HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Most electric cars can only be serviced and repaired at the dealer. This is another thing that most people take into consideration when buying one. You can't just go to a backyard mechanic and get your car repaired for half the cost.
They also require minimal maintenance compared to traditional gas vehicles. Far fewer moving parts and liquids being pumped around.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Unless something dramatically changes technologically or price-wise, electric vehicles will remain a niche market while good ole gasoline vehicles will continue to be the choice of transportation for most. I am not beholden to any one technology but on a practical level for my family, electric cars don't seem to be on our radar.
Things are "dramatically changing" every year in the electric vehicle world. I have a feeling people buying brand new gas vehicles today will be seriously regretting their decision in 5 years.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:22 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
Are you sure about that?
Yeah that's definitely not true. CoV is 50% car ownership, pretty sure the rest of the metro is not anywhere near 200%.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post

The lower Mainland has over 3 million cars on the road
Just over half that in Metro vancouver. In January 2016 it was 1.63 million [source]

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Just over half that in Metro vancouver. In January 2016 it was 1.63 million [source]
No wonder it feels like there is so much more traffic in Surrey than 10-15 years ago. 200,474 cars in 2001, and 346740 in 2016. A 73% increase.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump View Post
Which countries have said this? Only selling electric cars in less than 2 years is a very short period of time. I don't think that is true.

I can only find a few stories like France plans to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2040. Netherlands is 2030. Norway is 2025 and they already have 1/4 hybrid or electric mainly because taxes on petrol cars are insane. Other listed countries have a tiny almost inconsequential percentage of electric cars.
But it's coming and as more countries go that way electric car production can go up and bring costs down for them. India has a target to go all electric by 2030.

In Vancouver |I swear you can't throw a rock without hitting a tesla or an electric vehicle. Even in the suburbs like Coquitlam I see a lot of Teslas on the roads.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I am seeing more and more infrastructure for EVs being built into facilities here, either new or retrofitted. You will see more of some form of electric vehicle in the Major cities in Alberta. St Albert is already using battery powered buses. So we know they work in the cold weather. Epcor has a 25 hectare solar farm proposal for the river valley in YEG.

If and when I upgrade to an EV I hope the tech is within the same economics as gas. Like was said above, maintenance and power cost per Km. Plus the distance per charge must increase dramatically.

The lower Mainland has over 3 million cars on the road if they all switched to EV they would not need Alberta fuel but the site C and other damns would be required.

Gas prices in YEG this morning fell to 0.99. I also heard today the cost of production in the oil sands has fallen below $50.00 a barrel.

From a discussion on the Radio this morning.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ture-1.4523780
The reason you see a lot of charging stations in BC is the provincial government has taken an active role in getting those installed. They are in shopping centers, airport parking lots, parks and a lot of other places. What is interesting is if you drive around they are actually being used.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The reason you see a lot of charging stations in BC is the provincial government has taken an active role in getting those installed. They are in shopping centers, airport parking lots, parks and a lot of other places. What is interesting is if you drive around they are actually being used.
New Westminster (and Vancouver) is starting to put them in light standards now. Here, for example, is someone complaining that they're potentially taking away visitor parking.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
GM and Jaguar Land Rover said no more production of combustion engine vehicles after 2020, maybe that's what he was thinking of.
From what I've read, GM did not say this. They're talking about a future where they do not use the internal combustion engine but it is certainly not by 2020.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
From what I've read, GM did not say this. They're talking about a future where they do not use the internal combustion engine but it is certainly not by 2020.
There is zero truth in this. They are planning on expanding their electrified drivetrains and offerings but by no means are they going all electric in less than 2 years, they would be put out of business. Volvo is the only company that has committed to electrify their entire lineup by 2020/2021 (can't remember) but all that means is that there will be at the very least some form of hybrid system in the car but the gas engine will still be an integral part.

The ICE will be around for a while especially with the Trump administration looking to slash a lot of these fuel economy and emissions targets to make it "more business/manufacturing friendly".

Lets not forget that these extremely high gas prices are very specific to BC and even more specifically Metro Vancouver. All the country has high gas prices but its a relative bargain in the other provinces.

It will be interesting to see if the NDP dump more money into the CEVforBC and scrap it programs because if that wasn't there it would be a tough financial decision for a lot of people to go EV especially considering most manufacturers make little to no profit on EV's as it stands right now because of their high cost of production. The expansion of electrified will probably pair with a new ownership model such as a subscription model where you will get a 2 year contract (like a cellphone) and have vehicle, insurance, maintenance and maybe other things included similar to what Volvo is launching with their "care by volvo" initiative.

Will be very interesting to see what happens to the industry over the next 5 years. With fewer and fewer gas stations in the metro, there is definitely an opportunity for disruption in that avenue as well (on demand fill-ups through connected car services anyone?)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 10:07 PM

WRT Gas Prices:

If you collect Air Miles as "cash" miles, until March 7th, 2018, you get a bonus of 20 Air Miles when you redeem 95 Air Miles (for $10) at Shell gas stations.

So you are getting $10 in gas for 75 Air Miles net.

The catch is that the bonus is only 20 Air Miles per transaction (regardless of how many Air Miles your redeem in the transaction, so redeeming 190 Air Miles in one transaction does not get you 40 bonus Air Miles). However, you are allowed up to 5 transactions per day.

So - if you are cheap, like me, you'll pre-authorize your credit card, swipe your Air Miles card at the pump to redeem 95 Air Miles, then pump exactly $10 in gas. Repeat up to 4 more times for 5 times total. Hopefully no one is waiting behind you.

I went over $10.00 a few times so I have charges of $0.01 on my credit card statement.

Mine:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
WRT Gas Prices:

If you collect Air Miles as "cash" miles, until March 7th, 2018, you get a bonus of 20 Air Miles when you redeem 95 Air Miles (for $10) at Shell gas stations.

So you are getting $10 in gas for 75 Air Miles net.

The catch is that the bonus is only 20 Air Miles per transaction (regardless of how many Air Miles your redeem in the transaction, so redeeming 190 Air Miles in one transaction does not get you 40 bonus Air Miles). However, you are allowed up to 5 transactions per day.

So - if you are cheap, like me, you'll pre-authorize your credit card, swipe your Air Miles card at the pump to redeem 95 Air Miles, then pump exactly $10 in gas. Repeat up to 4 more times for 5 times total. Hopefully no one is waiting behind you.

I went over $10.00 a few times so I have charges of $0.01 on my credit card statement.

Mine:
Is that cheaper than going to Blaine after all said and done or same price?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:23 AM

Is it really necessary to quote a long message right below it?

That being said, it was mentioned on radio the other day, that no new refinery capacity has been built in Lower Mainland in the last 50 years, while at the same time the number of cars and consumption has multiplied. So here we are today buying big part of our gasoline from WA refineries with our weak CAD...

But guess it's at least more environmentally friendly when the refineries are 50km south of the border??

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:52 AM

Vancouver did have 4 refineries in the past but they were closed some time ago in the 1990s.

Of note, the transmountain pipeline was one of the factors that promoted the closure of the refineries as the pipeline allowed refined product to be shipped to metro vancouver. In the 1990s, companies decided to upgrade plants in edmonton and close vancouver refining to save costs.

The land is still there, for possible use for refineries. they are now being used as shipping terminals.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

That being said, it was mentioned on radio the other day, that no new refinery capacity has been built in Lower Mainland in the last 50 years, while at the same time the number of cars and consumption has multiplied. So here we are today buying big part of our gasoline from WA refineries with our weak CAD...

But guess it's at least more environmentally friendly when the refineries are 50km south of the border??
Just filled up tonight at the Fred Meyer in Bellingham for 0.92 cents/L CAN$$. We were there on our monthly huge shopping trip so it just makes the drive cheaper.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

Oil is always priced in USD so it doesn't matter too much.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Is that cheaper than going to Blaine after all said and done or same price?
Depends how you collect your Air Miles.
Since the redemption debacle a couple of years ago I've gone 100% "cash Air Miles" (no travel or merchandise)
and just been looking for the bonus offers at Safeway (i.e. buy 2 of XYZ product get 50 Air Miles) or offers from AMEX Air Miles
(spend $100 in groceries on AMEX get 400 Air Miles) instead of accumulating them by regular spending (on Air Miles credit card,
the regular accrual rate is a really poor return at 1 Air Mile per $20 or $15 in spending).

Since they're largely bonus Air Miles, they're free and the gas ends up being free.

My credit card spending is on cash-back cards now (about 1% back) or PC MasterCard (for PC Optimum points for
No Frills or Real Canadian Superstore).

Also Safeway has a bonus offer on right now til March 8th.

Info here:

Quote:
Now earn Fuel Savings up to 15 ¢ per litre on your fuel purchases!

Earn a 4 cent-per-litre discount coupon for SHELL with a minimum $50 eligible grocery purchase.
Your discount increases as you spend more on your groceries up to a maximum reward of 15 cents-per-litre,
Refer to the table on the right.

This cross promotion ends on March 8, 2018. Coupons may be redeemed at participating Shell service stations
until March 25, 2018. Safeway issued coupon may be redeemed through the expiry date stated on the coupon
at Safeway Gasoline locations.
https://www.safeway.ca/our-services/fuel

If you spend more than $50 you'll get a receipt with a 4 cent per litre discount on gas at Shell.
It increases if you spend more...

https://www.safeway.ca/our-services/fuel

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:44 PM

Up up up we go. Starting April 1st we will see about 1.2 cents/L added every year in carbon tax. $1.60/L is where we will be soon. That means everything is about to get more expensive here.

Makes my trips to Bellingham a lot more worth it. Fred Meyer today at $0.99/L Can money.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:06 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

How long is the Nexus wait? My mom is too stubborn to cross the border, and I live relatively close to the border.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
How long is the Nexus wait? My mom is too stubborn to cross the border, and I live relatively close to the border.
Went last nite to Blaine and 30$ US money pretty much filled up my little Hyundai Veloster. I was 90 km to empty. Here it would've been easy over 50$ maybe $60 Canadian. Nexus no line as always. You gotta be a sucker to get gas here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure