HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:21 AM
TL;DR

The real barrier is the floodwall and Belt Railway, and it will still be there even if they tear down the WTC. Why blame a singular building for an urban planning failure?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:02 AM

I don't think I blamed the building at all for that failure, more that its removal could help the whole situation. Especially with all the other riverfront development planned. I don't especially dislike the building, I wish the W would have chosen it instead of their Poydras location actually.

It just seems in our current market you cannot expect all three (225 Baronne, Plaza, and WTC) to all be restored or converted to hotel/office/residential/mix use to be converted in the near future. I sure hope we could, but not the case. What would everyones preferred order of redevelopment? Or ideas for each property?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
and let us not forget the plaza is ugly as sin...(my and i think a popular consensus.)
Plaza Tower is possibly my favorite local skyscraper. It's distinctive, and if it was given a facelift it could look very good indeed.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
TL;DR

WTC should be first in line for any redevelopment. It's at a hugely important site in the city fabric.

Any redevelopment should re-work the base so that it allows for more flow between Convention Center Blvd and Spanish Plaza. Maybe a big staircase on either side and a deck over the train tracks... The new base should also be integrated with a new ferry terminal. Hotel seems to be the best use for this property, since it's so close to the French Quarter and it has small floorplates with no parking.

Plaza Tower is really peripheral, but I'd love to see it brought back into commerce because it has its own parking and does not need to rely on outside garages or lots. Residential makes the most sense there.

225 Baronne is the only one of the three that can still be used for offices due to its large floorplates. I'd reclad it with some sort of high-performance skin and then try to attract corporate tenants.

Recladding in Indianapolis

Since each building is best-suited for a different market, I don't see why their redevelopments need to be mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 10:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
Plaza Tower is possibly my favorite local skyscraper. It's distinctive, and if it was given a facelift it could look very good indeed.
I agree

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 3:49 AM

Great article about Plaza Tower

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...leans_sol.html

The developer plans a mixture of condos, apartments, offices, and a gym. I hope he modernizes the facade a little too.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:07 AM

That T-P article really laid out his vision quite well for the Plaza Tower. Hoping it all comes to fruition. Will be great to see that building back in commerce. I actually like the design of the building...mainly because it's so strikingly different.

I also really like the outlet mall/shopping center idea for the old Six Flags site. According to Census 2010 figures, there are around 65,000 people living in New Orleans East with a median household income of $33,277. Thus, a built in market for some type of commercial development is already in place. NOE is also sort of out on island due to the Industrial Canal, so I'm sure that the residents there would prefer to shop closer to home.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

The developer plans a mixture of condos, apartments, offices, and a gym. I hope he modernizes the facade a little too.
Love the idea of designated apartments that can be rented for "tailgating" for sporting events. Unique idea. Would only work in certain areas but plaza tower is in great proximity to all the action. The surrounding parking lots are a hot spot for tailgating already.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 1:42 PM
TL;DR

I like the tailgating idea because the units would be quite unique. I might be interested in one even though I have no intention of tailgating inside. (outside is where it's at...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I also really like the outlet mall/shopping center idea for the old Six Flags site. According to Census 2010 figures, there are around 65,000 people living in New Orleans East with a median household income of $33,277. Thus, a built in market for some type of commercial development is already in place. NOE is also sort of out on island due to the Industrial Canal, so I'm sure that the residents there would prefer to shop closer to home.
Yeah, sounds like they're planning something like the Boardwalk in Shreveport.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 3:11 PM

Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

I'm just glad it's in the hands of a seasoned local professional...I think it'll be important to redevelop it in the right way. Any out of towner can come in and buy one of the modern towers on Poydras and manage them well...but this little cookie needs some TLC and creativity that I think only a knowledgeable local can bring to the table.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 8:20 PM
-

New Items on Bidclerk:

1458675 New Orleans, LA Office, Restaurant, Retail 12/02/2011
Description Tenant improvements for a commercial building in New Orleans. Design plans call for the tenant up-fit for a two-story, 11,000-square-foot commercial building, with designated office space on the second floor, and either retail or restaurant space on...Click here for complete Project Details

1133041 New Orleans, LA Educational, Fitness / Rec Centers 12/01/2011
Description An apparent low bidder has been announced. The Archdiocese of New Orleans Building Office (ANOBO) received sealed Bids on the Multi-Purpose Building for Resurrection of Our Lord School at 4861 Rosalia Dr. New Orleans, Louisiana, 70125 until 3:00 P...Click here for complete Project Details

Also saw that a bid was going out for countdown timers all over downtown. Those are much needed!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Also saw that a bid was going out for countdown timers all over downtown. Those are much needed!
Agreed. And if we could go as far as synchronizing traffic lights, we'd be a real, honest-to-goodness, late 20th-century city.

Was going to ask what that building is but from the url it looks to be part of the LSU campus.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 8:59 PM

Rendering

Tennis....

You didn't say what the rendering above is for though it looks like one of the older LSUHSC buildings...?? Oh, the source of the picture is the NO Levee and they have a satirical article about using elevation grants to complete the funding for the LSU VA hospital since it's in a floodzone..."solving 2 problems at once."

It would be nice to have the countdown timers...we could join the league of modern cities, albeit 20 years later!!!!

Chris From no: Most of the lights downtown are "fairly" synchronized. Granted the city could do a much better job as a whole, but on Poydras they are synced in both directions. If you dont' think so then go and wait until the redlight at Loyola (riverbound) turns red. Then get in the lane and wait for it and the others in front of you to turn green in a timed pattern.

Last edited by IceCream; Dec 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM. Reason: lights

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Tennis....

You didn't say what the rendering above is for though it looks like one of the older LSUHSC buildings...?? Oh, the source of the picture is the NO Levee and they have a satirical article about using elevation grants to complete the funding for the LSU VA hospital since it's in a floodzone..."solving 2 problems at once."

It would be nice to have the countdown timers...we could join the league of modern cities, albeit 20 years later!!!!

Chris From no: Most of the lights downtown are "fairly" synchronized. Granted the city could do a much better job as a whole, but on Poydras they are synced in both directions. If you dont' think so then go and wait until the redlight at Loyola (riverbound) turns red. Then get in the lane and wait for it and the others in front of you to turn green in a timed pattern.
Haven't noticed that. I've never been driving around the city and said "wow, whoever designed this street really knew what they were doing". I just remember driving in Albuquerque in the late 90's and not hitting a light for what seemed like 5 miles.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Haven't noticed that. I've never been driving around the city and said "wow, whoever designed this street really knew what they were doing". I just remember driving in Albuquerque in the late 90's and not hitting a light for what seemed like 5 miles.
The traffic lights in the CBD are pretty good. Hit Canal or Poydras on green doing the speed limit and you'll make it at least halfway from I-10 to the river without stopping and vice versa.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 8:01 PM

Not to be a buzz kill but its bad for pedestrians if the lights are timed. Emphasizes driving when we should be making it easier for other modes of transportation.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
Not to be a buzz kill but its bad for pedestrians if the lights are timed. Emphasizes driving when we should be making it easier for other modes of transportation.
They get an entire signal phase where the entire intersection is red, allowing them to cross in all directions. Locals don't even observe the signals and j-walk with their on style setting them apart from tourists. Keep in mind that a good portion of traffic on these two streets are tourists coming in, who will be those very pedestrians for the next 2 to 3 days.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 10:57 PM

I stand by my original statement.

I love this thread though and all the progress being made in New Orleans! So excited about the new plan for the Plaza Tower. Sounds perfect and the location is suddenly hot.

I have the utmost faith in Domain Cos also.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
I walk when the street is empty, when the tourists see me, they follow. Only time I wait is crossing Canal.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:57 PM

Above rendering is one on LSUHSC campus already in commerce.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations