HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:45 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Some new individual photos:

Infinity Tower

Marina 101

Elite Residence

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:48 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Pentominium

Damac Heights

23 Marina

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:52 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The Torch

Princess Tower

Ocean Heights

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:55 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Some general pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
23/October/2009

Dubai Marina , tallest block

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 4:32 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

OMG! Infinity looks amazing! I can't tell which part is the real cladding but I think it'll come out nice. I love that the tower is a hexagon instead of a square. One of the most original twisting towers.

Marina 101 looks so boring and dull. I don't understand who would wanna live in a building with 3 foot walls and small square windows. That's the thing I hate about the supertalls in the Marina. Princess Tower, Marina 101, Elite Residences, the Torch, all pretty boring. I hope they looks nicer when they begin to clad them more and the tops will sure make them interesting.

I'm really excited about Infinity and Pentominium. I can't wait until both are completed! I wonder how the skeleton of the Pentominium will look like!

Marina Heights had a lot of potential but I don't like the facade. It could've been the first 'masterpiece' of the Marina.

23 Marina will be a nice simple building. It'll be interesting to see them build those HUGE balconies with pools.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:17 AM

^Speaking of the Pentominium what's taking it so long to get out of the ground? The others seem like they're flying out especially Infinity Tower.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:27 PM

Infinity is rushing upwards like those workers are on steroids or something. It truly reminds me of when Burj Dubai was halfway up, and you couldn't see an update without at least a few floors having been added again!

Maybe that's why I was so surprised to see cladding on it already? Hm...

On a different note: I know most of these buildings have names, but have we heard any good nicks yet?
I vote for 23 Marina being called the "Hubble Space Telescope".

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 7:09 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Ocean Heights is still the fastest, and 23 Marina has picked up a lot of speed recently as well. Infinity Tower looks good but not as good as it could have since they've cut some corners with the cladding.

The pentominium will be great. Hopefully damac heights will follow as well, looks promising at the moment since at least they're building the perimeter wall and some soil testing, etc.

The pentominium is taking so long because, well, it started later. Also, it took pretty much a year of just testing since a tower of such height on such a small plot, and so slender as well has never been built before so it has to be done right or else. Infinity tower would actually have been close to topping out had that accident not happened with delayed things by a year.

23 Marina can easily be called the pencil tower

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:45 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Ocean Heights, the last floor has been reached. Not topped out though since there's a little extra fin or something on top.

Infinity Tower

The Torch, finally the next floor is being built.

Pentominium, good progress here.

Elite Residence, up another floor.

Marina 101. This boring box is growing quite quickly. Hopefully the cladding will start soon.

23 Marina, this has really been fast the past few weeks.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:47 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

General tallest block stuff

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:14 PM

Okay at this point, I'm definitely going to have to say I really hope some mid-sized buildings get built around this cluster to balance it out because as it is, it looks unnaturally dense.

It's not even the closeness of the tall towers, it's their homogeneity, and the total lack of anything visually interesting at the middle or lower levels. If most cities are made to resemble a diverse forest with a canopy, understory and floor, this is just an oasis with ten palm trees packed close together.

...it's like a suburban cookie-cutter neighborhood, except with cookie-cutter skyscrapers. All buildings and no city.

I think Dubai could be better, but for now it really lacks mid-rises.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:47 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I don't think anything substantial will get built there soon though since only stuff still under construction will get built. Nobody is launching new projects (well, very few anyway).

The whole of Dubai Marina is like a suburban neighbourhood (a very large one). The reason is that very little of this crazy development over the past few years has been infill. Instead there were lots of master-developments such as the burj dubai district, dubai marina, etc where smaller developers bought plots to build towers, or midrises. There are midrises in the marina by the way. The reason why all the biggest towers are clustered together is Emaar (the master developer of the marina) noticed all the towers were being built up to the maximum height allowed by their plots so they decided "hey, if we make these plots unlimited height then we can sell the land for more" so they did, and now we have 300, 400 and 500m towers all clustered together. Why they didn't spread these unlimited height plots around the marina is beyond me.

At least with the metro, people can cross from the marina to jumeirah lake towers by foot using the foot bridges.

Princess Tower, The Torch, Elite Residence and Marina 101 are definitely cookie cutter. Infinity Tower, Pentominium and Ocean Heights are great though.

A picture from inside the marina.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:05 AM

This is all simply incredible...last time I was in Dubai was 2005, and less than half of these buildings exsisted at all beyond being a construction site or hole in the ground...This city is going up so fast it's crazy!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The Torch and Princess Tower

The Torch and 23 Marina

Infinity Tower (cladding falling behind)

Ocean Heights

Damac Heights

Marina 101

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Elite Residence, Marina 101, Sulafa Tower and Ocean Heights

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:04 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The Torch and Princess Tower

Ocean Heights and 23 Marina

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Marina 101 and Elite Residence

Infinity Tower and Damac Heights

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 10:27 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

These excellent pictures were posted by Dubai Steve on SSC

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
Mile High City

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
These excellent pictures were posted by Dubai Steve on SSC

I really like the building in the middle. The orange hued building. Anyone know what it is called??

Nice finds.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That last shot is the best angle of Ocean Heights I've seen yet. From some angles the curve looks awkard, but from there it soars and twists nicely.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive