HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:28 PM

Yeah, Richard Florida has been saying the same thing on Twitter for months as well. I'm not sure I'm convinced that's been Amazon's direction all along, but I can't deny they got a lot of hot site selection data out of all the cool cities. When they start dropping Amazon Go stores in all the soon-to-be-developed brownfields in Cleveland or Boise we'll know for sure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I don't think it morphed to that, I think that was the whole strategy all along. Saw this on the twitter which sums it up nicely.

Yep.....it's getting harder and harder to be an optimist.

Just glad its over.

I really hoped, for selfish reasons, we would get Amazon. But I also felt that it would turbo boost Austin into a real city. It would force us to deal with zoning, housing, and infrastructure, immediately....all the while providing tons of jobs (both high paying and low paying) for the next decade. But the biggest thing, would be it would hopefully force the NIMBY's to STFU. They don't know a damn about urban planning, yet we let them control the city.....this is how we got anti-vaxers, climate deniers, and flat earthers. Let pros do their job.....firfooksake. When, better yet, why did we let morons have a say in ANYTHING.

Now we go back to fighting each and every small variance, up-zone, event, or company relo that we famously love to wax about. errrrr.....

had to get that off my chest. i'm done. On a side note, just got my first relo coming in from California....home burned down. Make some room Austin, this country belongs to all of us.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:05 PM

Well, Nashville just got a little sexier. I guess they got the consolation prize for being the Flyover Favorite. Lots of incentives being thrown at Amazon in all three locales. Austin probably never had a chance without playing the incentive game.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:19 PM

Austin is a winner by virtue of not being selected by Amazon. It was all along a marketing ploy: to hoodwink the contenders into falling over themselves to overpay and subsidize on behalf of one of the richest entities civilization has ever known. #Boondoggle

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelayjb View Post
Austin is a winner by virtue of not being selected by Amazon. It was all along a marketing ploy: to hoodwink the contenders into falling over themselves to overpay and subsidize on behalf of one of the richest entities civilization has ever known. #Boondoggle
I totally agree

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:42 PM

One of the 25K jobs "HQ" sites would have probably been too much to add to Austin's already high growth rate. But the 5K jobs operations center consolation prize would have been good.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
This is somewhat predictable. We already knew they wanted another 200k+ in Austin space 18 months ago. It's completely possible we see a 500-600K announcement in the next 6 months.

I think most of the finalists will see similar.
Since this mean Amazon doesn't need a huge amount of room to build a big campus, maybe this could mean building/leasing a nice gleaming new office tower downtown ala Facebook and Google.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:49 PM

amazon has over 7K employees in Austin... so Nashville will always be playing catch up to us.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:55 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
amazon has over 7K employees in Austin... so Nashville will always be playing catch up to us.
AMZN is giving Nashville 5k corporate jobs with an average salary of $150k.

AMZN has less than 1k employees in ATX for corporate jobs, the rest of its workforce is fullfilment centers and warehouses.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
AMZN is giving Nashville 5k corporate jobs with an average salary of $150k.

AMZN has less than 1k employees in ATX for corporate jobs, the rest of its workforce is fullfilment centers and warehouses.
Not true... Think Whole Foods. Those stats were in Austin Biz Journal today. AMZN has about 2K corp jobs and 5K WF originated jobs. And I just met with AMZN at their domain office to get latest stats.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:00 PM

I forgot about Whole Foods... I hate that they're AMZN now...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:33 PM
Meh

I love this headline:

"After Amazon closes HQ2 door, Austin shrugs and moves on"

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...s-and-moves-on

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:37 PM

Nashville won out of everyone. Growth without being overwhelmed. That Operations center would have been a nice get for Austin. But this was totally about public incentives. At the end of the day, that was a deciding factor here - regardless of how they try to downplay that in the release. Austin had the tech pool, the startup incubation, the liberal and quality of life culture, plus lower cost to employees that they were looking for. If it weren’t about public incentives, they’d have the hub in NoVa and the central hub here. I don’t blame Austin for not being as generous as other suitors. What company worth $1 trillion even puts weight on public money - they could have done without the connotative optics around that anyway. Isn’t Indeed bringing 3,000 employees here and leasing all of Block 71. I didn’t see them crying for employee tax credits.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:42 PM

I think the fact that Austin didn't have enough space in DT for a campus and that most ATX sites weren't in or near DT turned AMZN off. They really wanted urban and our most lauded sites weren't urban enough and not in DT.

The investments in Nashville are all DT.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:00 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I really don't think we've lost out to anything. We are doing just fine and will continue to grow and gain companies. Downtown is getting some significant office highrises because the demand for office space in DT is strong. I'm glad that we didn't bend over for Amazon. I said from the very beginning that Austin would not be chosen.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:23 PM
Resident Moron

I mean,

We definitely lost out. Those 5K jobs that Nashville got would have been a major get let alone one of the HQs. I don't like the amount of money being thrown at the richest company in the world, so I'm happy we didn't get into that kind of bidding war, but it would have been a huge get, and it is disappointing we didn't even wind up with HQ4 :p

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I mean,

We definitely lost out. Those 5K jobs that Nashville got would have been a major get let alone one of the HQs. I don't like the amount of money being thrown at the richest company in the world, so I'm happy we didn't get into that kind of bidding war, but it would have been a huge get, and it is disappointing we didn't even wind up with HQ4 :p
agreed.....from someone who entered adulthood in Austin when there was ZERO good jobs....I had friends with degrees waiting tables, and a few working for $7/hr. Anytime we have an opportunity to gain quality jobs is a GREAT thing. Trust me, it's scary when you start hearing about layoffs.....but how quickly people forget.

The Great Recession was nothing, in Austin at least, compared to the late '80s in Texas. Our rents were cheap, but we still barely could afford it. We all worked several jobs and went to UT. Ann Richards would visit the largest companies in the US to convince them to relo to Texas....we needed jobs bad.

I am grateful our city has grown and now offers plenty more jobs and I welcome any company willing to give Austin a chance. Of course, I'm proud that we didn't offer a billion dollars (or did we?) to a billionaire, but the game is the game.....and in the end, we need to look out for what's best for Austinites.....and that starts with work. (from what I read, NY stands to make a lot more in taxes collected when it is all said and done, than they will give away to Amazon)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:38 PM

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. I don't think any of the cities that were (are) willing to give huge incentives to lure Amazon were unaware of this and saw the benefits before making the offers. The winners will certainly gain from those incentives. Austin probably doesn't have pockets deep enough to afford the long term return on those incentives when we have so many other immediate issues to address, mainly transit and affordable housing. Heck, we were hoping Amazon would walk in and help fix some of our issues. Why would they? Because we are worth it? Maybe if we were the best and ONLY choice. Until we solve the transportation dilemma, homelessness, lack of affordable housing, ect... it would have been irresponsible to give up so much when the eventual payoff would be so far down the road. Look how difficult it has been getting MLS here based of giving them tax free use of city land. The short sightedness of so many people not seeing the eventual payoff even though in this case, the payoff would have been much sooner. I always thought Amazon would further exasperate some of the growth problems we are already dealing with. I'm sure some of you will enlighten me, but I never saw the benefit or need to have a headquarter here, not on this scale, or even half of it. How would it improve the lives of the average Austinite? How many more businesses and landmarks downtown would be replaced with high dollar condo towers so the highly paid transplants could have a place to live? As I said before, selfishly, I was only in it for perhaps the architectural value add to the skyline, and maybe a bit of prestige, but otherwise all I could see was skyrocketing housing prices, and more clogging to an already clogged transportation system. Those winning cities can absorb those issues much better than we could have. We dodged a bullet.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. I don't think any of the cities that were (are) willing to give huge incentives to lure Amazon were unaware of this and saw the benefits before making the offers. The winners will certainly gain from those incentives. Austin probably doesn't have pockets deep enough to afford the long term return on those incentives when we have so many other immediate issues to address, mainly transit and affordable housing. Heck, we were hoping Amazon would walk in and help fix some of our issues. Why would they? Because we are worth it? Maybe if we were the best and ONLY choice. Until we solve the transportation dilemma, homelessness, lack of affordable housing, ect... it would have been irresponsible to give up so much when the eventual payoff would be so far down the road. Look how difficult it has been getting MLS here based of giving them tax free use of city land. The short sightedness of so many people not seeing the eventual payoff even though in this case, the payoff would have been much sooner. I always thought Amazon would further exasperate some of the growth problems we are already dealing with. I'm sure some of you will enlighten me, but I never saw the benefit or need to have a headquarter here, not on this scale, or even half of it. How would it improve the lives of the average Austinite? How many more businesses and landmarks downtown would be replaced with high dollar condo towers so the highly paid transplants could have a place to live? As I said before, selfishly, I was only in it for perhaps the architectural value add to the skyline, and maybe a bit of prestige, but otherwise all I could see was skyrocketing housing prices, and more clogging to an already clogged transportation system. Those winning cities can absorb those issues much better than we could have. We dodged a bullet.
with all due respect Genral, transportation/homeless will never be "solved". What large western cities in the world have those 2 issues under control?

We can't force people off the street, and we can never build enough homes where people want to live, irrespective of the proposed code changes. We can easily build them in places people don't want to live.....where it is less "cool" to live....but then people complain. Austin has plenty of homes that are affordable....I've got a new listing in S Austin that is amazing...only $265k. Sure it is not brand new, but it is a great starter home....problem is, that for snobby Austinites, it is not in a cool neighborhood (it's off Brodie, south of William Cannon close to Slaughter). A couple making median income can afford that house. But it's small, and it's not in Travis Heights or Holly, so it doesn't count as "affordable".

Then there are suburbs north, south, and east of Austin, with brand new homes....most well under $300k. Those are very affordable for the average couple, and that is why they are selling like crazy. Sure there is a commute, but nowhere near the commute of Houston or Dallas suburbs.

The reason to support Amazon coming to Austin is simply, more new jobs are always better than less jobs. You want to live in a vibrant city, rising tides lift all our boats. I grew up in a sleepy town with little/no work, it's the worst for everyone.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:32 PM

Above all it's the loss of that Nashville office that should sting the most. It would've been a perfect fit for Austin, and we should've competed our asses off for that.

I think we either didn't know an office this size was on the table, or we didn't care. If we didn't care about a 5k-head marquee regional HQ, then we're governed by idiots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin