HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:49 AM

If You Were a Billionaire and could live anywhere, WHERE would you live?

I think I would be a nomad, traveling the world. When I found the best place, I'd settle. New York? San Francisco? West L.A.? San Diego? Seattle? Paris? London? Australia? New Zealand? Hawaii? Maybe homes in all the nice places? Warren Buffett, one of the richest men in the world, still makes his primary home in Omaha, although I'm sure he has homes elsewhere. But most billionaires seem to settle in the "usual suspects"--SF, NYC, London, L.A. etc. Maybe homes are a burden. Why not just stay in high class hotels? Or roam the world on a luxury cruise ship? Eventually you'd want to call some place home though. WHERE?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 16, 2018 at 8:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:52 AM
Houston:Considered Good

I would agree that I would buy multiple homes and travel between them. Probably Tokyo, Chicago and Portland.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:58 AM

I'd probably get lost in Italy or Spain. Buy a small hotel on the beach in Vietnam. Japan would be interesting, though I could imagine it being a very lonely lifestyle being a gaijin.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I would agree that I would buy multiple homes and travel between them. Probably Tokyo, Chicago and Portland.
Wouldn't owning multiple homes eat up your time? Why not stay in 5 star hotels?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
I'd probably get lost in Italy or Spain. Buy a small hotel on the beach in Vietnam. Japan would be interesting, though I could imagine it being a very lonely lifestyle being a gaijin.
Buying a hotel would entail multiple responsibilities and potential costs. I prefer to be free of worry, although even the rich have worries. We are all mortal. Money can't stop that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:14 AM

I would think hotels would be hard to live in, they aren’t designed to be lived in, they are designed to be visited. There are a lot of people who own multiple residences and do just fine.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:17 AM

Quote:
I would think hotels would be hard to live in, they aren’t designed to be lived in, they are designed to be visited. There are a lot of people who own multiple residences and do just fine.
Billionaires can afford luxury suites as big as large apartments. The hotel takes care of everything.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Billionaires can afford luxury suites as big as large apartments. The hotel takes care of everything.
Well fine then, if you insist I’ll live in a damn hotel but I’d live in either Tokyo, Chicago or Portland.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Well fine then, if you insist I’ll live in a damn hotel but I’d live in either Tokyo, Chicago or Portland.
I'd add NYC, London, S.F., L.A., Seattle, Vancouver also. Maybe Melbourne or Sydney also. And a lakefront estae on Lake Tahoe maybe, or perhaps Lake Como, or both.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:41 AM

Manhattan next to Central Park.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 10:21 AM

This is a fun question.
Having that much money would change my priorities a bit. Cost of living, obviously, would not be as much of an issue.
I have always found Tokyo interesting. I would love to have a condo in Downtown Seattle, Downtown Miami or on the Las Vegas strip, with a nice view.
Maybe something in Dubai and/or Chicago.
Obviously I would need at least one home on the beach somewhere and I do agree that spending most of my time traveling and perhaps living in large hotel rooms would be ideal.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 11:50 AM

I would have places in New York City, Barcelona, the Caribbean and probably Provence.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 11:57 AM

A floor-through triplex in SoHo or Tribeca as primary residence, something in CA right on the Pacific (maybe Laguna Beach or Malibu) and something on the Italian or French Riveria.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:01 PM

Top floor of a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:08 PM

I would keep my base here, but like others have stated what they would do, I would travel and just rent large suites or condos for a month at a time as I go..I would perhaps build and own just 1 luxury cottage up North near where some of my relatives have cottages, otherwise rent around the world. The more you own, the more you have to take care of..Heck even at said cottage, I may own one cruising boat, but rent the toys as I have the urge..Have the local dealer deliver and pick up the jetskis for a weekend as an example.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:24 PM

Bah, I don't need anything much to make a living after all.
Although I deeply admire beautiful manufacturing products, I guess I'm not so much interested in huge yachts, Dassault Falcon business jets or luxury cars for myself.
Business jets are nonetheless useful to corporations, and they are truly magnificent advanced products.

I would just purchase a super large apartment here in Paris, that's about it. Héhé.

Then I would fund more profitable high tech projects here in France, also all over Europe, and some education facilities in struggling countries that I would back.
Especially in Africa, Central and South America, by skipping and boycotting their corrupt politicians and officials.

I think NGOs privately funded could be some interesting and effective means to spread education and peace in countries that badly need more economic growth.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:32 PM
Baltimore

A house in Cape Town, Montreal, and Berlin. To get greedy I would have one in Baton Rouge just to watch LSU Football home games.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:13 PM
BANNED

I’d split my time between London and Paris between April and November and then Miami during the winter.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

if i become a billionaire tomorrow, i'd still live in chicago.

afterall, all my family and friends live here, and people are more important to me than location.

but i'd probably have a winter retreat to escape to, maybe one of those hillside villas on st. john (USVI). and maybe a ski cabin out in colorado.

as for the world outside of north america, i'd probably just travel well as opposed to maintaining multiple homes on the other side of the world.

oh, and i'd totally buy one of these magnificent old victorian summer cottages up on mackinac island (mackinac is my home away from home, and no fucking cars!!!!).

set myself up with a carriage and a team of horses and just ride around all day pretending it's still the 19th century.

source: https://www.mackinacislandrealty.com...ngorm-cottage/

unfortunately, there is absolutely no danger of me becoming a billionaire tomorrow. oh well.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:59 PM

I'd stay here in Philly. I'd probably go for one of the skyscrapers. Either 1911 Walnut, The St. James, or Residences at Ritz-Carlton. Then I might go for a place down the shore. Don't know which shore. Definitely South Jersey, at least.

Save the SS United States!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions