HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:11 AM

Westlake/MacArthur Park: L.A.'s Grandest Neighborhood

It's understandably a bold claim to make, considering the non-stellar reputation it currently has and the abundance of trash and grime in certain parts of the area, not to mention the relatively high crime rate. But they didn't call it the Champs-Elysees of L.A. for nothing, and you can definitely see its former grandeur amid the taco carts and the fake ID sellers - in the detailed facade of buildings, the grand apartment buildings, and of course the amazing MacArthur Park.

I think it's one of the most beautifully laid out neighborhood in L.A., with the park at its center, surrounded by grand buildings like the Park Plaza Hotel, Ansonia Apartments, and the iconic Westlake Theater sign. Too bad so much of the buildings have become swap meets or discount stores, but there are still lots of interesting buildings, and its walkability and proximity to downtown (not to mention Langer's, home to the best pastrami in the country) still makes it a pretty desirable neighborhood.

Here are some photos I took not too long ago on a day with very strange but beautiful weather. The light from the sun was amazing, but there were also lots of ominous rainclouds next to unrealistically blue skies, which made for some interesting juxtaposition.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:24 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for sharing your pics, Palmero!

I see what you mean, very nice grey and white rainclouds and bright blue skies. Those days are specially good to have a walk and take pictures, like you did.

I´ve liked the area of L.A. you´ve covered in your thread. We didn´t visited it when we stayed in L.A. Interesting part of the city, indeed.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 4:48 PM

What great photos! I love it. Westlake reminds me a lot of the non-gentrified areas of the Mission District in SF.

By the way, what type of architecture is this building in the middle (perhaps KingOfTheHill could clue me in?). I'm in love with this style and it's common all over the Los Angeles area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:13 PM
Ascension

You can see my apartment (brick building second from left).

This is my street (Union Drive).

I like Westlake more than I thought I would. I've been here a year and it's a very interesting neighborhood. The people are friendly, always a vibrant and alive feeling, and on the weekends, expect to be overloaded with some of the best smelling food ever. Awesome pictures of my hood.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:31 PM

Nice, good work.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:39 PM

Awesome photos. Westlake is definitely an underappreciated neighborhood, still beautiful under the grime. I also think it has the liveliest street life of any residential neighborhood in the city. MacArthur Park is always a mixed bag, but it seems particularly nice on clear winter days.

As for the building you asked about, destroycreate, it's probably best classified as Second Empire Revival. It's got the distinct mansard roof and and even proportions of Second Empire architecture, but with the subdued details and very vertical look of later art deco.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:04 PM

nicely done. i think its only a matter of time before the area returns to its former glory. Development is squeezing from all sides. Koreatown and Downtown surround it and im guessing that large scale projects and gentrification will start in the next couple years

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:53 PM
International

Tons and tons of develop opportunity there. Two transit lines, the city's best urban park, a generally above-average pre-war building stock and inventory, and the fact that it is hemmed in by growing and expansionary Downtown, Koreatown, Echo Park, and Silverlake, means that it has a bright future. I can't wait to see this area take off. I went to a really cool art gallery opening in the American Cement Building, a loft complex in the cheesegrater-like building featured in several of the photos. The views were incredible.

destroycreate, that building would probably be considered Second Empire Revival, as the mansard roof, juliet balconies, and distinct proportions would suggest. However, most people here would probably (incorrectly) call it a "Chateau" building, which are far more common in LA, and while they are similarly French-influenced and derived, usually feature rounded, corner turrets, often topped with small spires.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
nicely done. i think its only a matter of time before the area returns to its former glory. Development is squeezing from all sides. Koreatown and Downtown surround it and im guessing that large scale projects and gentrification will start in the next couple years
Agreed... that area still has a ways to go but it's inevitable that gentrification will come. The real estate is just too prime and the bones are just too good.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 8:08 PM

How is this area crime-wise just out of curiosity?

Thanks for the architectural input, by the way ^^.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Wow, I'm surprised this area given its features and location isn't a more in demand area. If developed, this area appears to have the bones and potential to be one of l.a most Beautiful areas. Very European vibe to the place in terms of buildings and the park.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
How is this area crime-wise just out of curiosity?

Thanks for the architectural input, by the way ^^.
used to be very bad in the 90's... gotten much much better but still worse than the neighboring communities

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 PM

Great pics! Remember when Will tried to stop Carlton from going to MacArthur Park? Man, that is a beat neighborhood - lots of character, soul, and good food. Only real place to get some good Central American Pan Dulce really. It does have a lot of potential, but I'm thinking it's a long ways off.

Also, there needs to be a better way to connect the two parts of the park. I know there is a walkway under Wilshire, but I don't think it's enough.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 12:54 AM
Have no regrets

Beautiful neighborhood. Very "LA Noire". But if you guys seriously consider this "grimy" then I'd hate to think what you'd think of New York neighborhoods. :S

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:04 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ This will be the hardest neighborhood to gentrify because of its established reputation as an immigrant community. It's not lower middle class like Echo Park; it's the poorest of poor places.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:30 AM
Babylon falling

Great thread, question for Three Hundred: Do you have a car in this neighborhood? I assume parking would be a real pain. Also what is your apartment like? I've been in apt buildings similar to these (in look) having lived in Crown Heights Brooklyn for two years and they were pretty grimy and extremely outdated on the inside.

They were actually kind of depressing. So seeing that WestLake is a poor immigrant area I would assume the inside of these buildings are pretty funky. I hope yours is decent, maybe you could talk about others you have been in.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:50 AM
Red brick mama.

Wow, great pics!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:52 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ This will be the hardest neighborhood to gentrify because of its established reputation as an immigrant community. It's not lower middle class like Echo Park; it's the poorest of poor places.
Yeah, Central American neighborhoods, such as Westlake and neighboring Pico-Union, are among the crummiest places LA has to offer. Of all the different immigrant groups' neighborhoods, the Central American ones here have to be among the absolute worst.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 5:27 AM

Great shots. This is the exact sort of neighborhood I would like to visit next time I'm in LA.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 8:21 AM

What a great set. I love this part of LA. So lively and interesting with tons of people in the streets and in the park. I'm there often enough, Thanks for showing the world our Westlake hood. I love it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos