HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:02 AM

The monstrosity of corrugated aluminum

Board members often complain of boring rectangular designs with similar materials. I would prefer a boring rectangular building with beige or red brick to this. I am always thinking about how well the building will be maintained and how the design contributes or hinders this. How do you deal with water runoff, cleaning, refinishing surfaces if needed.

It is sad to see thoughtful beautiful buildings such as the Metropolitan and the adjacent park and then walk a few blocks and see things such as the Lovejoy building. For now, some are placated by the shiny surfaces and fresh materials. I wonder what it will look like in ten years.

We need to be understanding of the fiscal constraints and other needs, but not give a free pass to those who give us monstrosities like the Lovejoy. I would rather have buildings in between gems that are bland than something that is merely different.

On a positive note. Take a look at the Aqua in Chicago. The curtian ended up being a regular curtian, but this building is innovative. I especially like the garden/park on the platform and the illusion presented by the curved outcroppings of the decks. Hopefully you can do that with out incurring too much expense.
I wonder if you could develop a forms kit that would allow you to do curves without increasing the cost too much. What do you think of injecting green space into the designs? I don't especially like parking structures and would prefer that they are integrated with retail, office space, and or residencies, but I like the green spaces that are designed into the parking structure near the pearl water front buildings and the Encore. Speaking of the Encore. I think you guys should give the Encore less criticism and direct your energy towards things like this shack / trailer home that is bolted onto the Lovejoy. It ranks up there with the condos in NW near the Starbucks at the northern edge of 23rd ave.

Would appreciate any comments on the Aqua. The renderings overstate the design, and some photos of the current construction understate the finished appearance. Take some time to look at it. I especially like the green space on the platform that reclaims the space and provides a green contrast. I also really like the visual effect of the curved decks / outcroppings. It seems much more doable after watching the projects progress. When I first saw the renderings, I thought that the Aqua would be ridiculously expensive to build, but I realize that the project is actually simpler, but innovative.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...99367&page=131
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=99367

Last edited by Castillonis; Feb 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 1:46 AM

The Apple store and Kurisu were under the Landmarks Commission because of their specific location. The Lovejoy is under the Design Review Commission. Different people. Different motivations. Different sensibilities.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:32 AM

*shrug* they can't all be above average.

I'll hold out personal judgment until the facade on the tower portion goes up.
I have some hope this can be tied together a bit better, there is still some trim and details to go on the podium that can make this a little better.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 5:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
The Apple store and Kurisu were under the Landmarks Commission because of their specific location. The Lovejoy is under the Design Review Commission. Different people. Different motivations. Different sensibilities.
Good to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
*shrug* they can't all be above average.

I'll hold out personal judgment until the facade on the tower portion goes up.
I have some hope this can be tied together a bit better, there is still some trim and details to go on the podium that can make this a little better.
We shall see. This project really reminds me of the stuff that they build up in Seattle... except it has a tower portion.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 7:30 AM

Update 3-16-08:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 4:01 AM

Update 3-22-08:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 8:13 AM

Update 3-29-08. Seems like they are stuck in SLOW motion on this one.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 7:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hahahahaha

This thing is like a taller (and definitely nicer) version of the cheapo Seattle midrise buildings popping up in Belltown: corrugated metal siding!

Except that brick really throws me off... kind of eclectic.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 8:11 PM

If you go on the north side of the East side of the building there are two different colors of brick... and the corrugated metal... and the skinny windows...

For those of you who don't like the Wyatt next door, I think this hideous building makes the Wyatt seem pretty nice.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 6:41 PM

this is awful. I hope this Seattle developer doesn't build anything else from scratch. Between this and their Safeway building with all of the above ground parking, I think we're getting stuck with eye soars for years to come.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 12:16 AM

The Fugjoy.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:43 AM

^Hahahaa....Dougall should rename the thread!

I agree BrandonPDX...however LRS should take a lot of the blame. Why do they only design shitty shit?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 3:45 PM

does anyone know how many floors / how many feet?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:16 PM

LRS didn't design The Lovejoy. The architect is Seattle-based GGLO.
According to their project site, it's a 16-story tower.

http://www.gglo.com/our-work/project...Id=167&catId=2

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:56 PM

Haha oh my god the thread actually got renamed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 5:45 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderryderwood View Post

I think that firm needs a swift kick to the balls every time they talk about designing something this ugly. Maybe after enough kicks they will start designing better. Well when someone asks you why not use corrugated metal for siding, you can point to this tower and say, do I want to design a giant shed??

Oh no what, That just caused me to think of this, we could call this Portland's Garden Shed building It is where we keep all of the cities gardening tools that help make us a "greener" city. See, there is a bright side to this tower

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:12 PM

Quote:

oooops, my apologies to LRS. Even though they have plenty in this town to be embarrassed about.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 9:45 PM

LRS designed the safeway monstrosity next door. The Lovejoy is a success compared to that thing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:24 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I went to their website. They are actually featuring it as a work-in-progress/Multifamily.

Quote:
THE LOVEJOY

Drawing its inspiration from the surrounding context of warehouse loading docks and concrete and steel of Portland’s Pearl District, THE LOVEJOY contributes 231 market-rate apartments to the neighborhood, most of them contained in 13 tower levels that rise above a three-story base with parking and retail. The full block site is bounded on each side by an active street with established use and character. In response, GGLO designed this "building in the round" to present a different face to each streetscape.

Low-rise retail and loft elements wrap the base of the L-shaped high-rise tower combined with two levels of naturally ventilated, above-grade parking with different compositions of brick, glazed storefronts, and metal siding materials selected to complement each streetscape’s unique character. The tower’s “dithered” window pattern, lighter brick material, and sculptural roof quality suggest a sense of movement that contrasts with the dark brick base and offsets the density of building mass.

The project includes many sustainable features and is pursuing LEED® Silver Certification. The eco roofs over the south and west loft units provide the project with a significant bonus in floor area ratio. Drought-tolerant plants on a strict watering schedule will reduce water use while cooling rooftops to improve thermal comfort for occupants and helping to mitigate storm water flows. Windows along the south façades of the low-rise residential loft units feature solar shades of industrial metal grating.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 12:33 AM

I hope our design commission is so appalled they don't let something like this pass again! HORRID loft units to top it off! That whole wall should be windows as opposed to the little sliver window in the bed area and one window in the living room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland