HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 12:59 PM

HRM charter changes proposed to speed up housing builds

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ilds-1.6410667

Bye-bye to the many advisory committees and other delays in getting applications approved. The provincial govt is not messing around.

(BTW I thought Ms. Berman was retiring, but she is still in there filing stories for the CBC).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ilds-1.6410667I thought Ms. Berman was retiring, but she is still in there filing stories for the CBC.
Well, we knew by the way she says "Hella-faaaaaax" that she knows how to drag things out.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 7, 2022 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:44 PM

Some of the changes are nice quality-of-life things, like the CAO being able to discharge DAs and not needing newspaper ads. However, this is not going to save any meaningful amount of time on applications. The formal approval process isn't all that long and, more importantly, it's generally very predictable. Once you get your application into the committee stream, etc. you have a very good sense of adoption timelines and can plan for it.

The big delays in planning approvals are in actually getting into the formal approval pipeline.

I'm really concerned about the loss of the heritage committee.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Some of the changes are nice quality-of-life things, like the CAO being able to discharge DAs and not needing newspaper ads. However, this is not going to save any meaningful amount of time on applications. The formal approval process isn't all that long and, more importantly, it's generally very predictable. Once you get your application into the committee stream, etc. you have a very good sense of adoption timelines and can plan for it.

The big delays in planning approvals are in actually getting into the formal approval pipeline.

I'm really concerned about the loss of the heritage committee.
Agreed. There is some good stuff actually here that should be made permanent rather than in place for three years (newspaper ads for example). At the press conference it was said that heritage committee was included, but has since been clarified that it's not because it's enabled under Heritage Property Act and not HRM Charter. That is the one I was worried about because their involvement is particular to development that affects registered heritage properties. Not sure if that was by design on the Province's part or by oversight (meant to include HAC but missed the HAC Heritage Property Act, Halifax Charter intricacy?). I don't have a strong opinion about PAC since Dartmouth doesn't have one and I haven't followed the Halifax side one closely enough to say how big a deal that is.

The minister's quote in the examiner that this could save years though was absurd. Maybe 2-4 months. Not nothing, but some hyberbolic overselling going on.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:28 PM

The three years is just for the committee suspension, no? I ‘m reading it as everything else is permanent. I wish they’d make similar changes (minus the committee bit) to the MGA so other munis could get the same benefit. A lot of the communities I work in don’t even have a newspaper.

In close reading, I guess if HRM wants to get petty they could still send things to committees. The committees just can’t provide a recommendation. It doesn’t say they can’t send it to a committee for discussion!

I’d also read it as NOT invalidating the Design Advisory Committee. The DAC advises the Development Officer, not Council.

Finally, I see this as having interesting implications for the Design Review Committee. It would seem the DRC still has the powers to approve site plans in what remains of the Downtown Halifax Plan Area, but they would no longer be able to provide a recommendation to Council regarding density bonusing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Any opinions on where the bottlenecks are if they're not solved by the provincial streamlining measures? There does seem to be a problem with new housing supply being below population growth.

I don't think Halifax has a problem with too little development downtown. I question how character areas have weak protection while uninteresting low density areas are often preserved in service to locals who don't want disruptions. Another criticism I have is that some of the height limits are too low and slender taller towers could be a great form of development. But I don't think any of that will have a material long-term regional housing supply impact if the area continues to grow at 2%.

One thing that does stand out to me is that there are environmental concerns about seemingly every greenfield area around the urban fringe and the reality is that there's wetland all over the place in NS, so it's hard not to build near a lake or a stream. There's little new development in Mainland South and that area would be very convenient for residents if developed.

I also find that a lot of people seem to want ~0 new car oriented development or road building but it's not realistic to expect the dramatic shift in modal share to transit that's needed to eliminate the need for extra road capacity when the city's growing at 2% per year.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:36 PM

So I guess I'll preface this by saying that I generally try to stray away from commenting on HRM planning processes. There are a lot of good people working very hard at HRM and on Council (yes), and there are also a lot of compounding historical reasons for why things are the way they are. I'm also wary of armchair quarterbacking things.

However, I think things are reaching critical level right now, and the involvement of the Province so far--while good intentioned--isn't necessarily productive. They've (rightly) seen a need for action, so I'm breaking my personal rules a little bit to chime in on what I, from the outside looking in, see as the challenges that need fixing.

On the planning side (versus permitting) the issues are not at all on the formal approvals timeline. Going through the committee process is a couple of months at most, and then another month or two after that for appeals periods etc. Importantly, that process is pretty predictable. Once you get there you can reasonably say, "great, we'll have an approval in hand by X date and therefore can start planning our detailed design and construction plans." Is it nice to shave a month or two off this? Sure. Is it fundamentally changing how fast approvals happen? No.

But the real delay is leading up to the formal approvals process. Going through staff review, getting a draft development agreement (if needed), getting a staff report, and then going through management sign-off takes literal years. Years and years and years. As I see it, there are a bunch of compounding reasons for this:
  • Old plans. Many of the plans are grossly out of date, and the policies within them reflect a form of development that is no longer sufficient.
  • Bad plans. A lot of HRMs planning documents are just downright bad. Some of this is a result of years of holding out-of-date plans together with duct tape, updating them in a piecemeal fashion to just enough to address the issue or planning application of the day, resulting in inconsistent and downright convoluted documents and polices. Some of this is a result of ill-thought-out approaches to planning from day one (Who came up with angle controls??? I'd like to have firm words with them.)
  • Overly-complex development agreements. A development agreement should address the enabling policy. It should tackle the issues that make this situation different from as-of-right development. It should only be as complex as needed to tackle those issues. But HRM's long-standing practice has been to write development agreements to control all aspects of development, and to be VERY explicit. On top of that, HRM's default position is to list changes to the DA as substantive (i.e. requiring the whole process again for any amendments). This means developers are going through the process multiple times for a development and, importantly, it also means staff are tied up going through this process multiple times.
  • Rigid and burdensome review process. The planner circulates the application to other departments multiple times throughout the process for comment. Then you'll get comments back, make changes to the proposal to address the comments, and then it needs to go back out for full review, even if the changes you make are exactly what they asked for.
  • Lack of resources. Some of this is a result of the crush of development activity that's happened over the past two years. Some of it is a result of how much work HRM creates for themselves due to the above factors. Some of it is how much work Council creates for staff. It seems harmless to ask for a staff report on every little thing, but that's a couple days worth of work that's not going to more pressing things. Even worse is making planning decisions for political reasons knowing it will get appealed. Preparing for the UARB is pretty much a full-time job, so any time this happens you've put a planner's entire desk of projects on hold. Finally, there is a lot of shuffling of staff going on right now. Every time a planner takes a new job within HRM, their files sit for a couple of months waiting to be assigned to someone new, and then it takes the new person a couple of months getting up to speed.

If the Province truly wants to fix this issue--and I mean really fix it, not just put bandaids on--my recommendation would be to give HRM a pig pot of money to do the Suburban Plan, along with legislation for timelines on when it must be done, the public engagement process to be followed, and the benchmark levels of development it must accommodate. Require HRM to do a rough analysis of what current planning documents allow in terms of number of units, set a requirement for an uplift of X number of units, give minimum targets for each area so certain communities can't fight to exclude their community from sharing in the burden, and establish a minimum level of development that needs to proceed as-of-right. Centre Plan took a long time to get adopted, but it has shown how much a reasonable planning framework can do to unlock development potential. The activity in the Centre Plan area over the past two years has been staggering, even if people don't necessarily agree with the specifics of development heights etc.

For HRM's part, the review process and content of development agreements need to be toned down to only address what's necessary to meet the enabling policy within the Municipal Planning Strategy. It's super frustrating to have every little detail of a proposal nitpicked, when the zoning across the street allows something very similar with almost no oversight.

And again, I fully recognize that I'm on the outside here using the internet to spill my thoughts. But I sense a similar frustration from many staff within HRM who don't have the luxury of doing this.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 10:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

If the Province truly wants to fix this issue--and I mean really fix it, not just put bandaids on--my recommendation would be to give HRM a pig pot of money to do the Suburban Plan, along with legislation for timelines on when it must be done, the public engagement process to be followed, and the benchmark levels of development it must accommodate. Require HRM to do a rough analysis of what current planning documents allow in terms of number of units, set a requirement for an uplift of X number of units, give minimum targets for each area so certain communities can't fight to exclude their community from sharing in the burden, and establish a minimum level of development that needs to proceed as-of-right. Centre Plan took a long time to get adopted, but it has shown how much a reasonable planning framework can do to unlock development potential. The activity in the Centre Plan area over the past two years has been staggering, even if people don't necessarily agree with the specifics of development heights etc.
Suburban plan could be legitimately transformative if it allowed for real density and the creation of dense, walkable areas outside of downtown. There's a lot of opportunities to make new and existing suburbs much more functional, which will have knock-on effects for transit, housing demand and traffic as a whole.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 7:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Suburban plan could be legitimately transformative if it allowed for real density and the creation of dense, walkable areas outside of downtown. There's a lot of opportunities to make new and existing suburbs much more functional, which will have knock-on effects for transit, housing demand and traffic as a whole.
The planning in the Larry Uteck and Bedford area is pretty crappy and Bedford seems out of step with the long term regional transportation plans and possibilities. That area's been growing and has been identified as a hub but in the core of the hub there is nothing substantial, just generic suburban strip malls originally built to serve the town in the 70's-80's era.

In general around the Bedford Highway it's low density with poor pedestrian connectivity. A lot of it is in an uncanny valley of planning with people living in fairly high density towers that have scant to no pedestrian accessible amenities around them. It reminds me a bit of Soviet era planning. Larry Uteck looks like the suburbs of Vladivostok (see https://www.dreamstime.com/autumn-la...image128675738).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 11:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The planning in the Larry Uteck and Bedford area is pretty crappy and Bedford seems out of step with the long term regional transportation plans and possibilities. That area's been growing and has been identified as a hub but in the core of the hub there is nothing substantial, just generic suburban strip malls originally built to serve the town in the 70's-80's era.

In general around the Bedford Highway it's low density with poor pedestrian connectivity. A lot of it is in an uncanny valley of planning with people living in fairly high density towers that have scant to no pedestrian accessible amenities around them. It reminds me a bit of Soviet era planning. Larry Uteck looks like the suburbs of Vladivostok (see https://www.dreamstime.com/autumn-la...image128675738).
With the only difference that a lot of Soviet blocks had a focus on making walkable communities with schools and healthcare near homes. Mind you, this is an easier sell when it takes 10 years to get a car.

When people talk about towers = traffic, Larry Uteck is a case where that's true.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quite frankly, they should just be copy+pasting the Centre Plan into the Suburban plan instead of spending another 5 years coming up with all new standards

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
Quite frankly, they should just be copy+pasting the Centre Plan into the Suburban plan instead of spending another 5 years coming up with all new standards
Yeah, I think a lot of the Centre Plan content could be re-used, with some tweaks. The bigger challenge though is actually getting people to accept that the rules in their neighbourhood are changing. Centre Plan was probably only 1-2 years of writing and 8 years of consultation, internal review, and going through all the various stakeholders. If the Province were willing to be the "bad guy", (which it appears they are willing to do), then mandating a strict work plan and timeline for that aspect of the project would go a long way to moving things forward.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:19 PM

I don't think you want the same level of micro-managed detail around acceptable and unacceptable uses of property that is found in the very flawed centre plan.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:54 PM

You'd rather keep the 20 different standards of micro-managed detail around what's acceptable and unacceptable that we're dealing with today?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure exactly where to put this and it's a bit of a PR piece but it has some interesting info: https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...ding-100723529

The mayor said that in late March there were 6,647 housing units under construction in the municipality, which seems a lot higher than some figures from a few months ago. However it's unclear how this will translate into an annual completion rate (some units may take > 12 months of construction, some < 12 months) and compare with population growth.

He also said the median age in the city dropped from 41.2 to 40.4 and that 15-34 year olds are the fastest growing demographic. I keep seeing speculation that out of province seniors are retiring to Halifax or older NSians are returning but there has to be more than just this to account for the numbers.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
He also said the median age in the city dropped from 41.2 to 40.4 and that 15-34 year olds are the fastest growing demographic. I keep seeing speculation that out of province seniors are retiring to Halifax or older NSians are returning but there has to be more than just this to account for the numbers.
The statcan census data on age released last week was interesting. Seven of ten provinces recorded aging populations between 2016 and 2021, but Nova Scotia held steady, and PEI and BC got younger. Halifax was also one of only a few cities that recorded a declining median age (the others were Victoria and a bunch of the medium-sized Ontario cities, I believe, like London and KWC. I'm guessing part of that is people from their late 20s to early 40s leaving the GTA with their young kids).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
With the only difference that a lot of Soviet blocks had a focus on making walkable communities with schools and healthcare near homes. Mind you, this is an easier sell when it takes 10 years to get a car.

When people talk about towers = traffic, Larry Uteck is a case where that's true.
I'm curious, though, what is the difference between Larry Uteck as it is and a great urban development? Are there standards for walking distance that make it "walkable"?

I mean, if you go to google maps and check walking time from an average point in the middle of the apartment building array to the nearest grocery store (Sobeys Bedford South), it comes out to around 20 minutes, all of which is serviced by sidewalks and signalled crosswalks. It's uphill (one way, but at least the way that you are carrying empty bags), and not an easy walk, but is that considered unacceptable in typical urban standards?

I'm just wondering what it would take to turn it from a failure to a win. It seems that it is accomplishing one goal that we all want to see, and that's dense population, but it still appears to be failing on some key points.

Does it need more shopping locations (like residential with ground floor retail) to make shorter walks from buildings? Re-imagined "strip mall" shopping areas? What would it take?

Also, agree that Bedford Highway from Mill Cove going south is basically a failure for walkability. Painted lines at the side of the road to be shared by cyclists and pedestrians are not a really inviting (or safe) environment for walking.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 11:13 PM

I don't think people choose to live in the larry uteck area without a car. this is a "car-able" community and not a "walk-able" community. look at the parking lots. look at the driv-thru's and the large parking lots at the resturants. is it not a personal-vehicle- community?
it order to transform it to a walkable community the developers would need to make it even more dense. but i suggest if anyone wants to live in a walkable community please consider dutch village rd./ titus street/ joseph howe area

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jor D View Post
I don't think people choose to live in the larry uteck area without a car. this is a "car-able" community and not a "walk-able" community. look at the parking lots. look at the driv-thru's and the large parking lots at the resturants. is it not a personal-vehicle- community?
it order to transform it to a walkable community the developers would need to make it even more dense. but i suggest if anyone wants to live in a walkable community please consider dutch village rd./ titus street/ joseph howe area
Do amenities that make an area convenient for people to use cars automatically mean that you can't live there if you don't drive?

Really, I'm wanting to root out why people think it's so bad, and what should be done to take advantage of a high density area to make it desirable to somebody who doesn't want to have a car.

Sidewalks and signalled crosswalks kind of make it walkable, IMHO. That's why I asked about what hurdle does the area have to get past to actually be determined to be a walkable community? What is the line in the sand between it being OK or even great, and being "bad".

It can't be all about transportation because Larry Uteck is going to be included in the BRT routes.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jor D View Post
The first thing that would need to be done to make it walkable is to install a series of outdoor escalators to enable people to get up the long steep hill. Maybe HRM could get a package deal on them and do one on Duke St downtown as well.

Larry Uteck will never be a walkable community, take it from me. That goes in the same category as flying pigs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy