HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:44 PM
Posh

How Craft Breweries Are Helping to Revive Local Economies

How Craft Breweries Are Helping to Revive Local Economies
Quote:

Across the country, in once-bustling manufacturing centers, breweries are giving new fizz to sleepy commercial districts. If alcohol-based businesses were blamed for a breakdown of society in the Prohibition era and beyond, breweries are now being seen as a force for good.

“The economic ripple effects are definitely there,” said David Barnett, a Chicago-based senior research analyst for JLL, the commercial brokerage firm. Breweries “create a cool tourism aspect for out-of-towners, but it’s been good for residents as well.”

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 8:44 PM

I'm into craft beers, and I like having more breweries. But, in the end, it just boils down that craft breweries are just different versions of restaurants, and there are restaurants everywhere already. So, I wouldn't expect this to be some cure-all that revitalizes every corner of the country.

Keep in mind that to reduce costs, some breweries are located in industrial parks, alongside UPS or Walmart distribution centers, or next to heating and plumbing offices, etc. These are not going to help Main Street America grow. They are still a net positive for the economy, since consumers will have more options, and successful breweries will employ more people, regardless of where they are located.

The craft beer market is already starting to stabilize and mature. Breweries that entered the market 15 years ago have already expanded enough to make it harder for breweries that entered the market 10 years ago, who themselves have made it harder for breweries that entered the market 5 years ago, etc. Growth in sales is declining (but there is still growth), and we won't see many craft breweries become huge national competitors like New Belgium, Lagunitas, Founders, Dogfish Head, and Stone have. Most new breweries are destined to be mom-and-pop places that serve the local town or community, and don't get too much business from more than 30-45 minutes away.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I'm into craft beers, and I like having more breweries. But, in the end, it just boils down that craft breweries are just different versions of restaurants, and there are restaurants everywhere already. So, I wouldn't expect this to be some cure-all that revitalizes every corner of the country.

Keep in mind that to reduce costs, some breweries are located in industrial parks, alongside UPS or Walmart distribution centers, or next to heating and plumbing offices, etc. These are not going to help Main Street America grow. They are still a net positive for the economy, since consumers will have more options, and successful breweries will employ more people, regardless of where they are located.

I know what you're saying, but what you're describing is not the case everywhere.

In western PA, from Pittsburgh up to Erie, craft breweries have often set up shop relatively cheaply in old buildings on the "Main Streets" of economically depressed towns and neighborhoods. Besides all the breweries that have helped to revitalize city neighborhoods, so many smaller towns have their own brewpubs helping to revitalize long dead business districts of places like Sharpsburg, Millvale, Homestead, Meadville, Titusville, Braddock (!), Springdale, the list goes on an on.

They are serious anchors of revitalization around here, bringing people in droves to sample something different (in a way no restaturant could) to neighborhoods and towns that have been stagnant to dying for 40 years.

Just one example of many throughout western PA... Sharpsburg... an old, urban former industrial town just across the river from Pittsburgh city proper. Rusty as they come, long forgotten, and rarely visited (since there was no good reason to) by Pittsburgers... it now has 2 acclaimed breweries that have opened within the past 2 years:

Dancing Gnome

Hitchhiker (in former Fort Pitt Brewery power plant building)

10 years ago, this wouldn't be fathomable. Now Sharpsburg is seeing startup tech/creative firms locating there, housing renovations, and property values appreciating considerably. Is this solely because of the breweries? No, but they are first-mover contributors to it... often belwethers of better things to come.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 9:57 PM
Never Dell

Some are factories in addition to restaurants. That can bring new money to the city. At least it can keep local money in town vs. sending it to conglomerates out of state.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
At least it can keep local money in town vs. sending it to conglomerates out of state.
that's why i drink local beer as often as humanly possible.

i probably spend ~$1,500/year on beer, why send all that money to AB inbev or molson-coors when i can put it straight into the pockets of the hard-working local guys at revolution brewing, pipeworks brewing, half acre brewing, etc.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Some are factories in addition to restaurants. That can bring new money to the city. At least it can keep local money in town vs. sending it to conglomerates out of state.
This, absolutely. We are actually just going back to how it used to be. Breweries were always local.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that's why i drink local beer as often as humanly possible.

i probably spend ~$1,500/year on beer, why send all that money to AB inbev or molson-coors when i can put it straight into the pockets of the hard-working local guys at revolution brewing, pipeworks brewing, half acre brewing, etc.
Exactly.

Your post sums up why theses places are seeing incredible success and why they are important -- guys spend a shitload of money on drinking beer.

Keep the money where you live... and if you continue to keep the money where you live, where you live will be a nicer place to live.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:22 PM
BANNED

I strongly recommend this place when it opens soon.

https://urbanrenewbrew.com/

Ravenswood, Chicago, Illinois 60640|

Coming Soon 2018
Ravenswood's newest Craft brewery

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I know what you're saying, but what you're describing is not the case everywhere.

In western PA, from Pittsburgh up to Erie, craft breweries have often set up shop relatively cheaply in old buildings on the "Main Streets" of economically depressed towns and neighborhoods. Besides all the breweries that have helped to revitalize city neighborhoods, so many smaller towns have their own brewpubs helping to revitalize long dead business districts of places like Sharpsburg, Millvale, Homestead, Meadville, Titusville, Braddock (!), Springdale, the list goes on an on.

They are serious anchors of revitalization around here, bringing people in droves to sample something different (in a way no restaturant could) to neighborhoods and towns that have been stagnant to dying for 40 years.

Just one example of many throughout western PA... Sharpsburg... an old, urban former industrial town just across the river from Pittsburgh city proper. Rusty as they come, long forgotten, and rarely visited (since there was no good reason to) by Pittsburgers... it now has 2 acclaimed breweries that have opened within the past 2 years:

Dancing Gnome

Hitchhiker (in former Fort Pitt Brewery power plant building)

10 years ago, this wouldn't be fathomable. Now Sharpsburg is seeing startup tech/creative firms locating there, housing renovations, and property values appreciating considerably. Is this solely because of the breweries? No, but they are first-mover contributors to it... often belwethers of better things to come.
Fair enough. Here in Delaware, quite a few breweries are in industrial parks. Bellefonte, Blue Earl, and Dominion are two that I can think of off the top of my head. Others are in bigger buildings than storefronts, having increased production. 3rd Wave is in an old grocery store, for instance. But our oldest craft breweries (Dogfish Head, 1995; Iron Hill, 1996) are on main streets in thriving towns!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:07 AM
TL;DR

The bulk of Chicago's craft beer industry is in the city itself. Suburban breweries do tend to be located in nondescript industrial parks, because the only buildings with character in the suburbs are located in bougie town centers controlled by pearl-clutching NIMBYs.

Even if villages welcomed breweries into their downtowns, though, most buildings there don't have the flexibility to house a brewing operation beyond the smallest brewpub, and the cost of adapting those historic buildings would likely exceed the budget of a fledgling brewery.

Whether by planning or happenstance, a lot of those "industrial park breweries" tend to be located near rail-trails, so it's a great opportunity to drink'n'ride. Also it's nice to see these breweries bringing life to such generic, soulless areas.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Fair enough. Here in Delaware, quite a few breweries are in industrial parks. Bellefonte, Blue Earl, and Dominion are two that I can think of off the top of my head. Others are in bigger buildings than storefronts, having increased production. 3rd Wave is in an old grocery store, for instance. But our oldest craft breweries (Dogfish Head, 1995; Iron Hill, 1996) are on main streets in thriving towns!
I don't know of any around here that are in industrial parks, but some probably do exist. There are so many opening in the Pittsburgh region right now that I can't keep track of them all... there has to be a saturation point pretty soon aroudn here. But many many be able to subsist as the "neighborhood brewery", without trying to gett big.

I know what you were getting at in your previous post, and I agree that small craft breweries are not going to be the miraculous saviors of "Main Street". I think they are a component right now (around here anyway) of revitalization, as younger-ish people are looking for greater authenticity and rediscovering urban neighborhoods/nearby small town business districts.

Dogfish and Iron Hill are two big success stories... they make some fine brews!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:37 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I strongly recommend this place when it opens soon.

https://urbanrenewbrew.com/

Ravenswood, Chicago, Illinois 60640|

Coming Soon 2018
Ravenswood's newest Craft brewery

Thanks for the plug, bnk! Seriously though, I'd say that Ravenswood Ave., Chicago's "Malt Row", is steadily adding to the manufacturing presence of both the specific neighborhood as well as surrounding neighborhoods. It's also adding to the overall economic vitality of what was once a fairly moribund, somewhat depressed part of the city which is now doing quite well, partly due to the draw of a solid number of breweries and associated businesses located in a concentrated area.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Thanks for the plug, bnk! Seriously though, I'd say that Ravenswood Ave., Chicago's "Malt Row", is steadily adding to the manufacturing presence of both the specific neighborhood as well as surrounding neighborhoods. It's also adding to the overall economic vitality of what was once a fairly moribund, somewhat depressed part of the city which is now doing quite well, partly due to the draw of a solid number of breweries and associated businesses located in a concentrated area.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Wait this is your Brewery? Will definitely be checking it out!

And I totally agree. Ravenswood, the old sleepy industrial street, is now a destination with great breweries and restaurants.

Took my Aunt and Uncle recently to Band of Bohemia and it blew their minds.

Last edited by Vlajos; Mar 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I don't know of any around here that are in industrial parks, but some probably do exist. There are so many opening in the Pittsburgh region right now that I can't keep track of them all... there has to be a saturation point pretty soon aroudn here. But many many be able to subsist as the "neighborhood brewery", without trying to gett big.
There certainly are some in nondescript locations. Couch isn't quite in an industrial park, but it's on a scuzzy autocentric corridor with nothing within walking distance. One of the city's oldest - East End Brewing Company - is in a nondescript industrial portion of Larimer. Though if/when the pedestrian bridge over the Busway from Bakery Square gets built, it will be a bit more walkable. When you get further out from the urban core, and look at the sites of breweries like Rivertowne, Helicon, Aurochs, etc they're generally not in walkable areas. The cute little gentrified suburban towns like Sewickley, Aspinwall, and Oakmont don't have any for example.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There certainly are some in nondescript locations. Couch isn't quite in an industrial park, but it's on a scuzzy autocentric corridor with nothing within walking distance. One of the city's oldest - East End Brewing Company - is in a nondescript industrial portion of Larimer. Though if/when the pedestrian bridge over the Busway from Bakery Square gets built, it will be a bit more walkable. When you get further out from the urban core, and look at the sites of breweries like Rivertowne, Helicon, Aurochs, etc they're generally not in walkable areas. The cute little gentrified suburban towns like Sewickley, Aspinwall, and Oakmont don't have any for example.
Right, I wasn't really considering those places to be industrial parks. I know some craft breweries have set up shop outside of cities where real estate is more expensive/less available in suburban-type light industrial/office parks. That's what's great about the Pittsburgh area... places like Millvale, Homestead, Sharpsburg, etc. are cheap enough to rent or even buy a building with significant space for brewing operations right in the heart of an old business district. Considering that, I'm not too surprised that wealthy places like Sewickley are devoid of small brewery. And I wouldn't put it past the fine citizens of Aspinwall to NIMBY the chances of one ever opening up there... which is funny because Aspinwall ain't all that by a long shot, but they certainly like to act like they are Sewickley.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:02 PM
arf

A lot of Regina's craft breweries are right downtown or in the warehouse area.

My favorites are:
District Brewing Company
Rebellion
Bushwakker

We have a huge amount of brew pubs and craft brewing for our population. Another great brewing story out of Saskatchewan is Original 16 where some of the employees (16) got together when their brewery was closing due to mergers and formed the Great Western Brewing company. I didn't like their products much to start, but the last few iterations have been very good and Original 16 Copper is a usual order for me in many places.

I usually buy District for home, but I do occassionally buy from other places I've lived. I've got a soft spot for Schlafly from St. Louis, but it has to be special ordered here so it's a bit pricey.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This, absolutely. We are actually just going back to how it used to be. Breweries were always local.
Same for coffee shops and other community "third places".

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:30 PM

I think a distinction needs to be made between breweries (essentially, a manufacturing facility) and brewpubs (essentially a restaurant/bar). Some breweries do have a public "tasting" room of sorts and those have more community engagement. Either way, beer is certainly one way to revive a local economy. In a nearby NJ community that was dry, the town changed a rule to permit a brewery with a tasting room and it seems to have really served as a shot in the arm to the town's ailing Main Street.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I think a distinction needs to be made between breweries (essentially, a manufacturing facility) and brewpubs (essentially a restaurant/bar). Some breweries do have a public "tasting" room of sorts and those have more community engagement. Either way, beer is certainly one way to revive a local economy. In a nearby NJ community that was dry, the town changed a rule to permit a brewery with a tasting room and it seems to have really served as a shot in the arm to the town's ailing Main Street.
True, but in Chicago, virtually every brewery has a tap room.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Same for coffee shops and other community "third places".
I totally agree. I never go to chain coffee shops. Way too many good local roasters here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions