HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:37 AM

A sad day for Storyeum may prove a boon to bargain hunters

Quote:
A sad day for Storyeum may prove a boon to bargain hunters

VANCOUVER -- It was a $22-million dream that was supposed to merge British Columbia's history with Vancouver's cultural pulse. Instead, Storyeum went belly up last fall, and tomorrow an auctioneer's gavel will put the last nail in the coffin of the failed tourist attraction.

Although the final chapter in the Gastown museum's short-lived history might pain entrepreneurs and history buffs alike, it might prove a boon to bargain hunters, as everything inside the building will be up for grabs.

Opened in 2004, Storyeum was a 65-minute experience that merged going to a museum with a theatrical performance. Visitors started in a 200-person elevator that took them down to the main museum while they watched a light show. The tour then proceeded through seven other sets that depicted scenes from the province's history using actors and musicians.

Yesterday, Robert Kavanagh, one of the auctioneers who will conduct tomorrow's sale, walked through the echoing underground rooms of the 105,000-square-foot city-owned property, pointing out the items that will be on the block. He stopped at Lot 974 - a full-sized, working replica of a steam engine, complete with tracks and a coal cart.

"Who knows how much a steam engine could go for these days," Mr. Kavanagh said.

"I'd say somewhere between $1,000 and $10,000, but if $500 is the highest bid, it goes for $500."

None of the 983 items up for auction has a minimum bid, meaning a full-size model of B.C.'s coastal rain forest could theoretically sell for a dollar.

Successful bidders must pay a 15-per-cent buyer's premium and are responsible for the removal of their purchases. Mr. Kavanagh said he thinks that might drive down the prices of some of the larger items, such as the steam train or buildings and their contents from the replica of Barkerville, B.C., circa 1862.

Mr. Kavanagh said he expects the auction, which starts at 11 a.m. tomorrow, will attract about 100 people, likely from the educational and arts communities looking for set pieces and costumes.

One person who will not attend is Storyeum's creator, Danny Guillaume.

"It'd be an emotional attachment, and I don't really need to be attached to something that doesn't exist. Whenever I walk by it or see it, it's tough," Mr. Guillaume said in an interview yesterday, although he added that he would like his computer back, as well as some photos in the museum that were of sentimental value.

"Every piece of it was a lot of work. It was a labour of love for sure and it was tough to give up, but such is life."

Mr. Kavanagh said he thinks the auction could raise around $100,000, although it is difficult to predict, given the unusual nature of the items and the lack of a minimum bid. All of the money will go to the City of Vancouver, which was owed more than $5-million in unpaid debt and loans when Storyeum went bankrupt.

Mr. Guillaume said he thinks the venture failed for financial reasons, not because the idea was faulty.

"We did put almost 600,000 people through there, and that's not huge, but it was the reaction was getting better and better. It just takes time in the tourism industry to build up the credibility," he said. Admission for a family of four was $89.95 - a price printed on a board at the front that will also be for sale.

The city has not announced plans for the building at 142 Water St., although proposals were being solicited last month. Andrew Wilhelm-Boyles, the executive director of Vancouver's Alliance for Art and Culture, said he recently toured the facility with several other members of Vancouver's arts community.

"What we know is that the artists feel there is a lack of usable spaces in the city, particularly small- and medium-size ones," he said, adding he had not heard any concrete plans for the site.

One of the concepts being kicked around, he said, was an "arts experience centre" for local groups to rehearse plays that the public could also walk through.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:10 PM
Website Manager

I was always suspicious about that place.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:47 PM

I would love for us to get a mega club, something along these lines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Sound

Heck, even a poor man's version of that, somewhere people go to dance that plays the right music for it. Our "top" clubs are pretty lame, top 40 music and dudes in shiny shirts grinding whatever they can. The Storyeum space, or even part of it, would be perfect for a world class club.

Last edited by MichaelChampion; Aug 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Wasn't done.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChampion View Post

Heck, even a poor man's version of that, somewhere people go to dance that plays the right music for it. Our "top" clubs are pretty lame, top 40 music and dudes in shiny shirts grinding whatever they can. The Storyeum space, or even part of it, would be perfect for a world class club.
Making a high-end venue doesn't make the people who frequent it automatically become high-end. This has been tried time and time again in Vancouver - think of the poor guys who licensed LA's Skybar and launched it to much hype and huge expense on Smithe / Granville, a few years back. Lovely 3-floor building, open-air patio, 3 bars, food service, great VIP area...3 years later it's now an Irish Pub!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. It's gonna be many a decade before the Average Joe Vancouverite wants to take off his working man's cap, put on some shoes instead of trainers, pull up his pants from around his bum and not get so drunk he punches-out the nearest person who looks at him and shouts "WOOHOO!!!" and dances the hick-dance in celebration. Geez...it's so "Wild West" going clubbing down Granville, I weep for the days back at MoS and Fabric and Cargo.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:12 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I'll be the one buying their files so that I can find the memo that explains how to pronounce "Storyeum".

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:00 PM
loafing in lotusland

I'm glad I had the chance to go while it was open. Wish I had gone more than once, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:07 PM
Canadian Urbanite

I heard that the Storyeum was very interesting and well worth the cost.

I've always wondered if it is the same guy who developed the Tunnels of Moose Jaw. ( http://www.tunnelsofmoosejaw.com/ ) They are extremely popular, a lot of fun too.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:16 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yes it was the same company. As far as I know the tunnels are still open in Moose Jaw.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:28 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Yes it was the same company. As far as I know the tunnels are still open in Moose Jaw.
Yes they are.

They are extremely popular. It's actually quite shocking to see how many tourists Moose Jaw draws because of the Tunnels, among other things. The tunnels are always packed with tourists.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Making a high-end venue doesn't make the people who frequent it automatically become high-end. This has been tried time and time again in Vancouver - think of the poor guys who licensed LA's Skybar and launched it to much hype and huge expense on Smithe / Granville, a few years back. Lovely 3-floor building, open-air patio, 3 bars, food service, great VIP area...3 years later it's now an Irish Pub!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. It's gonna be many a decade before the Average Joe Vancouverite wants to take off his working man's cap, put on some shoes instead of trainers, pull up his pants from around his bum and not get so drunk he punches-out the nearest person who looks at him and shouts "WOOHOO!!!" and dances the hick-dance in celebration. Geez...it's so "Wild West" going clubbing down Granville, I weep for the days back at MoS and Fabric and Cargo.
haha

and if i see one more girl wear flip flops when she goes clubbing i swear i will dance on her toes

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChampion View Post

I salute you for thinking big, and is one of few things that could work in such an unusual space, but the chances that the morons in city hall would ever allow such a facility is slim and none. (and one of those 2 just left town).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post

Keep in mind that Skybar (no affiliation with the LA club) is now an Irish Pub (although the owner is still the same), did not close down due to lack of business, rather because city hall did everything in its power to make life miserable for the operators. (If ever there was a glaring example of the cities' caustic attitude towards business, this was it, almost to WallMart proportions) . So rather than loosing revenue while he fought the city in the courts, the owner finally gave up and went to a quieter, more bland form of bar entertainment.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:06 AM

I think that Skybar's plan was flawed from the start, given that the rooftop restaurant area was really all patio under leaky awnings (and which had to close at a specified time like all other patios in the City).
The space was too chopped up and the dance floors were small and the ceilings were low. The space is probably better suited to the pub format.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 7:52 PM

that starbucks and the street facade always seems unfinished or temporary to me when i go past - its just doesn't feel complete

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think that Skybar's plan was flawed from the start, given that the rooftop restaurant area was really all patio under leaky awnings (and which had to close at a specified time like all other patios in the City).
The space was too chopped up and the dance floors were small and the ceilings were low. The space is probably better suited to the pub format.
Its because of the city's wacky bylaws that the layout was what it was. Somebody goes out and tries to do something different, and in comes the city to drown out any creativity with oceans of red tape and downright hostility.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion