HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I'm wondering why? Next to an LRT station, on an arterial road, adjacent to a major greenspace, in area slated for high rise development?
and within walking distance to dozens of fine restaurants, right across from a beautiful pathway system, close to the arboretum... not just a logical location...it's a very livable location! it's perfect!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I'm wondering why? Next to an LRT station, on an arterial road, adjacent to a major greenspace, in area slated for high rise development?
My case in point is the tower of mogdor in Westboro known as Metropolis, or whatever its called. It just doesn't fit. It too is next to major transport and greenspace, it adds a lot of intensification. Hardly reasons it should be there.

I am very supportive of intensification. I don't think you need to build towers which are 10 times the size of its neighbours to accomplish this though. There is a lot of space to build some ranges of 10-20 storey buildings in all in most of Ottawa's neighbourhoods which would support intensification while building an reasonable addition which integrates into these neighbourhoods.

If I may add to your comment regarding Carling being an arterial road. This artery is nearing life support, and if Claridge or anyone else wants to plop 500 more people onto it, they should foot the bill to support its growth rather than simply attaching to it like a parasite.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:44 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
My case in point is the tower of mogdor in Westboro known as Metropolis, or whatever its called. It just doesn't fit. It too is next to major transport and greenspace, it adds a lot of intensification. Hardly reasons it should be there.
I live in Westboro, I can see the Metropolis from my window, and I have absolutely no problem with its height. What is really stupid about that project is the uneven, unbalanced density — they had a huge parcel of land, and they built a 30+ storey building surrounded by crappy townhouses completely unintegrated with the Transitway station right beside it. It's a suburban car-oriented development devoid of street-level activity. Go out there and take a walk or bike ride around, and you'll see it is a completely wrong interpretation of intensification.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 4:25 PM

it's the MetroPOLE

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 4:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Oh, don't worry. It won't seem out of place once the Fendor site is redeveloped (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193282). And what about the former CBC site on Lanark Ave... isn't that planned to have some height as well?
Somebody has to be the first.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:

I am very supportive of intensification. I don't think you need to build towers which are 10 times the size of its neighbours to accomplish this though. There is a lot of space to build some ranges of 10-20 storey buildings in all in most of Ottawa's neighbourhoods which would support intensification while building an reasonable addition which integrates into these neighbourhoods.

If I may add to your comment regarding Carling being an arterial road. This artery is nearing life support, and if Claridge or anyone else wants to plop 500 more people onto it, they should foot the bill to support its growth rather than simply attaching to it like a parasite.
Carling on life support? It is a 6 lane road in the shadow of the Queensway there (presumably built to its current cross section in the pre-Queensway days when it truly was the main artery in the west end), so I don't notice any significant congestion, especially from Bronson to Kirkwood.

By adding buildings like this, the corridor is revitalized as a lot of older decrepit buildings are removed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
That's not a proper comparison AT ALL! The Metropole is an interesting anomaly that is certainly out of place visually, but the Icon is being proposed in an area where there are already six + towers under construction,approved, and proposed. This will simply be the tallest of the cluster if it's built, giving the area some attractive definition.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:19 AM

Agreed. This is not going to be a solitary tower in a field.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:09 PM

I love the idea of height in Ottawa - it's about times we stopped building the 12-15 level condos that end up looking like a cube. But why does it have to be a garbage builder like Claridge? Are they going to wow purchasers with the same specs that they've had circa 2000 which all of their other projects have?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:18 PM

The area they want to put this up in, is going to have a drastic change in it's skyline before this year alone. I think it's got a decent shot at being approved, although I'm sure it won't be allowed to pass that 27 storey barrier this city seems to impose on just about everything.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:26 PM

They need to get past that barrier, especially since it has no impact on places like the Peace Tower. Building it to 42, or 52 storeys for that matter, would not have any negative impact.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:34 PM

i have a good feeling it will be approved as is...and if it does, it's going to mean good things for future developments outside of the parliament sightlines. i need to see something this tall built before diane holmes goes completely senile...the newspaper quotes would be so amazing!!!!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 10:31 PM

Dow Honda to be gone within 2 years. This will add to the future landscape the developer might be trying to envision:

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...edevelopment/1

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Dow Honda to be gone within 2 years. This will add to the future landscape the developer might be trying to envision:

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...edevelopment/1
2years? Did you not read that it's Richcraft buying it? It'll be a vacant and boarded-up rot into the next decade.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:43 AM

Damn, I forgot! I'm gonna squate there once the Civics and Accords move out. Screw this rent-paying BS!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Damn, I forgot! I'm gonna squate there once the Civics and Accords move out. Screw this rent-paying BS!
Make lemonade my good S-Man.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I live in Westboro, I can see the Metropolis from my window, and I have absolutely no problem with its height. What is really stupid about that project is the uneven, unbalanced density — they had a huge parcel of land, and they built a 30+ storey building surrounded by crappy townhouses completely unintegrated with the Transitway station right beside it. It's a suburban car-oriented development devoid of street-level activity. Go out there and take a walk or bike ride around, and you'll see it is a completely wrong interpretation of intensification.
While you make some valid points as per usual, lets not forget how the Metropole development came to be in its currents form. If you recall Minto had submitted an application for three 12 storyish condo towers on the property; at which point the CA & NIMBYS freaked and demanded (ironically/surprisingly) one tall tower to lessen the views blocked of the river from up on the Churchill escarpment, etc..

Also, it will be interesting to see what position the city takes on this and how they try to defend their position; it will likely be a precedent for future developments in the inner-city outlying the CBD. Its specifically interesting as the property does not lie on a Parliament sight-line, does not have residential neighbours adjunct, its close to rapid transit, along Ottawa's main road arterial and a km from HWY417, 2km to CBD, Carling is about to be resurfaced and may potentially receive LRT or alternative transportation, Preston just had its century old piping retrofitted and can now support the emerging demands being placed on the area.

Last edited by Luker; Jun 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:12 PM
Mooderator

If it does get approved at 42 storeys, would it be visible from the 417 westbound (near Anderson Rd) I wonder?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
If it does get approved at 42 storeys, would it be visible from the 417 westbound (near Anderson Rd) I wonder?

I would wager you'll see it from the top of the huntclub overpass at the very least...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:18 PM

It will look amazing, along with the other projects proposed, when viewed from the hilltop between March Road and Moodie Drive...Ottawa's Skylines actually looks pretty awesome from this vantage point at night...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa