HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
July 3

Man, look at how much nightlife Circa 922 is causing, it's a shame they are building such a street-facing mid-rise next door. It's really ruining the positive effect all these ground level prisons have been having on the area!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:00 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
900 W Washington is looking great so far. Their base may be opaque glass, but it’s much better than the podium across the way at 922.

Illume is another winner, imo. Interesting design, materials look good, and it fits in well with the neighborhood.

I could be mistaken, but it looks like the Hoxton has some mechanical room on the east side of the roof. Would that be the prime city view for a rooftop bar? Seems odd. Maybe it’s a temporary room for the skip?
I gotta disagree with 900 W. Washington. It's just way too dark for me. It's like a black hole. It just seems dead inside imo.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:08 PM

56 W Huron and Renelle both turning out V Slick, don't know where the haters are coming from on these projects. Again, Chicago makes the best boxes. The squarer the better.

Morris Adjmi has shown he understands this as both his Van Bueren design and Hoxton design are nice and square. His design for the Peoria street tower is even ditching the rectangular floor plan in favor of a perfectly square shaft. We don't need silly gimmicks on our buildings like having two elevations longer than the others. Gr333n is even shooting for the "perfect cube" design. Someday a true master will come along and build a giant cube that is perfectly equal on all sides with perfectly flat butt joined glass. That is the ultimate design.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:57 PM
tilted & shifted

444 North Dearborn

Alderman Reilly invites you to join him and the River North Residents Association at an informational presentation regarding a development proposal for the site located at 45-75 W. Illinois St., 430-450 N. Dearborn St., 46-76 W. Hubbard St., 431-451 N. Clark St., Chicago, Illinois.

Representatives of the EC 42 Developer LLC ("Applicant") development team will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal. Alderman Reilly will be present at this meeting to monitor the discussion and record your feedback.

The Applicant has submitted a proposal to construct a new firehouse for City of Chicago Engine Co. 42 with the subsequent demolition of the existing firehouse and the construction of a new commercial building at the southwest corner of North Dearborn Street and West Illinois Street.

WHAT: New Firehouse and Commercial Building at
444 North Dearborn Street

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and the
River North Residents Association

WHEN: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.

WHERE: Albert Theatre, inside Goodman Theatre
170 N. Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Quick reply to this message

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Alderman Reilly invites you to join him and the River North Residents Association at an informational presentation regarding a development proposal for the site located at 45-75 W. Illinois St., 430-450 N. Dearborn St., 46-76 W. Hubbard St., 431-451 N. Clark St., Chicago, Illinois.

Representatives of the EC 42 Developer LLC ("Applicant") development team will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal. Alderman Reilly will be present at this meeting to monitor the discussion and record your feedback.

The Applicant has submitted a proposal to construct a new firehouse for City of Chicago Engine Co. 42 with the subsequent demolition of the existing firehouse and the construction of a new commercial building at the southwest corner of North Dearborn Street and West Illinois Street.

WHAT: New Firehouse and Commercial Building at
444 North Dearborn Street

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and the
River North Residents Association

WHEN: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.

WHERE: Albert Theatre, inside Goodman Theatre
170 N. Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Quick reply to this message
Firehouse in question:

And the highrise it's attached to:

Both images from Crubed
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/4/28...ixed-use-tower

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:45 PM
The City

Regarding the Fire station proposal, I'm pretty much fine with the proposal as is. I'm hoping something along these lines is still planned

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Whatever gets you hot man.

The glass on 56 W does look pretty excellent...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 10:18 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Regarding the Fire station proposal, I'm pretty much fine with the proposal as is. I'm hoping something along these lines is still planned
Same here, so long as the understanding is that the historic low rise buildings on Clark will remain as is (and the old Courthouse as well, which is landmarked).

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Same here, so long as the understanding is that the historic low rise buildings on Clark will remain as is (and the old Courthouse as well, which is landmarked).
My guess is the historic buildings on Clark will be preserved and their air rights used to boost the FAR of the new tower. The old courthouse is being renovated and you mentioned a landmark. So that’s staying.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 5:33 PM

As much as I like the old concrete firehouse, I'm excited to see that parcel go vertical. Are there many NIMBYs nearby? I feel like most of the immediate neighbors are commercial or hotels.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:17 PM

444 North Dearborn

455’

DLR Group designing firehouse

Goettsch designing the ‘tower’.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jul 18, 2018 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
I gotta disagree with 900 W. Washington. It's just way too dark for me. It's like a black hole. It just seems dead inside imo.
I never heard anybody complain that Sears or Hancock was too dark. I personally like it. It should look really nice once its occupied with random shade patterns

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:48 AM

More black buildings! In fact, I'll take another black supertall in the middle of the skyline, please!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:57 AM

Anyone go to the meeting for the new office proposal above the fire station at 444 North Dearborn?

Per my community email, "Representatives of the EC 42 Developer LLC ("Applicant") development team will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal. Alderman Reilly will be present at this meeting to monitor the discussion and record your feedback."

Hopefully it doesn't block too much of my view, but density down the street is almost always welcomed.

EDIT: I do not think this is the right thread, my apologies (cannot delete / move?)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
444 North Dearborn

455’

DLR Group designing firehouse

Goettsch designing the ‘tower’.

Here are a few extra details and pics from tonight’s community meeting:

Firehouse
—————-
- Existing firehouse remains operational while new is built, then torn down and replaced by office building
- Architects - DLR Group (fire experience, incl engine 121, 29, 16, plus prototype station for future)
- Station is 3 floors; living space on 2nd, fire prevention bureau on 3rd
Current station is 50+ years old, poor emissions, poor access for women
Same number

Office Building
——————
- Architects - Goettsch
- 29 floors with 25’ utility floor on top; lend lease is the contractor
- All glass at street level, lobby and a bit of retail off of Dearborn, 3rd party fitnes center on south side
- Lower level parking for 50 cars, for fire dept and office tenant; no public parking
- Unitized curtain wall, aluminum profiles, transparent lobby
- LEED (level not specified)
- 4.8 million in tax revenue starting in 2022
- 40 month construction schedule. 2nd phase not built on spec, will be financed once pre leased
- 15 mos for phase 1
- 25 mos for phase 2

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupo View Post
- 40 month construction schedule. 2nd phase not built on spec, will be financed once pre leased
- 15 mos for phase 1
- 25 mos for phase 2
Wow, One Chicago Square will have been finished by then

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:31 AM

Groundbreaking?

Are they building the fire station on the lot next to the existing one, then demoing old one and then building the tower over the new fire station and on the previous station's site? Firestation is phase 1 tower phase 2? Sorry just trying to make sense of things

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Groundbreaking?

Are they building the fire station on the lot next to the existing one, then demoing old one and then building the tower over the new fire station and on the previous station's site? Firestation is phase 1 tower phase 2? Sorry just trying to make sense of things
Yes, sorry for the rush job on the notes. Wanted to get them out while I could. Firehouse is phase 1. They’ll build it first, cutover operations from new to old, demo the old, then build the office tower in phase 2. So no impact to critical services at the firehouse.

Edit: no date provided for groundbreaking, but said “target completion” was 2022.

Also realized I didn’t finish my “same number” thought under the firehouse header. That was intended to say that the new station will house the same number of emergency vehicles as the existing station.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:59 AM

Decent looking glass box. Surprised there are trees on the top floor. Great to hear there will be some retail on Dearborn!

Unfortunately this will block my sliver of the Sears Tower ugh, but glad it will take a while... assuming they don't take up the Dearborn bike lane!

Side question--what does poor access for women mean? Are there like doors pregnant woman cannot fit through or something?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post

Side question--what does poor access for women mean? Are there like doors pregnant woman cannot fit through or something?

The CFD representative mentioned in passing that lack of equal facilities/access for women (presumably meaning restrooms?) was one of the problems with the existing/legacy facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations