HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Owen Sound: The Sound that Owen Makes
Ajax: The Foaming Cleanser
Scugog: Like it Sounds.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A good thought. Another thought is that it could be a wave - the tidal bore perhaps???

Quote:
The stylized graphic of the City of Moncton’s logo is comprised of three wave shapes, each a different colour. The blue is representative of the river, connection to tidal forces, sky, and maritime breezes. The green represents the grass of our tidal marshlands, the City’s parks and common areas, as well as our commitment to the environment. The red represents the earth, the passion we have for our community, and our unique cultural heritage.

The shape of each wave underlines the importance of the river in the City’s development. The three waves also merge together to create a stylized star, which forms a powerful representation of both our Acadian heritage and the positive attitude of Monctonians. Together the graphic as a whole creates a feeling of forward movement and momentum.

Our new identity is a mix of elegance and simplicity, projecting a dynamic, event-like feeling that creates a positive impression for, and about, our community.
It just makes me think of a sea anemone.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:27 PM

That Sainte Anne one is pretty damn nice. Pointe Claire too.

Last edited by megadude; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Conrad Black is a tidal bore.

A giant wave of boredom descends upon those that listen to his bloviating bullshit.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:37 PM

Wow that Moncton description is as generic as it gets. I see none of that in the logo. I just see a hot mess.

I just want them to say, we picked a random shape and put three of them together.

I don't know how TO's is described by some marketing guru on their website, but I don't want to hear anything other than the image is City Hall and blue represents the colour of the flag of Toronto. That's it.

Kingston's meaning should be: the water is for Lake Ontario, and the picture is City Hall.

None of this community spirit, devotion to the environment BS. Those are real things that a city can and many do embrace, which is a good thing. Just don't tell me that there's like 10 different meanings in your logo. What happened is that someone took like 2 or 3 ideas relevant to the city and then designed a logo. Stop attaching a dozen more meanings to it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:38 PM
arf

^I'm having a really hard time seeing a star. Especially a five pointed one.

Of course there's Regina: Infinite Horizons

Source: creativeoptionsregina.ca

I can sort of see the stylized infinity symbol. But that's all we're got. No river, no ocean, no nature (unless you count vast stretches of agricultural monoculture.) I suppose we have a slough, that is fed by a fetid creek.

Although it is better than the I <3 Regina, New York rip off that a previous mayor tried to go with...

Source: Discover the history of I Love Regina

Every time I see it, I just think "I love plaigarism."

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:07 PM

^ Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:18 PM
arf

Of course, without the I <3 Regina advertising, I wouldn't have snapped one of my favorite pictures:

I Found Wes Craven's Pickup
by (HomeInMyShoes), on Flickr

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I'm having a really hard time seeing a star. Especially a five pointed one.

[/url]

Every time I see it, I just think "I love plaigarism."
Reminds me of:

I know it is supposed to be a stylized B but what the fuck is it? As a kid, I never saw the B.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:29 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Reminds me of:

I know it is supposed to be a stylized B but what the fuck is it? As a kid, I never saw the B.
I had the same issue as a kid with the B in the old Bay logo - wtf ?
First time checking out this thread - it's a gooder.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:35 PM

In Saskatchewan, the good old, straightforward corporate name of "PotashCorp" (it tells you all you need to know: we are a corporation and we do potash) has given way to the yawn-inducing name of "Nutrien" after a merger with Calgary's Agrium.

I'm going to miss the classic PotashCorp "P" in the Saskatoon skyline and on mines throughout the province.

Old:

Source

Source

New:

Source

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
You've never done business with RBC but in your experience, they're the worst - odd statement.
Wow, you're really really really not good at reading between the lines!

I had interactions with them, but due to them being laughably incompetent (apparently they're just really not interested in giving mortgages on nice mixed use buildings in downtown Sherbrooke, unlike all of BMO, Desjardins and the National Bank which are the three that have generally proven to be the most okay -- least shitty -- for me in my 12.5 years of doing real estate here) those interactions never ended up with me doing business with them.

The business venture I share with my uncle and cousin also went to RBC in the past to apply for a line of credit, and again their response was laughably unprofessional and did not result in us doing business with them.

Also, my dad was an accountant for some 25 years, and from hearing bits here and there of the sum of his customers' various banking experiences I would say the RBC had the worst "horror" stories of all major banks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:50 PM

I've always liked that name Potash. Had never seen the logo until now. I like that optical illusion in it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

otococks; Val-la

Ugliest flag ever?

wookie speedia
That Lethbridge flag has been used for as long as I can remember, officially or otherwise at least as far back as the early 1960s. It's supposedly the flag used by the American whisky traders at old Fort Whoop-Up in the 1860s and 70s.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Fun fact - both these food proceesing companies are based in NB.

McCains - Florenceville
Cavendish Farms - Dieppe (Greater Moncton)

My boss is from Northern NB. He mentioned this fact to me after I brought up my same opinion after he was telling me about some people he knows at McCains. Said he'll keep my opinion a secret from them.

Also the VP of whatever it is at my company is also from NB. In another office uptown so I've only ever spoken to him twice.

Plus a co worker from India via England spent many years at UNB and Freddy.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cough cough cough...prepare to be amazed...cough, cough, cough
Video Link
Video Link

and this: https://thewalrus.ca/prepare-to-be-amazed/

and this

bartenderone

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Which big Ontario city gets less love on SSP: Saint Catharines or Oshawa?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:57 AM

The slogan's not wrong. Last three times I've been to the shwa I was amazed by at least one sketchy person walking around. Each one a fascinating case study.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:09 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

Source: creativeoptionsregina.ca

."
I just see this:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:09 AM

The police logos of the GTA. These logos have been in my rear view mirror many, many times... eating my dust.

I like TO best. Then Peel, then OPP.

Durham is the blandest IMO. Just like their region's logo and almost all of their city and town logos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada