HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:00 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:11 PM
DENNAB

if it ended up that there were no height reduction I think the new facade is starting to grow on me...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:26 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

The new renders seem to be a hybrid mix between the Times Tower here in NY and the Comcast Center in Philly. I don't mind the modifications if its meant to reduce costs as long as its height isn't chopped off.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:59 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
The new renders seem to be a hybrid mix between the Times Tower here in NY and the Comcast Center in Philly. I don't mind the modifications if its meant to reduce costs as long as its height isn't chopped off.
Yea part of me feels / hopes that the cut of costs for the bracing would be enough to not have to chop 100 feet off, it's hardly taller than tower 4 now, which looks beyond awful... sorry but it does.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 9:00 PM
BANNED

Any 1,000 foot+ tower like this would be wildly embraced in any city on Earth.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 9:04 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Any 1,000 foot+ tower like this would be wildly embraced in any city on Earth.
If it weren't replacing the original WTC sure ... If tower 4 were well shorter (not saying that should happen) it would look less stupid, they are so obsessed with the spiral effect yet now towers 1 and 2 are (kind of) close and height and tower 3 and 4 are about the same height, the porportions just look awful

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 9:14 PM
BANNED

The WTC was class-B space, and so is this.

This will never be the type of space that brings in $150/sf rents that are had in the Plaza District.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The WTC was class-B space, and so is this.

This will never be the type of space that brings in $150/sf rents that are had in the Plaza District.
I thought the New WTC was Class A.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:21 PM

Me too. Hmmmm.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
BANNED

The new one is, but it does not pretend to compete in the league of office space in midtown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:42 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I would say exactly the opposite. A building that is less distinctive and less original would be more difficult to market based on image alone. Detail isn't distraction. I don't look at Woolworth or Seagram and think: "If only those subtle details weren't there, I would appreciate this tower so much more."

Tower 3 was the the only tower of the new four that I felt hand any significant separation from the others and its unfortunate to lose it. It now fits exactly in the mold of towers 1 and 2, plain, flat glass with minimal metal angular accents.
What I said is not to say I disliked the details; they are exactly what attracted me to this building to begin with. You’re not wrong in your points however in terms of modern trends; I feel being conventional is more practical than being detailed. The new design is certainly more conventional and fits the bill of what you’d expect a modern office building to look like.

Now whether or not that is right or not is irrelevant as proven by the actual design change itself. Cost cutting leads to being more conventional in design. What is unnecessary is lost or ‘simplified’ for lack of a better word.

As NYguy said, this doesn’t mean that the final product will be a bore when you take into consideration how beautifully Tower 4 is turning out.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
BANNED

T4 is quite nice person.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 2:28 AM
Grand is Golden!

Well I guess it's my turn to dump the old render and make a new one:

My old render:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:30 PM
New Yorker for life

The more I look at the design changes, the base is probably better off now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:59 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^You got version's 1 & 3, but left out 2 (which was by far the most intricate).

v1

v2

v3

Though, I really doubt they're going to fabricate 18x10 foot single sheets of glass. So, personally, I've broken up the trading floor windows as suggested in one of the dBox renders.

One more

Last edited by STR; Jul 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The right shoulder looks the same height as the old one while the left shoulder is lower. Or maybe I'm just looking too hard into it. STR's renders shows the right shoulder as closer to the height of 4 WTC's setback.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 7:38 PM
Grand is Golden!

Did anyone noticed that the 4WTC in the right render (posted by NYGuy) is shorter than the one on the left? I even counted the floors on the upper portion that are lighted up - 19 on the left, 15 on the right.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 7:44 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Ignore it. Those aren't the most accurate renders available.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 7:47 PM
Grand is Golden!

Whatever the case may be, I still like the design of the 4WTC, even if they have to cut some floors down.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 7:59 PM
Because I'm Clever!

4WTC was made taller during its design process, from 925 to the current 977. The number of floors were not altered.

Upper setback open area. 930 feet above the street, making it the 2nd highest outdoor spot in the city after the ESB.

Last edited by STR; Jul 26, 2011 at 9:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive