HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:27 PM

The top section of phase 2 ties in the colour and look of phase 1 with a modern twist ... I actually like it (although it prob should have been set back a bit more)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
I didn't explain it properly.

IBM, which is a nice add to the city, is 100 people and coming because there is provincial money backing the work they are actually doing, and city money subsidizing the office space. Hopefully it leads to more money and companies coming but there is not a big swing of private money coming in as of yet.

Bringing it back to real-estate, that is my fear with all the construction. Most of it is being bought by investors outside Hamilton, we will flood the market and once they are done it will look like we can't support condo's. You need a healthy young professional group to be able to afford all these condos, not sure if that is growing fast enough to absorb all this construction.
I don't think we should be waiting for this big swing of private money - the beauty of Hamilton is that it has been a grass roots movement and it is growing privately - IBM is only bringing 100 people but that is still 100 more people who will spend money and experience Hamilton

The real-estate market is full of investors (yes) however, there are numerous people (like myself) who are moving back to Hamilton and buying property to live in.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 7:26 PM

Phase 2 is officially 70% sold after less than one month of sales.

Last edited by hamilton23; Jun 1, 2018 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Phase 2 is officially 70% sold after less than one month of sales.

Expect the next Phase to be released very very soon
Great to hear that - Phase 3 will really change the dynamic - hope to see that one going up in 2018!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
spandrelous
New favourite word.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
That spandrelous addition is unfortunate but overall not bad!
Have you been to the Upper Penthouse level?

Just curious... as you seem to believe there won't be any spandrels on the Upper Penthouse level still. In fact, there are many many spandrels on this level. The addition next to the spandreld portion brings in a nice mix of modern and traditional, old school architecture.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:10 PM

Does no one else find this penthouse really jarring and incompatible? I don't see any unifying characteristics aside from taupe.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Does no one else find this penthouse really jarring and incompatible? I don't see any unifying characteristics aside from taupe.
I thought the same the other day when I looked at for the first time in a while. It looks very abrupt when compared to the details of the previous roof line below.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
I've never been a fan of it, and everyone I've talked to about it hates it. The original plan to twin the existing west penthouse was much better. The current addition looks like a basic suburban low-rise plopped onto a beautifully restored building.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:33 PM

I like the modern addition just fine. the original cornice really "protects" the original look, and if anything, the modern contrast helps bring attention to it.

To me it's symbolic of Hamilton's renaissance.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
I like the modern addition just fine. the original cornice really "protects" the original look, and if anything, the modern contrast helps bring attention to it.

To me it's symbolic of Hamilton's renaissance.
This!. Not to mention all of those new units in the additions have been sold...the actual response from buyers, visitors to our sales centre, major construction and architecture professionals has been overwhelmingly positive about the additions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
This is the general sentiment I hear when discussing the downtown. It was an unfortunate decision by the developer to go with such a jarring cap to a historical building. The site would have been much better served if the penthouse was designed with homage to the architecture of the original building it sits atop, and the modern architecture was restricted to the new towers only. I would also have rather the develop chose to brick the south walls and the new west wing rather than using slab concrete forms that mimic brickwork, but come across as cheap exterior finish that really don't suit this grand dame.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
This is the general sentiment I hear when discussing the downtown. It was an unfortunate decision by the developer to go with such a jarring cap to a historical building. The site would have been much better served if the penthouse was designed with homage to the architecture of the original building it sits atop, and the modern architecture was restricted to the new towers only.
Opinions are what makes the world go round. The problem with the opinion some of you have regarding the penthouse and other addition doesn't ring true for most Hamiltonians, purchasers and potential buyers at RC... Not gonna knock the opinion you have, just saying most people disagree with your sentiment

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Opinions are what makes the world go round. The problem with the opinion some of you have regarding the penthouse and other addition doesn't ring true for most Hamiltonians, purchasers and potential buyers at RC... Not gonna knock the opinion you have, just saying most people disagree with your sentiment
Are you going to knock every single semi negative post about the development?

This thead is turning into something like Russian state driven propaganda. The sales pitch routine is growing old(and based on sales isnt needed).

IMO the addition looks hastly tacked on and does not fit in well with the rest of the building(no matter how fast they sold).

Glad its selling well though. The downtown needs more ppl with disposable income in it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:28 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I don't mean spandrel, it just looks like spandrel.....by all means, I'm not bashing the developer or Hamilton. I just think the penthouse addition could've been a bit more in tune with the architecture of the original hotel...it clashes design-wise. I'm pretty impressed with the restoration efforts, and the next few phases.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Are you going to knock every single semi negative post about the development?

This thead is turning into something like Russian state driven propaganda. The sales pitch routine is growing old(and based on sales isnt needed).

IMO the addition looks hastly tacked on and does not fit in well with the rest of the building(no matter how fast they sold).

Glad its selling well though. The downtown needs more ppl with disposable income in it.

Did you read my last comment King 10? Haha. I stated that opinions are welcomed. I'm simply pointing out facts compared to online message board posts!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I don't mean spandrel, it just looks like spandrel.....by all means, I'm not bashing the developer or Hamilton. I just think the penthouse addition could've been a bit more in tune with the architecture of the original hotel...it clashes design-wise. I'm pretty impressed with the restoration efforts, and the next few phases.
I misunderstood! My bad.

The spandreld top of the building is actually restored on the penthouse level!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Did you read my last comment King 10? Haha. I stated that opinions are welcomed. I'm simply pointing out facts compared to online message board posts!
So yes.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
So yes.
Why don't you PM me

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:
What facts?

You're selling too hard. It's a nice project and they have a good thing going on. There's no need to defend every aspect of this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton