HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:02 PM
Closed account

just please don't propose a bunch of low-slung, suburban style buildings...their above description about lots of modern glass etc...sounds great.
i guess tonight we see. anyone going? or is this a closed meeting? too many big meetings tonight! Dr Gilbert/ light rail at FRW. big box crap at Aberdeen and this. sheesh.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:15 PM
Closed account

^^ They did it purposly so all that we have to pick ONE meeting!! hahaha Damn us and our "special interests"

This plan sounds decent! Better than the plan for the mountain the Spec has an illustration of :s Brutal!

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/307328

But it doesn't seem as though they plan to save the current HWDSB Bldg at all??? There's a shocker

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

The School Board won't vote on which option to go with until the 28th.

The roof is curvy like a U shape, well I think so. Just think of the Heart research building at the General. The hotels are obviously a high rise and realcity will like that lol. It's not all in one building it's a bunch for each department. Tomorrow we'll probably get a peek of the rendering.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:49 PM
Closed account

hey, you've seen the rendering Steeltown??
DC - that rendering above is without a DOUBT the most embarassing thing I've ever seen.
Can you imagine if they go with that option for our citys' school board??? wow! I would intentionally never attend a meeting there...be too embarassed to drive up to such a frickin mess and pretend that I'm going to hear anything intelligent at the meeting.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:15 PM

I'm sure they could all have enough space in a nice 40 storey tower.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:31 PM
Closed account

lol...you're right flar. it should be a sizable building though considering all the parties involved. can't wait to see the idea.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:54 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The City should never let the BofEd leave the downtown. That is a big mistake.

I can't wait to see it either. Except I wish it was on a parking lot around John and Rebecca, something to seed that area and shed light on the cockroaches hanging out in the area of the old bus station.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
lol...you're right flar. it should be a sizable building though considering all the parties involved. can't wait to see the idea.
Let's keep our fingers crossed... but I'm pretty pessimistic about the plan since it's quite clear they'll be tearing down the original school board bldg.

And why all the talk about building more hotels?? They'll be a nice big one right across the street (Bay/Main), not to mention the Sheraton.

Why not worry about street-level retail (Staples would make sense since it would be a school board building) and concentrate on pressuring the Connaught consortium to act NOW if hotel space is so desperately needed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 9:53 PM

Im not going to lie, i was extremely excited to hear of this new plan. I think its the best even if it is "suburban style" becuase it keeps everyone downtown with underground parking. What more could you ask for especially with these nuts and that mountain design

We'll see. Can't wait to see the rendering especially with the lot of glass. Should look great and modern.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
Closed account

I still can't get over that mountain rendering.....it would be hilarious if it wasn't so embarassing.
is this meeting tonight?? I'll be at the light rail meeting.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

See the rendering on CH?

5 storey facing Main St and two big towers facing King St.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
See the rendering on CH?

5 storey facing Main St and two big towers facing King St.
Sweet! (Now put a shovel in the ground)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:34 PM
Closed account

did it look any good? i'm sure it was quick, but any image showing the streetfront? retail at all??

how tall facing King?
how many total buildings? 3?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

If the School Board goes along with this I would say the shovel will be on the ground late this year, well definitely the demo. It has to be built by 2010.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
did it look any good? i'm sure it was quick, but any image showing the streetfront? retail at all??

how tall facing King?
how many total buildings? 3?
4 buildings. One building at the corner of Bay and Main, school board (5 storey) and kinda looks like the current school board centre. Right next the school board building is the medical centre (5 storey and looks like some parts has 6 storey) and that's all completely glass and ends at Commonwealth Square. So that section of Main St will have a continuous streetfront. There's a courtyard as well.

There was no view from King but you can see one tall building probably 10-15 storey at the corner of King and Bay, unique architect as the back of the building was all curved. Then you meet the back of the medical centre along King and then another tower. That tower seemed to be taller probably 20 storey.

I like having all the towers facing King.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:42 PM
Closed account

at the risk of being scolded by goldfinger for being negative (realistic to most others), I doubt shovels will be in the ground this year....don't get me wrong, I hope so, but everything in Hamilton takes waaaaay longer than that. and this project is dealing with Mac, the school board and the city. it would be a new world record if we could get organizations like that to move so quickly.
at any rate, I can't wait to see this rendering. I wonder how tall the King St towers are?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
4 buildings. One building at the corner of Bay and Main, school board (5 storey) and kinda looks like the current school board centre. Right next the school board building is the medical centre (5 storey and looks like some parts has 6 storey) and that's all completely glass and ends at Commonwealth Square. So that section of Main St will have a continuous streetfront. There's a courtyard as well.

There was no view from King but you can see one tall building probably 10-15 storey at the corner of King and Bay. Then you meet the back of the medical centre along King and then another tower. That tower seemed to be taller probably 20 storey.

I like having all the towers facing King.
cool, thanks for the info.
So the Main St part of the project is the guarunteed stuff right? school board and Mac centre.... i assume the two tall towers are the hotels.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ I edited and added more details. Yes if the School Board approves the plan then yea the Main St part will go ahead.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 11:58 PM
Closed account

sweet. thx.
did they say what Braley's other 3 possible sites are??
i wonder if that 15 storey building you saw back at Bay/King was office space? you said it had a curved glass tower?? doesn't sound like a hotel.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 4:12 AM
Closed account

can we please shut down CH tv? I'm watching this crap now at 11:15 and still nothing on the Mac downtown centre....some guy's garbage dump in Caledonia, gas prices, a boat show etc..... what a waste of time this station is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton