HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:50 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Just in Toronto at the end of May. Great city. It had grown so much since I was there in 2001.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:50 PM

^^^The comparison to Buckhead is slightly humorous, albeit interesting. Buckhead is an extension of downtown and midtown Atlanta, and its more like office park buildings and condos in a forest.

North York City Centre has as many buildings as the entire central core of Atlanta alone (downtown, midtown, buckhick combined) and its 8 miles north of Toronto's skyline. The central core of NYCC is very urban, and while it follows Yonge St its actually a very urban corridor that spans out a few blocks. I would argue that NYCC is as attractive as downtown Atlanta and is equally as urban (if not more) and is actually far more livable, yet its not part of the immediate Toronto urban central core.

In regards to the earlier discussion about someone saying its just a suburb, I agree, there isn't really a comparison in the US. I've been all over the US.. From Rosslyn across from Georgetown in DC to Bellevue in Seattle, the office parks around the SF Bay area. Jersey City... There really aren't many American comparisons to make. Canada simply builds cities differently. Rosslyn is nice, but its a joke compared to NYCC. Its truly a city onto itself.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 1:28 AM

Someone on UT said that the Metro (Yonge-Shepherd) will be closing in mid January... that means that Hullmark centre will be starting VERY soon!!!!

Hullmark centre will be NYCC's tallest for a long time to come!... and it's first 150m + tower!!!

Posted by khristopher on UT:

Hullmark Centre is a multi-use urban centre situated on a significant urban node in Metropolitan Toronto at the intersection of two major arterial roads and two subway lines.

The design concept envisions two slender point towers set in rotation along the curvilinear sweep of a 5 storey commercial office podium. This sweep is accentuated by a concave environmental graphic media screen, which animates the Grand Plaza, increasing its year round usability and establishing an urban node as one of the key high density development sites in Toronto. The exo-skeleton structural fin element, lined with programmed lighting that works with the graphic screen, provides synchronised artistic effects and establishes an iconic visual identity for this development.

The mixed-use podium creates a backdrop for the grade-related retail, which includes a large-scale food emporium with direct access to the two subway lines below. The Yonge Street sidewalk has been sequentially expanded into the Grand Plaza and the ground level is lined with a clear glass base to express permeability with comfortable scaled pedestrian canopies lining the facades. All entrances are designed as identifiable ‘portals’; re-occurring elements signifying the entry points to the buildings.

The two point towers, which house 250,000 sq ft of prime commercial office space and 700 residential condo units, rotate in a cubist fashion opening up clear sightlines from the inside of the project into the community. The office component is integrated with a distinctive massing and façade treatment according to the philosophy of 'form follows function' as it adds an additional cubist base to the sculptural form of the project.

The roof area has been transformed into a major landscaped garden and green roof. Vistas from the entire neighborhood will be focused onto this landscaped open space totaling almost one acre in size. Following good urban design principles, vehicular and service access happen seamlessly and safely at grade, hidden from the major urban streets.

Source.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 2:11 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I have never heard of a height limit because of the airport in NYCC?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 9:39 PM

Bad news for me.. good news for some...

For me the bad news is that the curved tv has been removed from the plan now... I'm saddened by this cause now it looks a little dull and not as lively as the tv...

The building still looks fantastic though... just the plaza is a little less exciting

***and there probably is a height limit but i don't think anything over 200m will ever be built here... It's a god forsaken suburb!... But ya never know... I think NYCC deserves the 150m's proposed!.... it's great for the skyline!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
In regards to the earlier discussion about someone saying its just a suburb, I agree, there isn't really a comparison in the US. I've been all over the US.. From Rosslyn across from Georgetown in DC to Bellevue in Seattle, the office parks around the SF Bay area. Jersey City... There really aren't many American comparisons to make. Canada simply builds cities differently. Rosslyn is nice, but its a joke compared to NYCC. Its truly a city onto itself.
It's not a good comparison, that's why it's a joke. Rosslyn is just one urban village in a string of a few along a mile or two stretch. From east to west, in Arlington, the city where Rosslyn is located, it goes Rosslyn-Courthouse-Clarendon-Virginia Square-Ballston. I think NVCC is taller, longer and denser, but comparing Rosslyn to NVCC would be like looking at one-third of that Buckhead photo and trying to make a comparison.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:51 AM

Toronto is such a beast of a city. Its size and scale never ceases to amaze me.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Toronto is such a beast of a city. Its size and scale never ceases to amaze me.
Huge for a Canadian city

It's Toronto's suburbs that are scary!... There's SO many city centres popping out of nowhere and they have become "little downtowns" in their own sense...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:33 PM
West Mobile

Awesome

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:56 PM

WOW!! NYCC's skyline looks more dense and built up than many downtowns here in the US!! If I didn't know any better, I thought I'd be looking at the skyline of a major US city.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 6:06 PM

Gibson Square is another project coming shortly to North York. Two 42-storey towers located a few blocks north of the above-pictured Hullmark.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah!... gibson is a really sweet/tall project!... Can't wait!

This is NYCC's boom years for really tall projects.. not to mention Emerald Park going across the street for Hullmark!!!... It's by Bazis (the same group the did/failed at 1 Bloor)

A very interesting project but i'm not sure if it's gonna work out...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 9:26 PM
All-American City Boy

Small world

this resembles the business parks in Chicago with a good view to downtown
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 8:45 PM

North York is just boooming!!!!!

Here's a new project proposed at Yonge north of Steeles...

It's called World on Yonge by Liberty Developments... It is planned to be built on top of the existing North Yonge Marketplace... (Galleria Supermarket)...

Massive project with nice height!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 6:05 PM
Give us a kiss

That last pano in the initial post is really impressive.
When I went to NYCC two years ago I felt its linearity was hurting the "downtown feel" a bit though -- it would be more walkable if it could grow sideways and not just along Yonge. Hopefully this starts happening soon.

On the other hand, those "new york" towers near the 401 are a disgrace. How sad that these are the first tall buildings you see driving from Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
On the other hand, those "new york" towers near the 401 are a disgrace. How sad that these are the first tall buildings you see driving from Montreal.
Scarborough has a smattering of mid-range skyscrapers with more on the way, so that should be your first view of highrises coming in from the east.
But I agree with your sentiments about the New York Towers. How that shite was ever approved requires a formal inquiry.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 2:07 AM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Scarborough has a smattering of mid-range skyscrapers with more on the way, so that should be your first view of highrises coming in from the east.
But I agree with your sentiments about the New York Towers. How that shite was ever approved requires a formal inquiry.
Fair enough, I only drove down the 401 a couple times and obviously these stuck to memory, though for the wrong reasons! I remember checking the website soon afterwards, it was hilariously delusional.
I hope these new Scarborough buildings you're mentioning will drown out this tacky first impression.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 2:24 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

DC comparison?

Dulles - Herndon - Reston - Tysons - Falls Church - Ballston - Rossyln in DC would look like this (and more) if they were scrunched together along a single street.

btw great pics!!

Last edited by dc_denizen; Dec 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
Fair enough, I only drove down the 401 a couple times and obviously these stuck to memory, though for the wrong reasons! I remember checking the website soon afterwards, it was hilariously delusional.
I hope these new Scarborough buildings you're mentioning will drown out this tacky first impression.
Scarborough is a few km to the east. Unfortunately, the New York Towers couldn't possibly be situated more prominently. They stand on a sort of elevated piece of land. They are the first things you see on the 401 as you enter the Don Valley from the east, and they are the first things you see coming around the corner from the west, east of Yonge St.
Alas, they ain't going anywhere. A solution with which I would be happy is for the plastic ornamental faux-Chrysler crowns to be removed somehow. The buildings themselves aren't all that bad. It's the crowns that are sub-Vegas kitsch.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:49 AM

Is World from a Russian developer? Couldn't help but notice the Cyrillic lettering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos