099 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

102 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Video Link

~Corey

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:36 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for the pics, Nexis4Jersey!

I like your subway shots. Newark looks nice.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:45 PM
Ex Houstonian

My only memories from Newark were that it was the biggest ghetto craphole I'd ever seen, sorry. But I'm sure there is tons of amazing architecture and density.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:29 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
My only memories from Newark were that it was the biggest ghetto craphole I'd ever seen, sorry. But I'm sure there is tons of amazing architecture and density.
I did a photo series last summer on Newark...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199460

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198745

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198716

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:50 PM
Red brick mama.

Great thread! Newark's transit system is better than most cities twice its size.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Great thread! Newark's transit system is better than most cities twice its size.
They plan on expanding , so 3 New Light Rail Extensions by 2030 to other nearby cities.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:34 PM

Beautiful, I needed this. Deep down I really do like Newark. I see the potential and I want the city to succeed. But every time I see the city I can't help but cry at what could have been had the city not leveled half of itself to the ground. Just imagine what Lincoln Park would be like had the brownstones been preserved! It'd definitely be the next hot neighborhood today.

With so many damn parking lots, it's a fucking shame Newark continues to demolish its old city fabric. I hear S. Klein On The Square and all the other landmark buildings around it are gonna get demolished soon. Really retarded, Newark. I've seen buildings, in The Bronx, in much worse condition come back to life.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
I hear S. Klein On The Square and all the other landmark buildings around it are gonna get demolished soon. Really retarded, Newark. I've seen buildings, in The Bronx, in much worse condition come back to life.
S Klein is being replaced by two new towers for the new Prudential HQ.

I agree Newark hasn't done a good job of historic preservation, but a new Prudential HQ is much more important, IMO. Much of the old downtown retail is being converted into lofts anyways, so the fabric will remain, for the most part.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
Beautiful, I needed this. Deep down I really do like Newark. I see the potential and I want the city to succeed. But every time I see the city I can't help but cry at what could have been had the city not leveled half of itself to the ground. Just imagine what Lincoln Park would be like had the brownstones been preserved! It'd definitely be the next hot neighborhood today.

With so many damn parking lots, it's a fucking shame Newark continues to demolish its old city fabric. I hear S. Klein On The Square and all the other landmark buildings around it are gonna get demolished soon. Really retarded, Newark. I've seen buildings, in The Bronx, in much worse condition come back to life.
Alot of the Parking lots in Downtown will be covered by 2025 , I can't say that for the rest of Newark but there's been a Boom as with the rest of this region. Theres over 25 projects underway , High Rise Construction , Rehabbing old buildings for Mixed usage , alot of new hotels are planned , a convention center , a few new schools. They've stopped allowing demolitions for the most part however a few Downtown Buildings will go to make way for New Corporate offices like Prudential , Sony North America , alot of new high rises will have multiple slots for retail on street level.... Theres alot of infill going on in University Heights and the Ironbound , mostly mixed use....and in North Newark. In the Ironbound there encouraging businesses to take off the vinyl sidings....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:35 AM

I've been in Newark the past 6 years going to school and now working in the city. Its made baby steps in its revitalization efforts such as trying to bring in mixed use/residential space to the downtown, like the new converted lofts on broad street. Richard Meier's Teacher's Village is another great project that hopefully will breath some new life that dreadful area just west of Broad.

If there was ever something that could really help Newark get some life, it would be more mixed use buildings like these.

All n all though, Newark still looks pretty rough other than the bubbles of the ironbound and univ heights.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:18 PM

^^Forest Hill and other areas aren't what I would call in rough shape. In fact some are doing just as good if not better than the Ironbound.

Bottom line is the Klein building is in such poor condition(along with other ancient relics downtown) that it NEEDS to come down. Would you rather have empty lots that could be built on or empty buildings?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
S Klein is being replaced by two new towers for the new Prudential HQ.

I agree Newark hasn't done a good job of historic preservation, but a new Prudential HQ is much more important, IMO. Much of the old downtown retail is being converted into lofts anyways, so the fabric will remain, for the most part.
Newark has done a terrible job on everything, I'm afraid. Teachers village seems to be the first big development done right, finally! Most new builds are a continuation of the sterile and cold developments with no ground level retail that just adds more dead space to Newark streets. (For example, the new Panasonic headquarters as well as the new Prudential development, from what we can all see in the renderings.)

I still think the best thing would have been to preserve the existing buildings or at least keep their facades but have new structures in their place. That way Halsey can continue to be developed as Newarks "boutique/restaurant" corridor. The new sterile Prudential development completely destroys this vision, or at least interrupts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Alot of the Parking lots in Downtown will be covered by 2025 , I can't say that for the rest of Newark but there's been a Boom as with the rest of this region. Theres over 25 projects underway , High Rise Construction , Rehabbing old buildings for Mixed usage , alot of new hotels are planned , a convention center , a few new schools. They've stopped allowing demolitions for the most part however a few Downtown Buildings will go to make way for New Corporate offices like Prudential , Sony North America , alot of new high rises will have multiple slots for retail on street level.... Theres alot of infill going on in University Heights and the Ironbound , mostly mixed use....and in North Newark. In the Ironbound there encouraging businesses to take off the vinyl sidings....
Actually more demolitions are on the way. An entire block of buildings on Market street is slated to come down for more office space. Again, totally unnecessary when almost half of downtown is surface parking anyway. Is Sony North America relocating to Newark? It'd be great if you can provide a link. As for the the vinyl sidings, good grief! It's about time they started getting rid of those.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:54 AM

I hate to say it because I would love to see Newark come back, but as is oft repeated here regardng Sunbelt cities - where are all the damn people?

I see lot's of traffic like everywhere else, but hardly any pedestrians at all.

And I've been to the Ironbound and absolutely loved the Portuguese food there, so please don't brand me as a hater. I see tons of unrealized potential. Thankfully the place has an absolutely FANTASTIC Mayor.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I hate to say it because I would love to see Newark come back, but as is oft repeated here regardng Sunbelt cities - where are all the damn people?

I see lot's of traffic like everywhere else, but hardly any pedestrians at all.
Most jump right on public transit either bus or down into the Subway , it was 15F that evening so not many ppl stuck around. More people are out when its warmer , now that the Downtown is becoming nicer.....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Most jump right on public transit either bus or down into the Subway , it was 15F that evening so not many ppl stuck around. More people are out when its warmer , now that the Downtown is becoming nicer.....
Well, that explains it in the case of these pics -thanks.

However, the last time I was there was in June and the heart of the city looked pretty much the same way.

The large majority of my NJ friends have nothing but absolute and total disdain for the place, very much like Michiganders I know in regards to Detroit. That needs to change.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Well, that explains it in the case of these pics -thanks.

However, the last time I was there was in June and the heart of the city looked pretty much the same way.

The large majority of my NJ friends have nothing but absolute and total disdain for the place, very much like Michiganders I know in regards to Detroit. That needs to change.
Depends on what day you go , not every city is like Manhattan in terms of activity , only Hoboken , New Haven and parts of Jersey City fit this description on a daily basis. The Rest of the region is only busy on work days. As for Newark's bad reputation , its slowly changing abet slowly. Its mainly due to the New York City Media which likes to slam Urban Jersey on every crime related issue , blowing it up into something its not. Jersey City and Hoboken shed there bad rep 10 years ago , i'm sure in other 10 years so will Newark , Elizabeth , Paterson. There are numerous projects underway in the Downtown , North , and East Wards , along with numerous festivals and events at the NJPAC , Prudential and Newark Museum which combined have attracted over 2 million I would have to check on that number it could actually be higher. Most Prudential and NJPAC events sell out , The Ironbound has a festival that attracts over 760,000 it used to be higher but they capped it due to safety , the Cherry Blossom Festival keeps growing aswell , about 150,000 attend that... All Event numbers keep rising , new Downtown Businesses are opening up to cater to these events , and residents. Nice places to , not ghetto crap.... Newark still has a very long way to go , but I feel like its at least on the right path. There cleaning up the riverfront , creating a park and shops....on both sides...
There even upgrading the streets adding in pedestrian safety features and Bike lanes , and Bus lanes.....they do have a LRT plan but no funding.....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:24 AM

Awesome! I haven't been to Brick City in ages.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos