HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 4:47 PM

Burnside Bridge Earthquake Readiness Project

Quote:
Multnomah County's 20-year bridge plan emphasizes earthquake endurance

A tug and barge, bringing arch pieces for the Sellwood Bridge from Thompson Metal Fab in Vancouver to the bridge construction site on the Willamette River, pass under the Burnside Bridge (the Steel Bridge is visible in the background) on Dec. 15, 2014. County leaders want to spend $496 million to either replace or significantly upgrade the Burnside Bridge for emergency crews to safely cross the Willamette River after a major earthquake. Randy L. Rasmussen/The Oregonian

By Tony Hernandez | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Multnomah County wants to spend about a half-billion dollars to prepare the Burnside Bridge for emergency crews to safely cross the Willamette River after a major earthquake.

An estimated $496 million project to either replace or significantly upgrade the 89-year-old span can be found in a 20-year improvement plan for the county's six bridges.

Chairwoman Deborah Kafoury offered the proposal Thursday. The plan calls for 52 other projects with an estimated $1.3 billion total price tag. Approximately 200,000 people use the county's six bridges on a daily basis, according to the plan.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 7:04 PM

Seems like this would be the perfect time to address West Burnside and turn it into a one way couplet with Couch extending from the East Side over to the West side of the river. Especially if the bridge is replaced, the alignment could be shifted to allow the existing bridge to be used during construction. Shift it somewhat north and transition Couch/Burnside on each side onto the bridge and make them a couplet on both sides.

Or go crazy and build a bridge a city block wide with roads at the boundaries and a new bridge park that connects the West and Eastside waterfront parks with a greenspace bridge across the river. Just have to get rid of that pesky road on the eastside that is in the way.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:22 PM

I think the main thing about the Burnside bridge worth keeping are the cool castle-like towers. I'd think those could be removed and stored somewhere for re-attachment to a replacement bridge.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Seems like this would be the perfect time to address West Burnside and turn it into a one way couplet with Couch extending from the East Side over to the West side of the river. Especially if the bridge is replaced, the alignment could be shifted to allow the existing bridge to be used during construction. Shift it somewhat north and transition Couch/Burnside on each side onto the bridge and make them a couplet on both sides.

Or go crazy and build a bridge a city block wide with roads at the boundaries and a new bridge park that connects the West and Eastside waterfront parks with a greenspace bridge across the river. Just have to get rid of that pesky road on the eastside that is in the way.
East Side Waterfront! Removal of Marquam Bridge, I-5 and ramps to Morrison. New Burnside Bridge can have an onramp connection and signal to stop cross-traffic traffic for bikes/peds. Protected bike lane on bridge and... what a beautiful new park we have.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:41 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

How is it possible to have no mention of the Marquam bridge in that report? Did I miss it? I did a search but didn't find it in there. Is the plan to have it collapse so we can then start from scratch and get something less god awful?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post

That's an interesting idea, but extending Couch has problems on both sides. One of the West side the Skidmore / Old Town Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It's hard to imagine a design that would have an acceptable level of impact. On the east the development at the Bridgehead effectively now precludes extending Couch. The main resident entrance into Block 67 is planned to be onto the Couch Pedestrian Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
How is it possible to have no mention of the Marquam bridge in that report? Did I miss it? I did a search but didn't find it in there. Is the plan to have it collapse so we can then start from scratch and get something less god awful?
ODOT owns and maintains the Marquam Bridge. It's not Multnomah County's responsibility.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Condition of the Marquam as reported by Transportation for America.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 10:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
ODOT owns and maintains the Marquam Bridge. It's not Multnomah County's responsibility.
Gotcha. That explains it (among other things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Condition of the Marquam as reported by Transportation for America.
I find that superstructure to be anything but super.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
I think the main thing about the Burnside bridge worth keeping are the cool castle-like towers. I'd think those could be removed and stored somewhere for re-attachment to a replacement bridge.
This would be my biggest concern, the bridge itself isn't anything special structurally, but the towers on the bridge are iconic and should always be a part of the design of the bridge.

Quote:
I find that superstructure to be anything but super.
Funny thing, I actually don't mind the Marquam Bridge, it is a great example of an undertruss bridge. It isn't a spectacular design, but I don't mind it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Multnomah County takes first step in Burnside Bridge retrofit or replacement

An earthquake similar to Japan's 2011 upheaval could shut down for months almost 40 car lanes that cross downtown Portland bridges, a Multnomah County engineer said Thursday.

That includes the Fremont, Hawthorne, Burnside, Morrison, Steel, Broadway and Marquam bridges, County Engineer and Transportation Division Director Ian Cannon said. In February, the county published a 20-year plan calling for a $1.3 billion in spending, much of it to prepare bridges it owns for the big one.

County commissioners started Thursday by approving $3 million for a study to figure out what to do with the Burnside Bridge that was identified as the priority. Commissioners also approved the first of two readings that sets up a tobacco licensing program for retailers.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:10 PM

Burnside Bridge Earthquake Simulation Animation

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:28 PM
Semi-Lurker

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:10 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Yikes.

Don't watch that video before bedtime.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 5:03 AM
A before E

My reaction was, yep, that is pretty much what I already knew. I am hoping we can secure funding for a new Burnside Bridge soon for this very reason.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Bracing ourselves

From bridges to buildings, Portland needs more investments and incentives. What if the Burnside Bridge went down?

Two years ago, the Pacific Northwest awakened to the fact that the largest earthquake in American history is destined to shake us to our foundations — and then some.

Scientists have known a devastating Cascadia subduction zone quake was coming, but a Pulitzer Prize-winning 2016 New Yorker article by Kathryn Schulz was the first time many realized the magnitude of it all. That first night after reading the report I could barely sleep.

In case we'd forgotten the threat, this summer brought another scare, in the form of a simulation video released by Multnomah County demonstrating how the Burnside Bridge, perhaps the most vital arterial connector in the city, would be the first Portland span to go in a major quake.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 5:39 AM

Found this presentation given a few months ago. It looks like options of preserving the bridge or a seismic retrofit are being ruled out, with only a complete rebuild or hybrid (rebuild of major portions of bridge and approaches) likely to move forward.

Slide 42 shows some options for a rebuild on the current alignment, or alignments to the north and south. It's hard to imagine either of those moving forward given the impacts they'd have at the approaches.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 5:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Found this presentation given a few months ago. It looks like options of preserving the bridge or a seismic retrofit are being ruled out, with only a complete rebuild or hybrid (rebuild of major portions of bridge and approaches) likely to move forward.

Slide 42 shows some options for a rebuild on the current alignment, or alignments to the north and south. It's hard to imagine either of those moving forward given the impacts they'd have at the approaches.
I feel like the north and south options were those after thoughts where someone was like "we only have the rebuild in the current location, quick, someone draw some lines on the map to make it look like we thought about alternatives."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I feel like the north and south options were those after thoughts where someone was like "we only have the rebuild in the current location, quick, someone draw some lines on the map to make it look like we thought about alternatives."
those other alts would conceivably allow the current bridge to stay open for traffic for much of the construction phase. similar to when they set up the old Sellwood bridge off to the side during construction. it's not a small consideration.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:31 AM

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loca.../283-528926339

Quote:

Burnside Bridge will either get retrofitted or replaced for impending earthquake
The Burnside Bridge is 92 years old and would suffer extensive damage in a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake.
Author: Sara Roth
Published: 1:32 PM PDT March 15, 2018
Updated: 6:10 PM PDT March 15, 2018
kgw.com

PORTLAND, Ore. – On the same day that a new study found a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake could displace 85,000 Portland metro residents and injure 27,000 people, Multnomah County announced it is one step closer to figuring out how to prepare the Burnside Bridge for an earthquake.

In the fall of 2016, Multnomah County started a process to figure out what to do about the Burnside Bridge, which serves as a critical lifeline between Portland’s east and west sides.

The Burnside Bridge is 92 years old and would suffer extensive damage in a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake.

There is a 40 percent chance of a Cascadia quake in the next 50 years, Oregon State University found.

On Thursday, Multnomah County released a digital presentation outlining its progress on the bridge project.

So far, the project ruled out three of five bridge replacement options. The bridge will not be left as-is, and the county won’t fix a different bridge instead of the Burnside Bridge. The county will also not fund a full retrofit, since it would greatly impact Interstate 5 during construction.

The county decided to move forward with two options: The bridge will either be fully replaced, or mostly retrofitted and sections replaced over I-5 and the Union Pacific rail line so the freeway isn’t as disrupted.
(continues)...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure