HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I have never thought Austin would land HQ2. But we may have a better chance at HQ2 than an MLS team that was handed to the city for the taking.
If Austin doesn't land it, it will most likely be due to not having more robust public transportation...as Austin lines up very well with everything else. I would be surprised if the recently leaked transit plans were not previously shared with Amazon. That plan might be enough to keep the issue at bay...if Amazon reasonably believes that it can get done.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I have never thought Austin would land HQ2. But we may have a better chance at HQ2 than an MLS team that was handed to the city for the taking.
We'll land it if Amazon always wanted us in the first place. Which is a possibility.

If it's truly a competition about all the criteria they specified, then it will land someplace else.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:55 AM

This was mentioned in a Canadian HQ2 thread today and Amazon contacted a Toronto radio station this evening to deny it.

Quote:
"I'm just hearing that Toronto is definitely in the running, and definitely in the lead," says Toronto city councillor Michelle Holland...But even she admitted it would be a long shot that Toronto would actually land the mega-complex, and it would likely go to Austin, Texas instead.
http://www.iheartradio.ca/chum-fm/lo...-hq2-1.3642661

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
This was mentioned in a Canadian HQ2 thread today and Amazon contacted a Toronto radio station this evening to deny it.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/chum-fm/lo...-hq2-1.3642661
I've been saying that all along. It is between Austin and Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post

Chart graphic from the article:

This is the BIGGEST factor and everyone is silent. Compared to most other big cities, Amazon will be able to pay LESS to their employees and the employees will be able to live LARGER. This is about Amazon's bottom line. I have no idea why this is not discussed more.

Also, Amazon will not get fucked with like they will in other cities/states. Little/no unions, less taxes, business friendly state, but with a liberal vibe that will draw employees. All this on the cheap.

Sure the COA/nimbys will stick their noses in here and there, but basically, I don't see how the COA council can fuck this up so long as Amazon's developer doesn't need variances. And we have plenty of space that won't need much if any special council action, Catalyst notwithstanding. Even if Austin offers zero incentives (which i think would be the case), it will still be cheaper to locate here than in DC, Boston, etc....and Texas will offer them something.

A client of mine from NYC said it was cheaper for him to buy a home in Austin for just over $1m, establish residency, then exercise his options in a large company he co-founded.....than sell them with his current NYC residency. He would escape the city/state income tax. He now plans to sell the house for $400k profit in 4 years.

It's hard to underestimate how expensive it is to live in these other coastal cities. It is not just rent/mortgage...it's everything from milk to gasoline to registering your car.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
This is the BIGGEST factor and everyone is silent. Compared to most other big cities, Amazon will be able to pay LESS to their employees and the employees will be able to live LARGER. This is about Amazon's bottom line. I have no idea why this is not discussed more.

Also, Amazon will not get fucked with like they will in other cities/states. Little/no unions, less taxes, business friendly state, but with a liberal vibe that will draw employees. All this on the cheap.

Sure the COA/nimbys will stick their noses in here and there, but basically, I don't see how the COA council can fuck this up so long as Amazon's developer doesn't need variances. And we have plenty of space that won't need much if any special council action, Catalyst notwithstanding. Even if Austin offers zero incentives (which i think would be the case), it will still be cheaper to locate here than in DC, Boston, etc....and Texas will offer them something.

A client of mine from NYC said it was cheaper for him to buy a home in Austin for just over $1m, establish residency, then exercise his options in a large company he co-founded.....than sell them with his current NYC residency. He would escape the city/state income tax. He now plans to sell the house for $400k profit in 4 years.

It's hard to underestimate how expensive it is to live in these other coastal cities. It is not just rent/mortgage...it's everything from milk to gasoline to registering your car.
Yep. I still regard Boston and DC as probably the biggest competition in this. But in this aspect, Austin crushes them.

As an aside, NIMBYs and whatever other politics are an issue no matter where you go. I would image that larger entities like Amazon prepare for it...at least to some extent. They should not be caught by surprise when they have to deal with it. (Off topic: Although, I'm getting the impression that Precourt was a bit caught off guard by the amount of pushback they're getting.)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:00 AM

Final submissions to Amazon from the 20 finalists due March 1st.

Amazon to select "Winner" this summer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-for-info.html

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 6:48 PM

Be interested to see if there's an interim list developed between now and summertime -- a shorter short list.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Final submissions to Amazon from the 20 finalists due March 1st.

Amazon to select "Winner" this summer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-for-info.html

I feel like this has turned into some sort of beauty pageant competition.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:41 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:22 AM

Spoke with a developer today. FWIW, he's bearish on it coming to Austin simply because he doesn't think the city will sniff the incentives of others. He sees the DC area as a good fit. Also, he tends to believe if HQ2 does come to Austin, it will be at Broadmoor (have confirmed this was one of the the proposed sites - as we all have speculated)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:42 AM

I’ve started to call these articles “Or Austin, Texases” — where they name an HQ2 front runner or two but always follow with a variant of “or it could be Austin, TX.” No one wants to argue explicitly for us as the #1 choice, but it’s also a foregone conclusion that we’re easily #2.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I’ve started to call these articles “Or Austin, Texases” — where they name an HQ2 front runner or two but always follow with a variant of “or it could be Austin, TX.” No one wants to argue explicitly for us as the #1 choice, but it’s also a foregone conclusion that we’re easily #2.
Very true. Although, I wouldn't read too much into this article. "Housing analysts" aren't who I'd poll. They know little about Amazon's business needs.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I feel like this has turned into some sort of beauty pageant competition.
It's always been a beauty pageant.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:21 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Spoke with a developer today. FWIW, he's bearish on it coming to Austin simply because he doesn't think the city will sniff the incentives of others. He sees the DC area as a good fit. Also, he tends to believe if HQ2 does come to Austin, it will be at Broadmoor (have confirmed this was one of the the proposed sites - as we all have speculated)
It's been said for a long time...Austin is not getting it. Never really had a chance - to be honest.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:10 AM

The Georgia legislature just nixed a planned 40 million annual tax cut for Delta because the airline severed their ties with the NRA.

That is certainly the right of the Georgia government but I don't think Amazon could commit to HQ2 in Atlanta knowing that liberal political stances could negatively cost them tax breaks. It doesn't help that the Georgia Senate passed a measure that gives adoption agencies the right not to work with LGBTQ couples. I guess I'm changing my pick to DC or Maryland with Boston as the (relative) dark horse.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:15 AM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Seriously, can we get Houston out of there?

I disagree with Pool, but at least she knows what the hell is going on.

Houston is blatantly incompetent.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:57 AM

She really isn't keeping up.

Quote:
In a written statement, Council Member Ora Houston said: “I was aware that there was interest in Austin for an Amazon headquarters, and that the Austin chamber was interested in bringing Amazon to Austin, beyond that I know what the media has reported. I am not sure what the process has been and didn’t see the letter from the mayor that some have referenced.”
https://www.mystatesman.com/business...WsgGR8NJNIM7N/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 6:05 PM

https://twitter.com/SXUnofficial/sta...33809871376384

Probably complete BS, but how awesome would this be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin