HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 7:43 AM

too much light?

while i was at powells bookstore last night, i noticed the glare from all the lighted trees outside. i love lights but i've noticed all throughout the pearl that the combo of the street lights and the overly bright tree lights make it seem like you're walking across a football stadium. the tree lights are on all year long which would be fine but in an already well lit area it just seems like light pollution. in low lit areas like nw 23rd ave, the lights are not so overwhelming and actually quite lovely but on small streets like 11th and nw couch the effect can be glaring. perhaps the types of bulbs used are far too bright? either way, i feel that in some situations there is too much of a good thing and all this excess light is unnessary. anyone agree or think i've lost my mind?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 8:23 AM

That's light pollution. One of the tradeoffs of urbanization and suburbanization that leads residents of those locales further and further away from a critically important consciousness and enjoyment of the greater natural world around them. One of the best things about the power going out the other night is that, being a clear night, you could see the stars in high relief with the naked eye. A little like being out in the wilderness as it is before civilization relentlessly consumes it with sprawl, roads, highways, and pollution.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 8:47 AM

In places like jamison square its cool to have all of the lights up, but i agree they don't need to be everywhere at least not as bright as the ones as are out. Its especially bright around 11th and couch intersection. But hey, i won't complain too much--its better than having it dark and shadowy. Maybe just tone it down a little bit with softer lights.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 4:35 PM

or different colors, what is the deal with everything in this city having to be in white...no race pun intended...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:20 PM

Oh, he means too much light, not too much Light...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smoke View Post
Oh, he means too much light, not too much Light...
exactly!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 12:35 AM

Hail, Brother.

I noticed the columns flanking the SkyscraperPage logo.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 1:49 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

If they use LED's they will only use 1/20th the power normally done. I haven't checked if they do or not, but it would seem to be a good idea.

Also, for many people, it's hard to have a street too well lit. There are always those dark nooks that make good ambushing spots to hide in!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues