HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:25 PM

[Dartmouth] Wright's Cove | 19 m | 6 fl | Completed

Rendering(s):

Name: Wright's Cove
Height: 19m
Floors: 6
Use(s): Residential
District: 9 (Albro Lake - Harbourview)
Year Completed:
Developer(s): Gary Hill
Architect(s): Innovative Architects
Notes:

April 12, 2010 Public information meeting
(Back-up meeting date in case of inclement weather is April 19)
Northbrook Community Centre, multi-purpose room
2 Chapman Street, Dartmouth - 7:00 p.m.

Case 15952 - Application by Innovation Architects Ltd. for lands of 3030558 Nova Scotia Limited to enter into a development agreement to permit a 6 storey multi-unit residential building on PIDs 00099689, 00099705, 00099721 and 00099739. The subject properties are located between Basinview Drive, Windmill Road and Wrights Cove (in the vicinity of the Dartmouth Yacht Club).

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 9:14 PM

My god, why would anyone want to live in an apartment on that part of Windmill Road? Sure, on the backside you have the basin -- but on the street side you have one of the busiest arteries in the area. Hope it has a big setback and lots of screening from the street.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
My god, why would anyone want to live in an apartment on that part of Windmill Road? Sure, on the backside you have the basin -- but on the street side you have one of the busiest arteries in the area. Hope it has a big setback and lots of screening from the street.
Probably will be very well setback. He owns the four waterfront lots that stretch from Windmill Road to the end of Basinview Drive.

The five households on Basinview Drive will probably scream bloody murder over the proposal (like some did against Harbour Isle).

Given the layout of the lots I'd say an hockey stick shape building abutting the water with plenty of buffer space from Basinview Drive. The main entrance will probably face Windmill Road with a parking lot seperating them.

Really given the location the quality of the building does not matter in this case since it will not be visible from any viewpoint. All I can dream of is a path along the waterfront and HRM purchasing a few metres on Windmill Road for a bus lane and sidewalk (if they haven't already).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:35 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 8:35 PM

Public Information Meeting

April 12th, 2010
Northbrook Commnity Centre
Dartmouth

Case: 15952
Attendance: 20-25 people

PROPERTY INFO:
  • PID(s) - 00099739, 00099721, 00099705, 00099689
    Owner - Gary Hill
    Legacy Builder(s) (same company responible for Legacy Court, Sack. See Suburban Dev. thread for photos)

BUILDING INFO:
  • 10ft/fl X 5fl + 12ft pent = 62ft/19m
    2fl underground parking (2'-22' elevation)
    Footprint - 299' X 66'
    Rectangular with slight curve
    Roughly parallel to Basinview Dr
    Suburban style design
    Stucco brick and/or stone and/or precast concrete
    Rental units (despite attempts no range given)

NON-BUILDING INFO:
  • Space allocated for future waterfront trail to south-east
    12' width reserved for Windmill Road widening
    Acess off of Windmill Rd
    setback from Windmill Rd (required)
    future commercial development
    Infill with rock strengthened coast

CONCERNS (NMO):
  • Sunlight
    Traffic
    Views
    Height
    Infill
    Compatibility
    Wetland Impact
    Infill

In addition to talk of the development itself there was talk of the Dartmouth Yacht Club infilling the tiny cove/swamp this property to expand their marina services.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:58 PM

They now have the renderings and site plan up on the details page;

Case 15952 Details

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:09 PM

I see that the renderings were done by "Innovative Architects". I'd say that the design is anything but.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
I see that the renderings were done by "Innovative Architects". I'd say that the design is anything but.
LOL... how true. It looks like every other low-rise apartment building built around here in the last 10 years. Horrid.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 9:05 AM

Wow - if I tried to send that through the Planning Commission here in Calgary; my bosses and the members would hand my ass to me. This would be a fail on epic levels.

Not that it already isn't. Wow; I lost track of the things I'd change.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 2:35 PM

This is apparently going to be the fastest project to ever go through council ... Theres a public hearing scheduled for October 7th even though the PIM was only in April! (not a bad thing but just unusually fast).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This is apparently going to be the fastest project to ever go through council ... Theres a public hearing scheduled for October 7th even though the PIM was only in April! (not a bad thing but just unusually fast).
Why do the average projects get approved so quickly whereas the tall interesting ones drag on for years? PS: This is just a rhetorical question - I already know the answer.

Last edited by fenwick16; Aug 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 4:09 AM

It’s bombs away for Burnside complex
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 25 - 4:53 AM

The builder of a Burnside Park area apartment complex has been ordered to sweep the property for unexploded bombs before starting construction.

"I must say I have never heard of such a thing, but it is the requirement, so of course I will comply," architect and developer K.J. Ghandi said in an interview Friday.

Halifax Regional Municipality requires a search for unexploded military ordnance for developments in the Wrights Cove area.

A staff report cites concern about unexploded ammunitions following an explosion in the 1940s at the nearby Magazine Hill military installation.

"It seems like a useless and futile exercise. If there was unexploded ordinance on the property it would surely have been detected by now," said Ghandi.

The developer’s proposal for a six-storey, 70-unit residential complex and adjacent commercial development, facing Windmill Road, goes to Harbour East community council for a public hearing on Oct. 4.

Ghandi said he was contacted by the military about the requirement for a sweep of the property and tentatively arranged to have it conducted prior to his anticipated Spring 2011 construction start.

He said he’s holding off on the bomb search until the project is approved.

Ghandi is an architect and his company, Innovation Architects, designed the development, and his other company, Legacy Home Builders Ltd., will handle construction at the site, located between Windmill Road, Basinview Drive and Wrights Cove.

Another significant development in Wrights Cove is also scheduled to move forward in the spring. Project manager Dan Dean said a search for unexploded ammunition was previously conducted at the site of the 12-storey residential complex, planned by Harbour Isle Halifax Incorporated.

"Just a small corner of our property is within the zone but we still had to search the entire for unexploded ordinance," he said.

Dean said the proximity of this proposed development to Bedford Basin also required an underwater search.

"A team of navy divers came in and they conducted a sweep of the area and gave it the all-clear," he said.

The Harbour Isle development has gone through several fits and starts over the years. In a previous incarnation it was known as Sheppards Island condominiums.

Dean said additional details of this latest development effort for the Windmill Road site were to be released in coming weeks.

"We’re not expecting any difficulties on this phase of development, as a 12-storey residential complex was previously approved," he said.

The developers of Harbour Isle recently completed a waterfront walkway at the site.

"This was to encourage people to come down and see the beauty of the location," said Dean.

( bpower@herald.ca )

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 4:11 PM

This goes for approval tonight at HECC. Seeing no major reason for rejection I think its safe to say it will be approved unanimously (unless the local residents have a few good points).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:32 PM
we built this city

Its too tall, think of the children, the shadows will ruin the area, it will block the view, its uneconomical.

Spin the wheel of b/s reasons to be against any development!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Its too tall, think of the children, the shadows will ruin the area, it will block the view, its uneconomical.
Spin the wheel of b/s reasons to be against any development!
Yea, plants need sunlight to grow (it's called photosynthesis people, hello!), and so do the children... Won't somebody please THINK OF THE PLANTS AND THE CHILDREN!!!!!

Everyone knows we don't need buildings over 4 stories, and anything newer then the 70's. New buildings are just not feasible, or economical these days... You need 100 year old rotting buildings to be competitive in today's market. That's what brings businesses here, not fair development rules, business incentives etc. Lord knows that won't help.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 5:09 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Yea, plants need sunlight to grow (it's called photosynthesis people, hello!), and so do the children... Won't somebody please THINK OF THE PLANTS AND THE CHILDREN!!!!!

Everyone knows we don't need buildings over 4 stories, and anything newer then the 70's. New buildings are just not feasible, or economical these days... You need 100 year old rotting buildings to be competitive in today's market. That's what brings businesses here, not fair development rules, business incentives etc. Lord knows that won't help.
these poor children, faced with the menace, no, spectre of evil developers... plotting to ruin our perfect litte town, cough, i mean city with their tall buildings.

and business... isn't there enough of it going on? why do we need our economy to grow? its evil too... and i don't completely understand it, but i'll be against it. we don't need any new jobs, toronto is the place for that. in fact, the whole generation y should be forced to move there because we don't want our population to grow because then where will we park? even though we are supposedly against cars... so get rid of them too. might as well just turn downtown into green space, because we don't have enough of that. lets get rid of electricity and running water while we are at it!

(the sarcasm game is fun... but alot of our comments aren't far from the reality of what we hear from the NIMBYS and obstructionists)

I remember one guy saying "we are the old generation so we will stop all development" in reference to the original 16 story 6955 bayers proposal.

NEWSFLASH THERE BUDDY, i'm part of that generation y getting screwed out of halifax... and when we all come back (with money), we plan to build towers... Boo yah!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 1:34 PM

Not to interrupt the sarcasm going on but it is confirmed that this project was APPROVED last night.

Only a few people (mostly with the last name of Shoemaker I beleive) have any chance of appealing the project so there is a small chance NSUARB will have the final say on the project.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 2:57 PM

From CBC...

Apartments slated for Dartmouth waterfront
Homeowners in Wright's Cove not happy
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 | 9:47 AM AT Comments7Recommend3CBC News
Developers have cleared a hurdle for a 70-unit apartment building on the Dartmouth waterfront, near the busy Burnside industrial park.

The Harbour East community council approved the proposal in a 3-2 vote Monday.

The six-storey building is slated for Wright's Cove, across from the Dartmouth Yacht Club. The driveway would merge with Windmill Road, one of the area's busiest commuter routes.

The original plan called for a 12-storey complex, but it was eventually shrunk to six floors.

Even so, the municipal councillor for the area, Jim Smith, argued the development doesn't fit with the handful of houses that are there now. He voted against the plan.

"If there weren't some small residential homes there then it probably wouldn't be an issue," he said. "To me, I still don't think it's compatible with those three or four homes."

Homeowner Ed Schumacher doesn't want a 70-unit apartment complex in his neighbourhood.

"You're talking a 100-foot-high building in my backyard. There's huge privacy issues. It's not just my backyard, it's my next-door neighbour's backyard and any potential next-door neighbours," he said.

Schumacher is also worried about the potential traffic tie-ups, particularly during the morning rush hour. He said he believes the issue wasn't thoroughly considered.

Homeowners say they hope to appeal the council's decision to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz11Uqs0JFf

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:38 PM

Not really notable but two ammendments were added to the DA. One has to do with the start of construction and the other has to do with privacy issues local residents were concerned about.

1. that Item 7.3.1 "In the event that development on the Lands has not commenced within 5 years..." be changed to "In the event that development on the Lands has not commenced within 2 years..."

2. the opaque screen to adjacent properties must consist of a six foot tall solid board opaque wood fence

P.S. thanks Someone123 for updating the thread titles.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 4:55 AM
we built this city

lol, i thought it was a bit of a stretch with my sarcasm above.

These people are really complaining about a 6 story building, bhahahahahahahahahahhahaha. I can't even believe what I'm reading.

What a joke...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs