish, WA. Carson Palmer is in the NFL and Barker is a smarter, more cautious man. "The only way you can tell if a player can be successful here is to bring him up and let him play. (Vince) Ferragamo was a very successful QB (in the NFL) and couldn't do it up here. "Akili Smith was a quarterback who with his skill set I thought would be very successful here. Maybe kicking around the NFL a few years he hasn't had success and he comes here and things go wrong, maybe he questions how good he really is and it all caves on him. "You just don't know how a guy is going to react mentally and what he is going to do when he comes up here. "From a scouting perspective it's impossible to know who is going to be successful."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:53 PM
Majestic

Good luck making the transition from NFL to CFL if your passing completion is shit.

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada