HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:02 PM
phoenixwillrise phoenixwillrise is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 258
Casa Grande Projects that never happen.

What ever became of Phoenix Mart, The Electric Car Factory, the Auto Racing Facility and last but not least the next Disneyland? How is it even possible a city could have so many pipe dreamers show up in one place? What is up with that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:45 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
What ever became of Phoenix Mart, The Electric Car Factory, the Auto Racing Facility and last but not least the next Disneyland? How is it even possible a city could have so many pipe dreamers show up in one place? What is up with that?
All big visions that need someone to put up the cash to make them happen. From a couple months ago:

https://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gr...03f3b17a8.html

I think Casa Grande is attractive to a certain class of projects--cheap land, at the intersection of two major interstates, between two substantial metros. And Casa Grande seems to be willing to give fairly substantial incentives. But eventually the projects have to find funding. And I imagine that the type of proposals they're getting--start-ups with big ideas--take a long time to fund if they're funded at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:58 PM
nickw252 nickw252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Mesa
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
What ever became of Phoenix Mart, The Electric Car Factory, the Auto Racing Facility and last but not least the next Disneyland? How is it even possible a city could have so many pipe dreamers show up in one place? What is up with that?
The Lucid Factory appears to be moving forward, albeit at a slower rate than anticipated. This article below is from last week:

Quote:
Lucid Motors factory in Casa Grande drives closer to a reality

After more than a year since its initial announcement, Lucid Motors announced on April 25th that production of vehicles in Casa Grande, Arizona will begin in two years.

The city was left in limbo for approximately 18 months as Lucid sought to secure $700 million in Series D funding. The two-year time frame comes from the estimated time and cost it will take to begin producing the Lucid Air model at the Casa Grande facility.

The electric car manufacturer secured an extension on the option to buy the land needed for the factory in mid-April. Pinal County Manager Greg Stanley said the county would potentially be the buyer of the 500 acres Lucid has chosen for its factory and then lease it to developers short-term.

Series D funding comes after the previous phases of funding such as raising seed capital followed by Series A, B and C. Typically C is the final round, but for companies looking to raise more capital and gain more investors, another round of funding can be implemented. Richard Wilkie, director of economic development for the city of Casa Grande, said Lucid Motors’ facility would add to the city’s growing reputation,

“(Lucid) helps draw more interest to other companies that may not necessarily be related to the automotive field, but because you have these types of high-quality jobs that would be created,” he said.

Lucid Motors has been short on cash in the past, but delays have not negatively impacted the city financially, Wilkie said.

“These types of projects take time, they don’t happen overnight,” he said. “This is next generation collector’s vehicle, they have autonomous technology in it, it is the wave of the future.”

The city is ready to go, Wilkie said. “If they came in tomorrow and provided us plans, we’d be ready to go.”

The initial announcement to build a factory in Casa Grande came with a proposal of approximately 2,000 new jobs and a new curriculum for the Advanced Manufacturing Technology Program at Central Arizona College.

The year-long program has been designed for graduates to enter the workforce immediately in areas of advanced technology, said Advanced Technology Division Chairwoman Kristen Benedict. Since the announcement of the partnership with Lucid Motors, “we’ve seen a growth of the program by 1,300 percent,” Benedict said regarding the number of applications from students for the Advanced Technology Manufacturing Program alone.

“We’re seeing an alignment amongst the state on curriculum and all the colleges on the Sun Corridor will be offering the same curriculum,” she said.

Even with the delay of Lucid’s arrival, Benedict said she does not see wavering in the students’ interest desire to be in the program. The program is applicable to other manufacturing industries, which means the program’s need will not go away either, according to Benedict.

Stanley expressed the city’s eagerness and excitement for Lucid’s arrival saying it could potentially reduce long work commutes for many residents. “The county’s workforce is about 170,000, about 50 percent of that workforce travel outside of the county to places like Phoenix and Tucson,” he said.

“The economic benefits will be tremendous,” Stanley said.

“We have over 25 health-care related specialists in the community, we’re the health-care hub of Pinal County,” he said. “We have advanced manufacturing; we have Hexcel, which is an international company—they’ve been in the community over 40 years.”

Hexcel is one of the largest producers for the commercial aerospace industry and is among some other large corporations in Casa Grande like Frito Lay and Abbott Nutrition.

Wilkie said the proximity to the Interstate 8 and 10 as well as two major airports—Phoenix Sky Harbor International and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway—puts the area in a good position.

“That’s what makes us so enticing for these large, Fortune 500 companies to put distribution centers,” he said.

According to Wilkie, Lucid Motors could prompt more residents, new housing and a growth in food, entertainment and retail sales.

“You see a direct benefit with the jobs being created,” he said.
https://azbigmedia.com/lucid-motors-...-to-a-reality/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:01 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,334
Lots of guys with big dreams and shallow pockets try to make their dreams a reality in Casa Grande because land is cheaper, I think they realize later that they're going to lose a lot of money or realize that even though the land is cheaper they still can't afford it.

There's also a finite amount of developer hype to sell houses.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:05 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,973
I also think Casa Grande suffers from a 20 year old idea of massive suburban growth that has decidedly changed into (while still sprawly) much slower outward expansion than before 2008.

Back in the early 00's everyone thought Phoenix and Tucson would grow into each other with un-ending Socal style sprawl within 20 years.

Well, that clearly isn't going to happen for way more than 20 years even from now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:34 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I also think Casa Grande suffers from a 20 year old idea of massive suburban growth that has decidedly changed into (while still sprawly) much slower outward expansion than before 2008.

Back in the early 00's everyone thought Phoenix and Tucson would grow into each other with un-ending Socal style sprawl within 20 years.

Well, that clearly isn't going to happen for way more than 20 years even from now.
I thank my lucky stars that the Gila River reservation exists--sprawl stretching south from Chandler to Casa Grande would be depressing.

It's too bad that Casa Grande doesn't have the territorial history of a place like Prescott. If it had developed a little more a little earlier it could be a pretty cool waypoint between Phoenix and Tucson. As it is, the few historic buildings they have (other than the High-School-turned-City-Hall) are not much to look at, and the pockmarked suburban subdivisions almost irrationally bug me when I drive through. I did have a good meal at Big House Cafe once though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:05 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I thank my lucky stars that the Gila River reservation exists--sprawl stretching south from Chandler to Casa Grande would be depressing.

It's too bad that Casa Grande doesn't have the territorial history of a place like Prescott. If it had developed a little more a little earlier it could be a pretty cool waypoint between Phoenix and Tucson. As it is, the few historic buildings they have (other than the High-School-turned-City-Hall) are not much to look at, and the pockmarked suburban subdivisions almost irrationally bug me when I drive through. I did have a good meal at Big House Cafe once though.
Also I had no idea until recently how gang infested CG is. It reminds me of the Hemet/ San Jacinito of the Inland Empire in CA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:03 AM
sh9730 sh9730 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 127
Wow - Haven't checked on this board for a bit - and then read this one - most of it is reasonable and I will provide updates - but let's get the last comment above out of the way....CG is NOT gang infested by any stretch....

As for the projects - yes they are all delayed more than expected - but none are dead yet either - here are updates:

LUCID MOTORS - This one IS still moving forward and we hopefully will be hearing some next step definitive news soon. As a matter of fact some other projects are in the works that were "contingent" upon the real likelihood of Lucid moving ahead - and THOSE projects are moving ahead in the back channels.

Attesa (Racetrack) - Also still in real development - the latest though is the land may (likely will) be annexed into the city of CG to allow for some better infrastructure, as well as tax options that the county cannot provide. In the meantime they are moving ahead. Here is their latest public announcement - just a couple of weeks ago:

https://goldencorridorliving.com/att...rings-eternal/

Phoenixmart - This one is a toss up. The good news is they have been cleared from their FBI investigation and that should help with investment efforts. They DO have some of that in process, AND they do still have all sorts of plans under review with the city etc.

They also just recently gained approval for some upgrades and zoning variances for the old Outlet Mall they also own along I 10 south of town and they claim we should see some real activity there before years end.

On the other hand - they have some liens, lawsuits, and tax issues that they must resolve quickly, or things will go downhill fast.

Dreamport Villages (Amusement Park) - another toss up - though they claim things are still moving in the background. Water approval may be an issue here - and ADWR is not being very cooperative with Pinal County applications now.

As for CG overall (but not really big project or SkyScraper related so I will be brief) - Homebuilders are back in town at a gaining pace - the NEW mall along I 10 has a new owner and they are being VERY aggressive with attracting new tenants to some of the abandoned suites/buildings in that center. AND there are several other projects "in the works" that are not ready for public release yet.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:53 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Wow - Haven't checked on this board for a bit - and then read this one - most of it is reasonable and I will provide updates - but let's get the last comment above out of the way....CG is NOT gang infested by any stretch....

As for the projects - yes they are all delayed more than expected - but none are dead yet either - here are updates:

LUCID MOTORS - This one IS still moving forward and we hopefully will be hearing some next step definitive news soon. As a matter of fact some other projects are in the works that were "contingent" upon the real likelihood of Lucid moving ahead - and THOSE projects are moving ahead in the back channels.

Attesa (Racetrack) - Also still in real development - the latest though is the land may (likely will) be annexed into the city of CG to allow for some better infrastructure, as well as tax options that the county cannot provide. In the meantime they are moving ahead. Here is their latest public announcement - just a couple of weeks ago:

https://goldencorridorliving.com/att...rings-eternal/

Phoenixmart - This one is a toss up. The good news is they have been cleared from their FBI investigation and that should help with investment efforts. They DO have some of that in process, AND they do still have all sorts of plans under review with the city etc.

They also just recently gained approval for some upgrades and zoning variances for the old Outlet Mall they also own along I 10 south of town and they claim we should see some real activity there before years end.

On the other hand - they have some liens, lawsuits, and tax issues that they must resolve quickly, or things will go downhill fast.

Dreamport Villages (Amusement Park) - another toss up - though they claim things are still moving in the background. Water approval may be an issue here - and ADWR is not being very cooperative with Pinal County applications now.

As for CG overall (but not really big project or SkyScraper related so I will be brief) - Homebuilders are back in town at a gaining pace - the NEW mall along I 10 has a new owner and they are being VERY aggressive with attracting new tenants to some of the abandoned suites/buildings in that center. AND there are several other projects "in the works" that are not ready for public release yet.

Hope this helps.
Oh really....?

https://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gr...14d759e0d.html

https://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gr...6924f95c4.html

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3...no-gang-member
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 8:02 AM
sh9730 sh9730 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 127
Yes - really - a complete exaggeration on your part - I could do a similar search for every area in the Phoenix metro - SOME gang activity is everywhere - that is a big difference than "infested".

As for these articles in particular:

#1 - this is for ALL of Pinal County - it barely mentions Casa Grande specifically.

#2 - yes, there are SOME gang members in CG - as there are in virtually every city and town in the country. What gang activity (especially violence) there is in CG is limited mostly to gang on gang issues (as was the case in this incident), and in some very limited areas of town.

#3 - this incident occurred in SELLS - a town about 50 miles from CG. It only had a CG byline because that is the Border Patrol station that covers Sells.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 12:15 AM
sh9730 sh9730 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 127
At least one of the projects mentioned in this post got a major boost today - 1 Billion+ funding obtained with a major chunk of it going to the CG facility. :

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...ry/1337346002/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:05 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
At least one of the projects mentioned in this post got a major boost today - 1 Billion+ funding obtained with a major chunk of it going to the CG facility. :

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...ry/1337346002/
I think this pretty much garuntees it now gets built, and Nikolai is for sure being built getting built only about 20-30 mins outside of casa grande these two projects will bring major employment and wealth into the region finally
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.