HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Hell yeah man, every other girl is drop dead gorgeous in Oakland, especially this time of year when the short shorts come out. Theres going to be three college girls living in the same house as me too, they have a separate apartment but its still in the same house.
This is greatest time of year in Oakland, for sure. Skin is in once again.

3 college girls living in your building... let us live vicariously through you. We want stories... and I'm thinking you should set up some hidden cameras. Ha, just kidding (not really).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyC View Post
Don't be leery! Embrace it! Greatest decision I ever made was to live in Oakland. I'm almost 35 and still find myself with some new college girl each year... of course I am lucky though in that I still look around 26. Dunno, must be the millennial boys not being very mature. Either way, unless your damn near 50, I'd never discourage living in Oakland! Even then, I'd probably not.
I'm only four years older than you, but I'm married with two kids (the eldest seven now) so I've been out of that stage of my life for quite awhile now.

If I used Just For Men on my beard I could probably still pass for my 20s. It went from having no gray at all to 50% white within like a two year span from 31-32. So now on those rare occasions I check out a young women, they presume I'm a creepy old guy, instead of a creepy early middle-aged guy.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:46 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Removing the tables and chairs is a complete failure.

Market Square should be a public space and the public should be welcome... it shouldn't devolve into only a yuppie lunch terrace and it shouldn't devolve into only a meth/crackhead patio either.

The solution is very simple: security presence... a single cop, guard, park ranger, whoever... assigned there from 9AM to midnight.
There has been a police presence in past years, which never seemed to deter people sitting there all day drunk or drugged out of their minds. I rarely walk through the square without seeing police cars and officers on foot. If there's a seat in the shade with electrical outlets nearby, it will be a magnet for a specific element of society. The only way to deter it would be permanent (bolted down) seating in the middle or getting rid of the trees, both of which would be a step backward for the square.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdamon86 View Post
There has been a police presence in past years, which never seemed to deter people sitting there all day drunk or drugged out of their minds. I rarely walk through the square without seeing police cars and officers on foot.
Not really... cops are generally there when there is some type of event or during crowded lunchtime hours. They don't do anything as far as deterrence goes, just response. There has never been an assigned consistent security presence for the square -- that's why many of the restaurant owners are suggesting it.

Quote:
If there's a seat in the shade with electrical outlets nearby, it will be a magnet for a specific element of society.
People working on laptops?

Quote:
The only way to deter it would be permanent (bolted down) seating in the middle or getting rid of the trees, both of which would be a step backward for the square.
No, a constant security presence that actually does something will... closely monitoring situations and positioning themselves near the suspected offenders will deter it real quick.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:11 PM

Cool

Quote:
Not really... cops are generally there when there is some type of event or during crowded lunchtime hours. They don't do anything as far as deterrence goes, just response. There has never been an assigned consistent security presence for the square -- that's why many of the restaurant owners are suggesting it.

People working on laptops?

No, a constant security presence that actually does something will... closely monitoring situations and positioning themselves near the suspected offenders will deter it real quick.
Fair enough. I disagree, though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:35 PM

A second zoning agenda has landed this week, which isn't that strange, since the one last week was delayed to Monday for some reason.

The big news is Buncher is starting to move on the next phase of the redevelopment of its land behind the Terminal building - a four-story office building (yay?) with 150 surface parking spaces (boo!).

There's a number of other small projects.

1. Morgan's Barbecue in Lawrenceville is still winding its way through zoning.
2. The owner of a small apartment building in Squirrel Hill seeks to add four additional units as part of a renovation.
3. Two new attached houses in Upper Lawrenceville. It looks like three existing wood framed rowhouses are going to be demolished to make way for this.
4. One new house in an alley in central Lawrenceville.

I also saw when reviewing the building permits recently that two new houses are going up on a vacant lot in Squirrel Hill. It looks like the grand old house was demolished in 2011. It's a shame we lose historic gems like that even in the nicest neighborhoods, but honestly trading one big house on a large lot for two smaller ones is at least a marginal increase in density.

Edit: A demolition permit for East Liberty Gardens has also been put in within the past few weeks, so the new project there is continuing apace.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

The big news is Buncher is starting to move on the next phase of the redevelopment of its land behind the Terminal building - a four-story office building (yay?) with 150 surface parking spaces (boo!).
I think this development is for the lots on the western side of the 16th St. bridge, no?

I thought that was where Buncher was planning on building what looked to be 'office park-ish' with short buildings and surface lots. But I probably am not up to date on their plans in the Strip.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Fair enough. I disagree, though.
We'll see what happens, I guess. These are tricky situations for public space... what to do about the 'public' who inhabit the space.

That delicate balance between creating a sterile environment and allowing it to go to shit is tough to achieve. If people want to hang out there all day, there's nothing really wrong with that... you see that in a lot of cities... parks/plazas/etc. have the regulars who add some local flavor to the scene. But when the space is permitted to become a gathering spot for meth and crack heads... well, that local flavor starts to taste pretty nasty quickly. And you get reactive, poorly thought out band aid solutions like putting out and taking in many chairs and tables on a daily basis.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
I think this development is for the lots on the western side of the 16th St. bridge, no?

I thought that was where Buncher was planning on building what looked to be 'office park-ish' with short buildings and surface lots. But I probably am not up to date on their plans in the Strip.
Yeah, looks like it. The address places it at the corner of Smallman and 15th Street. Buncher's preliminary plans from 2015 called for an L shaped building here, with a lot facing Waterfront Place. That said, eyeballing it there's only around 65 spaces in that lot, so they must be counting most of the spaces as already existing in one of their other lots.

Regardless, it's so disappointing. If Three Crossings, Bakery Square, and South Side Works can make urban fringe office space with minimal surface parking work, Buncher should be able to as well.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:30 PM

So, there was an article linked from the WSJ elsewhere on the forum which focused on Baumhaus (behind paywall). Looking at the information available online for the building, the following seems to be true.

1. It has very expensive micros ($1,500 per month for 380 square feet).
2. Apparently you have the option of renting a single bedroom in a three bedroom apartment for between $1,104 and $1,219 per month.
3. The units come fully furnished, with weekly maid service that does cleaning, changes/washes your linens, and even refills your soap and shampoo.

This leads me to the conclusion the building is not catering to "young professionals" at all. Similar to what SkyVue developed into, and what the Empire seems likely to be, it's a glorified dorm. A high end privately-owned dorm for wealthy students, but a dorm nonetheless.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 19, 2017 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:15 PM
Ex Houstonian

1500 for a tiny loft? What do they think this is, NYC? I lived right in the heart of downtown Houston in a loft apartment on the 18th floor of a building and had a huge balcony and a sick view and it was only 750 4 years ago. I would live in a tiny loft if the price was like 500 a month, not 1500, that's nuts. I wish Pittsburgh had tiny ass loft apartments that were actually affordable. I'd live in one again in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
1500 for a tiny loft? What do they think this is, NYC? I lived right in the heart of downtown Houston in a loft apartment on the 18th floor of a building and had a huge balcony and a sick view and it was only 750 4 years ago. I would live in a tiny loft if the price was like 500 a month, not 1500, that's nuts. I wish Pittsburgh had tiny ass loft apartments that were actually affordable. I'd live in one again in a heartbeat.
As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if wealthy students are the target market. Not to stereotype, but I think there's a certain percentage of foreign students with wealthy backgrounds who attend CMU that this kind of building would be very appealing to. Whether that will be enough to carry the building (particularly given it's competing with SkyVue, Empire, and soon the new Forbes/Arby's tower as well) remains to be seen.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yeah I walked past Skyvue yesterday and there kids getting out of BMWs and I even saw one kid driving an effing Ferrari that went into the parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
^
Yeah I walked past Skyvue yesterday and there kids getting out of BMWs and I even saw one kid driving an effing Ferrari that went into the parking garage.
I saw a review recently for Morrow Park City Apartments that was from a mother who was paying her daughter's rent while she went to CMU. It makes me wish we had stats to see how many of these "young professional" units city wide are actually just rich kids.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Regardless, it's so disappointing. If Three Crossings, Bakery Square, and South Side Works can make urban fringe office space with minimal surface parking work, Buncher should be able to as well.
Yeah, it just doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever for them to propose the amount of surface parking that they have in those renderings. Bu then again, it is Buncher that we're talking about.

Quote:
So, there was an article linked from the WSJ elsewhere on the forum which focused on Baumhaus (behind paywall). Looking at the information available online for the building, the following seems to be true.

1. It has very expensive micros ($1,500 per month for 380 square feet).
2. Apparently you have the option of renting a single bedroom in a three bedroom apartment for between $1,104 and $1,219 per month.
3. The units come fully furnished, with weekly maid service that does cleaning, changes/washes your linens, and even refills your soap and shampoo.

This leads me to the conclusion the building is not catering to "young professionals" at all. Similar to what SkyVue developed into, and what the Empire seems likely to be, it's a glorified dorm. A high end privately-owned dorm for wealthy students, but a dorm nonetheless.
I'm not so sure that wealthy students are primarily in mind (though I'm sure they enter into it)... it seems that developers are betting on 20-something young professionals desiring more amenities and social opportunities than they are desiring space.

Not having to furnish an apartment, not having to set up or pay utilities, not having to clean up after yourself, etc. can be pretty enticing for a premium price. Throw in well-equipped common areas (party/movie room, bar, cafe/lounge area, roof deck, pool, gym, garden, etc), bike lockers, programming/activities, and a bunch of other young, good looking, affluent residents all in a sleek, modern package... and it's like Bachelor in Paradise on Baum Blvd.

It's almost a continuation of dorm living after you graduate, considering how plush many modern college dorms/college apartment buildings are now. I imagine certain amenities are now basically expected by young college grads to come with apartment living.

Quote:
If you're young, not from here, don't plan to stay too long, have $, want a convenient urban location, want to easily meet others to party/have sex with, etc... I can see it being a pretty attractive option, with little responsibility to go along with it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

Just heard on the news that Alcoa is moving its headquarters to Pittsburghs North Side.

Quote:
PITTSBURGH - Alcoa Corporation announced Wednesday that it will move its global headquarters and principal executive office to its existing location in Pittsburgh.

The company said it will consolidate administrative locations around the globe. It will close its New York City office and move its headquarters to Pittsburgh, effective Sept. 1.

Within the next 18 months, another seven administrative locations across the U.S., Europe and Asia will also close. Affected employees will relocate to remaining office locations or operating facilities or will telecommute.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories...urgh/514204643

Don't know if that will bring in a lot of new jobs, sounds like Alcoa isn't doing too hot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:09 PM

Only 10 people actually moving from NYC to Pittsburgh, but it may be symbolically important:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...ersion=pgevoke

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
No kidding. A suburban-style office park between Downtown and the Strip is not what we need there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:16 PM
Ex Houstonian

Buncher is still stuck in the 1980s, I don't get it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:31 AM

Even if it is only going to bring 10 employees back, it will be nice to have the corporate headquarters of Alcoa back in the area. I imagine those 10 employees are paid very well so the state and areas they move to will have a small positive impact on tax revenue. Are they still considered a Fortune 500 company at this point or has that ship sailed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations