HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 11:58 PM

As they say, there's three sides to every story.

On the surface it appears that the City is doing everything it can to get in the way of Danny Williams. The mayor says he's trying to protect the city, I can't see how what he's doing has any merit. When did the city start trucking snow from areas outside the downtown core? I've been in Cowan Heights for lots of years at 175 Metres and have never seen a single truckload of snow being taken out, even in the winter from hell 2001.

Kenmount Heights has areas above 200 Metres, as does Mt.Pearl and I've never heard of a developer having to give the City acres of land for free.The proposed areas on Kenmount Rd are above 190 M but the City is saying that the City will pay for hundreds of millions of upgrades needed to develop the area. Doesn't sound fair to me.

UPDATE: I drove around Galway yesterday, and the residential roads are really wide, with a wide grass verge on both sides of the sidewalks. These seem wider than those in Kenmount Terace. I can't see how snow storage would be a problem on these roads. What problem is the city trying to address?

Last edited by rthomasd; May 14, 2018 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:52 PM

Looks like there are tenders out for bid to construct a PetSmart and a Marshalls with HomeSense

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:54 PM

Interesting. Looks like Galway will be duplicating other retailers in the city. I wonder if there will be any new retailers to the area?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Interesting. Looks like Galway will be duplicating other retailers in the city. I wonder if there will be any new retailers to the area?
Bold move, Danny. Let's see how it plays out.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Didn't they say it was going to be mostly new retailers when the Shoppes at Galway was first announced? So far its the same retailers as Stavanger Drive plus probably a Cineplex (which was supposed to be built in the east end). And I've heard Kents in Mount Pearl is moving to Galway. Honestly I'm surprised Wal Mart is renovating their Mount Pearl store instead of building a big Super Centre on the other side of Pitts.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:54 PM

Well it’s not too surprising if this is true. The Shoppes At Galway is partnered with Plaza Corp which owns strip malls throughout Atlantic Canada and most are fairly the same with similar tenants in each. They also own the Village Mall, which is not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Didn't they say it was going to be mostly new retailers when the Shoppes at Galway was first announced? So far its the same retailers as Stavanger Drive plus probably a Cineplex (which was supposed to be built in the east end). And I've heard Kents in Mount Pearl is moving to Galway. Honestly I'm surprised Wal Mart is renovating their Mount Pearl store instead of building a big Super Centre on the other side of Pitts.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:37 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

The problem for Galway right now is that there is a vicious "chicken or egg" cycle going on. I'm sure they would love to have new and independent retailers, but smaller companies outside of the major chain's we have likely can't take a risk on the neighbourhood until people move in there.

Alternatively, people are slow to move in there because there are no amenities built at this point, yet the lots and houses are priced as if Galway is a thriving, urban, mixed-use neighbourhood.

So what comes first? People paying for amenities they don't have, or boutique stores moving in to serve customers who don't exist?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:57 PM

In the Horizons Business magazine interview where he mentioned Cineplex he basically said the retailers will be what you see at Stavanger plus some others that are not there.

In my mind this is just going to end up as the "new Stavanger" so to speak...

He also mentioned in that interview that while retailers will have their own unique designs the overall aesthetic will be similar to Dartmouth Crossing development in NS.

In terms of "chicken and egg" analogy I think Costco will end up driving a lot of it....both retail and residential.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:09 AM

I drove through Galway yesterday and Danny Drive is now paved with several future intersections curbed out and wired for traffic lights. Huge amounts of steel have also arrived on the site which I assume is for Costco.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:51 AM

It was named after his Mother, or something on that line.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 2:07 AM

Future Costco?

Made a run by Galway earlier today to see how things are coming along.
Took a couple of pictures of what I can only assume is the new Costco under construction.

Lots of steel stored in the background, ready to go once the pad is poured, or just the footings perhaps.
Not sure how long it'll take before they're ready for a pad based on this stage of construction - a few weeks?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:13 AM

First Steel Erected for Costco

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
Knows it's not going to be windy up there. Wide open and about 60 m higher than Signal Hill.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Knows it's not going to be windy up there. Wide open and about 60 m higher than Signal Hill.

Danny will find a way to stop the wind - or he will convince everyone that the wind is actually a good thing. Whatever Danny wants Danny gets, or he will sook and complain until he gets what he wants. I used to be a huge fan, but not anymore. I used to think everything he touched turned to gold - now I believe the opposite. What a letdown.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
danny will find a way to stop the wind - or he will convince everyone that the wind is actually a good thing. Whatever danny wants danny gets, or he will sook and complain until he gets what he wants. I used to be a huge fan, but not anymore. I used to think everything he touched turned to gold - now i believe the opposite. What a letdown.

"squallway"
!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Not only wind but snow! I used to live in Elizabeth Park which is considered higher elevation although not as high as Galway. Snowstorms usually dumped more snow on us.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Not only wind but snow! I used to live in Elizabeth Park which is considered higher elevation although not as high as Galway. Snowstorms usually dumped more snow on us.
Does Galway have an average higher height than Airport Heights? That place gets a lot of snow.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Does Galway have an average higher height than Airport Heights? That place gets a lot of snow.
Galway is higher. From a quick look at a contour map, Airport Heights is roughly in the 160 - 180 masl (meters above sea level) range. Most of Galway looks to be in the 200-230 masl range.

For reference, Cabot tower is about 150 masl.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:21 PM

The new Costco has steel up now according to the Galway Business Centre's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Galwaybcnl/statu...31356156506112

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

Costco St. John's Aug 6 2018

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's