HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 4:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Canada in general doesn't have a very dynamic economy. Most of the largest companies are oligopolies and many have been around for 100 years. Many are heavily politically connected and/or regulated. It's probably easier to get rich through real estate or maybe natural resources than by trying to grow a large business in Canada.

The regions and provinces in Canada in some ways are little worlds unto themselves. While the migration from Toronto or Montreal to Vancouver is relatively low, Vancouver's also relatively independent compared to the third city of a lot of other countries. Most provinces are close to being city-states.

And as has been stated before, the Los Angeles of Canada is... Los Angeles. If you really want to focus on your career the USA is an option. Seattle is a couple hours away from Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 11:22 AM
in circulo imperium

The great thing is that Vancouver has this worldwide projection being a third city in a country. Few countries reach this level with 3 cities. E.g. Australia doesn't have such a third city, although Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth and Adelaide strive to be. These cities lack more presence as cosmopolitan centers and attracting media attention. Vancouver, for example, ranks well on several aspects and is one of the top of mind cities for the rest of the planet's population. The 4 Aussie cities, although full of international cultural and sporting events, do not reach the same projection and as said there is a race between Melbourne and Sydney to reach the number one position as main city or even to put both tied in this position.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 12:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Good point about Australia vs Canada though Brisbane will host the summer Olympics in 2032 so its global prominence will soar.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 12:25 PM
in circulo imperium

Brisbane has the potential to consolidate itself with the status that Vancouver has today, but I think that only important sporting events are a way to help with the hard work that is being done until reaching this stage.

I think that if Brisbane and Gold Coast were one single city, they would possibly equal MEL and SYD in prominence.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 1:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio JF View Post
Brisbane has the potential to consolidate itself with the status that Vancouver has today, but I think that only important sporting events are a way to help with the hard work that is being done until reaching this stage.

I think that if Brisbane and Gold Coast were one single city, they would possibly equal MEL and SYD in prominence.
At the very least I think that the Olympics will help propel Brisbane solidly ahead of Perth as Australia's uncontested third city in most people's minds. (Right now there is probably a bit of a debate as to which one is third.)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 1:10 PM
in circulo imperium

As long as they agree that Perth or Brisbane doesn't have the projection of Vancouver yet, I believe that yes, the Aussies are eyeing this and really want to have another jewel shining in the Pacific (Or their 1st in the Indian in the case of Perth).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 6:53 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio JF View Post
The great thing is that Vancouver has this worldwide projection being a third city in a country. Few countries reach this level with 3 cities.
One area where Vancouver really excels is as a centre of TV and film production. So many shows and movies are filmed here. I think that helps boost the city's image internationally as almost every longtime American actor has worked on something in Vancouver. Everyone in Hollywood/LA knows Vancouver.

Remember the original X-Files? In the 90s that was a huge American TV show that was almost exclusively filmed in greater Vancouver despite being set in Washington DC and Virginia (where FBI is located).

Also Vancouver is a centre for video game development.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Well that just tax breaks. Does vancouver ever feature as vancouver? Or is it america somewhere?

I think stargate was all over canada. So many planets had a nice Canadian forest and clearing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:14 PM
Great White Norf

You could argue originally it was tax breaks. Now it's been so long that it's a total market where the staff is located to get the job done.

Film and TV producers know Vancouver TV and film staff are available and reliable, like NY, LA, or Toronto in all aspects of production and sound, video, graphics editing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's definitely a great boon for the economy but not sure it makes a big impact on Vancouver's global visibility. Aside from true movie buffs, most people won't know that Vancouver stood in for City X, any more than I'd know that Macao stood in for Hong Kong or Budapest for Moscow in some Jason Bourne movie.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:35 PM

Yeah, not clear why Vancouver's film industry means much for global awareness. It's used bc Canada is much cheaper for filming, and Vancouver is the only sizable West Coast Canadian city. The productions aren't set as Vancouver, they're generally set as "generic American locale".

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's definitely a great boon for the economy but not sure it makes a big impact on Vancouver's global visibility. Aside from true movie buffs, most people won't know that Vancouver stood in for City X, any more than I'd know that Macao stood in for Hong Kong or Budapest for Moscow in some Jason Bourne movie.
probably true for most people, but i find that stuff instantly recognizable and jarring.

this one is probably the most infamous --

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 8:04 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, not clear why Vancouver's film industry means much for global awareness. It's used bc Canada is much cheaper for filming, and Vancouver is the only sizable West Coast Canadian city. The productions aren't set as Vancouver, they're generally set as "generic American locale".
My point was everyone in film and TV knows Vancouver as a place to do business. It's built up a reputation over the last 30+ years. Word of mouth spreads across the globe.

Unlike a lot of places in North America, it's not just film on location and leave. Every part of the process (including all post production services) can be done in Vancouver if needed. The talent pool (for you name it) is here.

https://vancouvereconomic.com/film-in-vancouver/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 8:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
My point was everyone in film and TV knows Vancouver as a place to do business. It's built up a reputation over the last 30+ years. Word of mouth spreads across the globe.

Unlike a lot of places in North America, it's not just film on location and leave. Every part of the process (including all post production services) can be done in Vancouver if needed. The talent pool (for you name it) is here.

https://vancouvereconomic.com/film-in-vancouver/

Of course. Though while I suppose the entertainment industry is a bit more on the radar of some of us average people, being known as a reliable service provider and location in the industry doesn't lead to that much global renown.

I am sure for example that in the global mining sector people know Timmins, Sudbury, Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or as well... (And Broken Hill and Mount Isa in Australia.)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
80ish% of Canadians live near the US border not the Great Lakes.
That's what it I was thinking of. My mistake.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The reasons are well known, Canada does not have enough population for a real megacity, and Vancouver doesn't have enough flat land to expand on without developing the Valley, some of the best agricultural land in Canada. The Fraser Valley, outlined in red on this map is about 70 miles/112 km from the east to the west end of Vancouver, there is nothing but mountains to the north (and farther east), ocean to the west, and the US border to the south. In spite of this, the city metro will realistically still increase probably to 5 mil in the not so distant future.

Having the mountainous scenery and coastal areas of BC for outdoor adventure, and the mildest winter climate of any major city in Canada certainly helps create demand to live here. Canada's political and economic stability encourage immigration and investment, but it would take much more to be anywhere near a mega city.

Here's a new song, by Australian singer Lach Marshall, entitled Vancouver.

Lach Marshall - Vancouver
Video Link

Last edited by Architype; Aug 23, 2023 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Kind of on topic:

What's the largest economy/country without a true megacity?
Just my guess:

In terms of population: Ethiopia
In terms of economy: Germany
In terms of area: Kazakhstan

Quote:
What's the smallest country/economy with one?
Again, just a guess:

In terms of population: Peru
In terms of economy: DR Congo
In terms of area: Republic of Korea

Last edited by SFBruin; Aug 23, 2023 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:34 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The reasons are well known, Canada does not have enough population for a real megacity, and Vancouver doesn't have enough flat land to expand on without developing the Valley, some of the best agricultural land in Canada. The Fraser Valley, outlined in red on this map is about 70 miles/112 km from the east to the west end of Vancouver), there is nothing but mountains to the north (and farther east), ocean to the west, and the US border to the south. In spite of this, the city metro will realistically still increase probably to 5 mil in the not so distant future.

Having the mountainous scenery and coastal areas of BC for outdoor adventure, and the mildest winter climate of any major city in Canada certainly helps create demand to live here. Canada's political and economic stability encourage immigration and investment, but it would take much more to be anywhere near a mega city.

^ its just all going to merge into seattle tacoma and portland eventually. it almost is already. that is completely inevitable. the sprawl.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ its just all going to merge into seattle tacoma and portland eventually. it almost is already. that is completely inevitable. the sprawl.
Seattle is a long way away from Vancouver, about 120 miles between downtowns, 2.5 hours driving, and Portland is over 5 hours away, but if the US border were farther south we could have a much larger city IMO. We should buy Point Roberts.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 6:22 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Simon Fraser University certainly got a lot of exposure with virtually every sci-fi show filmed there in the 90's and 2000's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions