HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Currently, the road running north/south through Stampede Park is called Stampede Trail, but going north out of the park, it is called Olympic Way, and that turns into 4 Street, which when the underpass is built, will be a continuous road from the Bow River to the south edge of Stampede Park. I hope that the roadway will get treated to one single name, like 4 Street or something because it is my pet peeve that continious roadways in this city have all sorts of names!
You'd have gone bonkers in London a few hundred years ago, where every street had it's own name, ie: Walk down Masons Lane and it becomes Friars Mews, then Cornhall St, then Abbey Close, then Puddle Dock -- all without turning a corner.

I've heard they've really sorted out a lot of the street names over the years so a contiguous street keeps it's name for the whole length, but there are still some single-block streets that come together at odd angles so four, five or even six different street names converge in one intersection.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I think this is the bridge you mean.

Interesting story. I didn't realize the full history of that bridge.
You just can't hide anything from Google!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Well I'm suspecting that we'll probably see Olympic Way disappear, since the Stampede is calling the retail development Stampede Trail, which would then make sense to rename at least the 12th ave to 14th ave section to that, leaving the 12th to 10th as Olympic way at the most. And since 10th ave will be cut off from 4th street anyways, that leaves potentially a single block left with that old name
10th Ave is going to be cut off from 4 Street? For heaven's sake, why?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Smart drivers at the time knew if they made it up the Big Hill and over the Pass to Lake Louise, they'd better pull into town, park at the nearest garage, go for lunch or a snack & let the engine cool off. If the car started again, fill up on gas & water before continuing on to Calgary. More than a few cars didn't pass this test, so while the garage repaired the car, the family spent a day (or so) enjoying the local scenery.
There's a few roads in BC where some older vehicles should still be doing this haha. Mainly: the Snowshed hill on the Coquihalla (Highway 5) and the initial climb out of the Okanagan on the Coquihalla Connector (Highway 97C). I've lost count of how many cars I've seen broken down along those hills. There's been at least 3 cars on fire as we drove up and a few burned out wrecks too! There was also a stalled out truck in the right lane going up the hill that didn't have a chance to pull over, making for some real mayhem for the other trucks crawling up the steep grade.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
10th Ave is going to be cut off from 4 Street? For heaven's sake, why?
The required grades to get 4th underneath all the railway right of way (theres 4 CPR tracks, and reserved space for 2 LRT, and 1 HSR track) puts the depth too far down and stretching too far south to make it back up before the intersection at 10th. So they opted to turn 10th into an 'urban plaza' coul-de-sac as the other option of lowering 10th wouldn't work due to the existing buildings there.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure