HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Cool map. Is Brickburn where Edworthy park is now? What do the coloured routes mean? Major roads? Streetcars?
The area marked Brickburn is essentially where Sarcee Trail heads down the hill towards Bowness.

It looks like the red routes are primary highways and the orange ones are secondary highways.

Quote:
I find it interesting how even in 1926 Calgary was a very centralized city. All the major routes lead downtown, convergence of all the railways, the rivers, the irrigation Canal (just east of Inglewood)... The relief contours really give a sense of the bowl shape of the inner city too.
It's easy to see why the Calgary Tower was located where it was. 9th and Centre really was the centre of the City in so many way

Last edited by 5seconds; Jan 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting how even in 1926 Calgary was a very centralized city. All the major routes lead downtown, convergence of all the railways, the rivers, the irrigation Canal (just east of Inglewood)... The relief contours really give a sense of the bowl shape of the inner city too.
All major routes lead to the downtown now as well. Ask any CT rider .

I didn't realize the inner SW areas were so old.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 5:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Brickburn brick works (at Edworthy)

glenbow.org

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:27 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I find interesting the proximity of the tsuu tina reserve and the relationship it had with Calgary. Are there any other major cities in Canada with an adjacent reserve? I suddenly feel highly influenced by native culture just by living here.
Edmonton has the Enoch reserve immediately to it's west, and Montreal has Kanesatake jsut to it's west, which is where the Oka crisis was a few years ago.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Edmonton has the Enoch reserve immediately to it's west, and Montreal has Kanesatake just to its west, which is where the Oka crisis was a few years ago.
Do these border up right against the city, and prevent growth in that direction?

I honestly don't know, and I've spent extensive time in both. Just never thought to look I guess.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:46 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Do these border up right against the city, and prevent growth in that direction?

I honestly don't know, and I've spent extensive time in both. Just never thought to look I guess.
Not sure if the Edmonton really compares. The Calgary one appears to be about 10 kms n/s and about 30 kms e/w.

The Edmonton one appears to be maybe 6.5 kms n/s but only 8kms e/w, meaning in theory Edmonto could envelope it easier.

Here's a crappy method of showing where it is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...p=4&sz=12&z=11

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:26 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Not sure if the Edmonton really compares. The Calgary one appears to be about 10 kms n/s and about 30 kms e/w.

The Edmonton one appears to be maybe 6.5 kms n/s but only 8kms e/w, meaning in theory Edmonto could envelope it easier.

Here's a crappy method of showing where it is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...p=4&sz=12&z=11
The Tsuu T'ina is also closer to the Calgary CBD (~9km) than the Enoch is to the Edmonton CBD (~15km). Also with Calgary being a very centrally concentrated uni-city vs Edmonton with it's exburbs.

Also with the development of Lakeview starting as early (1962) as it did the government didn't plan soon enough for the ring road through that area, as well I would imagine that the use of the Tsuu T'ina as a military training ground forged a different relationship with Calgary than the Enoch Cree did with Edmonton.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Also with the development of Lakeview starting as early (1962) as it did the government didn't plan soon enough for the ring road through that area...
Lakeview started construction in 1960 (I believe, though could be wrong) and the furthest west side was not completed until 1968. Ring road planning began as early as 1953 (solid plans were approved in 1959), so lack of planning was not an issue. The Harvey Barracks and the north section of the Weaselhead was annexed to the city in 1956, and the road was planned through that area before Lakeview was started. It wasn't that Lakeview was built and compromised future plans, it was that Lakeview was built and the original plans changed due to unforseen circumstances.

It was the change in ownership of the Harvey Barracks lands in the 1990s that really meant that the early plans were no longer viable.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:35 PM
Here and There

A lot of areas in Alberta had really good relationships with the native people. For instance, Fort Mcleod had a very strong RCMP (NWMP) - Native partnership. They were set to come in an control the natives....but instead formed strong bonds with them and together helped overcome obstacles. I wonder if CAlgary had a similar strong relationship at some point with tsuu tina and the people? Was this the Sarcee as shown on the map?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:56 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Lakeview started construction in 1960 (I believe, though could be wrong) and the furthest west side was not completed until 1968. Ring road planning began as early as 1953 (solid plans were approved in 1959), so lack of planning was not an issue. The Harvey Barracks and the north section of the Weaselhead was annexed to the city in 1956, and the road was planned through that area before Lakeview was started. It wasn't that Lakeview was built and compromised future plans, it was that Lakeview was built and the original plans changed due to unforseen circumstances.

It was the change in ownership of the Harvey Barracks lands in the 1990s that really meant that the early plans were no longer viable.
The 1962 came from Wikipedia (so it's reliability is suspect)

I wondered how the reverting of the military lands effected the plans

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The 1962 came from Wikipedia (so it's reliability is suspect)

I wondered how the reverting of the military lands effected the plans
Yea, I am trying to get confirmation about Lakeview, it might be 1962. I thought I saw records of some houses built in 1960, but who knows.

Until the land reverted, the City had a city-only route as a backup in case negotiations with the Tsuu T'ina did not work out. It entered the Harvey Barracks directly south of Sarcee Trail, cut to the east and crossed the Weaselhead and Elbow river, and then connected to 37th street at 90th avenue. Though opposition to running the road through the Weaselhead and motions by the City Council effectively killed this route at the time, it was the Harvey Barracks land reversion that eliminated all of the original plans for the road without need for Tsuu T'ina land.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I wonder if CAlgary had a similar strong relationship at some point with tsuu tina and the people? Was this the Sarcee as shown on the map?
Yes, 'Sarcee' is an old name for the Tsuu T'ina. I have read conflicting sources for the Sarcee name; some say it's from a Blackfoot word meaning "stubborn", "robust", or "hard language" (as in difficult to understand, since Tsuu T'ina and Blackfoot are from different language families). Others say it's from the French for 'sorcerer' (sorcier; 'sor-see-ay').

"Camp Sarcee" was the military training ground established in the First World War that eventually became Harvie Barracks.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 8:24 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Hey - did you create that as a layer on top of Google Earth, so you can transition between then and now? Not sure how to show this effect in a static picture, but it would be uber cool.
Sorry I missed your question until now. Yes, it is on top of Google Earth, so I can turn off the layer and see what is there now. Google Earth allows me to line up the images properly, to a point - hills and elevation changes result in distortion that I can't correct for between images. I can't post a KLM file at this point - these really were not done with one group of images - I combined different sources to get a best fit, tweaking which image was on top of which to make it look better.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 11:03 PM
Laura Palmer

I found this beauty today from 1910!

I didn't know there was a planned neighbourhood called "The Bronx" just east of Shouldice park. Also, "Kitsilano" was planned to go where Vista Heights is today.

http://cdm16114.contentdm.oclc.org/c...id/1082/rec/12

It's too bad cities in North American stopped using a grid street network after WWII.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:35 AM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I found this beauty today from 1910!

I didn't know there was a planned neighbourhood called "The Bronx" just east of Shouldice park. Also, "Kitsilano" was planned to go where Vista Heights is today.

http://cdm16114.contentdm.oclc.org/c...id/1082/rec/12

It's too bad cities in North American stopped using a grid street network after WWII.
A hearty Thanks. Its my new lock screen.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I always suspected that the Bonnybrook industrial area, "Bonnybrook Park" on that map, was meant to be residential. There's probably 10 or so tiny houses in the current industrial park, the blocks are small, and somewhere on the Glenbow site I saw it referenced as "Bonnybrook Park Estates"

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 2:12 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Not exactly a map, but this model was made in 1965 by the Parks Department so that it could be used to explain and sell the idea of a park system around the Glenmore Reservoir.

Not only did it show the North and South Glenmore Parks, it called for a golf course where Heritage Park is now, a winter garden, a museum, a swimming lagoon and beach, a solarium and aquarium and more.
And by the looks of it, a freeway surrounding the entire reservoir!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
'Think of the possibilities for a great tourist attraction this would provide for the Indians' said the Mayor. 'They could line the road, as it crosses their territory, with tepees and provide a wonderful sight.'"
Hahahaha! Classic quote.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:51 PM
MisterNostalgia

WWII Airstrip

[QUOTE=Ferreth;5444012]Thanks for stitching that KW. I'd never gotten around to it, but I had a sneaking suspicion that someone would be up to it here.

I kept this map as this reminds me of the City I knew as a kid. Look at the NE Properties - I remember going up 52nd St. reading the sign warning you that the whole area was under construction, so beware! It really was a massive construction area; seemed to be building going on everywhere.

Other differences of note:
- Blackfoot still turned into Inglewood at 17A St. - you can still see some of the old alignment on Google Earth, some of it has had new housing built.
- Highway 8 is it's old designation still - it was the road that went to Bowness, then across the Bow River and up to Highway 1A. There's a bit of trivia for you old timers!
- The strange bit SW of Barlow and 114th is a former WWII airstrip - it was used by the cops as a high speed driver training area. I know this as I was talking to another old timer who said they used to come over the the Westco Fertilizer plant NE of there and have lunch in their cafeteria. Btway, that building is being torn down this week - I'll post some photos of that.

I'm a newcomer to the site and the forum, so I'm reading old posts. The airstrip you refer to was used by the Commonwealth Air Training Plan to train pilots for the war. After the war, not sure when, one of the barracks was moved to Ogden Road at 72nd Avenue and became the Ogden Legion. The airstrip became Race City speedway. A similar airstrip was near DeWinton east of Highway 2 several miles.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 9:00 PM
MisterNostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I remember one Drive-in at what is now Point McKay.

Another Drive-in on 17th Ave & 45 St SW, and one more at Memorial & Barlow.

The Sunset was closest to our house, so we'd be there several times in the summer. The station wagon was pulled in back-first so the rear was aimed at the screen. We could let the tailgate down & lay out the sleeping bags. Sometimes it was hot enough in the summer the sleeping bags were put on the roof so we could watch from the 'upper deck'.

Some long weekends the drive-ins would have 'dusk to dawn' programs, but I don't think us kids made it through the first film before zonking out after the sugar rush & crash.

Downloading something from Netflix & watching on a projection screen just ain't the same.
I'm a latecomer to the forum so maybe someone has already replied. Drive-in at 17th Avenue was called the 17th Avenue Drive-in. At point McKay, it was Cinema Park. On Barlow it was called the Corral ( and was across the road from the Firestone Tire plant). The one on Anderson Road and Macleod was the Stampede. There was also the Lakeshore on the east side of Chestermere Lake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos